Getting the right weight rifle

loren holland

I grew up a horrible shooter. My dad put a .30-06 in my hands when it was too much for me. He gave me rem corelokt 180s because there were elk and deer overlapping. It wasn't until, the Army put 5.56 in my hands that I learned to shoot well. I've spent 27 years since then developing knowledge, skill, expertise and a love of shooting and hunting.
So the point of this is, that a few years ago I had a theft that left me starting over, building a stable of guns. I've tried to make the most of my "opportunity", to choose each new purchase to fill a real niche. My first choice was of course a 300WM. With that, I could hunt everything minus dangerous game, and then as I expanded my stable again I could fill in more niche calibers…and so we come to the question " whats next?"

In buying the 300WM, I had never shot more than a 30-06. I was really worried about recoil, and bought a rem 700 5r that weighed 8.5 lbs, add a 32 oz scope, rings bases, ammo, a qd/ muzzle brake, and a 28 oz yhm can ( its old, I know theres much lighter ones now), and I'm pushing 13 pounds. It shoots well, a bear, many white tail, a few hogs, and lots of steel have been "rung" up. But at 13 pounds I have trouble lugging it around, and the can over a 24" barrel becomes unwieldy. I was thinking of biting off on the mountain rifle craze, and purchasing a lightweight 7-08. Thats when dome army buddies had to chime in. One quoted the 13 Warrior and simply said, grow stronger. Others said, you've already got your all around caliber, just make the rifle lighter or get a new one.

What do you consider a "walking weight" rifle in 300WM? I got it that recoil tolerance is subjective. I can handle .30-06 type recoil just fine ( 8.5 pounds with scope). So whats your experience with heavier calibers, at finding the sweet spot of shootability vs carrying weight?

I think there's definitely a point of diminishing returns when you start trying to go light weight with a rifle. The lightest rifle I own weighs 6.5lbs and with the scope is 7.75 lbs it's a 300 wsm It's about as light as I will ever go with a rifle. It has a four port titanium beast brake to tame the recoil but you still know when it goes off. For a 30 cal magnum I think 10lbs scoped is a good. It gets hard to justify a magnum cartridge when you have to cut the barrel off at 20" to get it to the weight you want. A 7mm 08 will recoil less at the same weight I'm building a 284 Winchester for my wife that will be about the same weight as my 300 wsm hopefully the recoil is not too obnoxious for her. I'm planning to shoot 162-168 class bullets in it. This build will probably will be close to a 7mm-08 with hopefully around 100 more fps. A good muzzle brake helps a lot. I don't have a suppressor so I can't really tell you what it would do for your recoil.

Lightweight and heavy recoiling rifles are MUCH harder to shoot well.
If you plan to keep the suppressor, I would say not less than 10# all in for a
300WM w. Can. Put a good 5 port brake, and 9# becomes manageable.
Something like a 7RM pushing a 175-184 would lighten up the recoil impulse, but still be enough for elk. You could also shave weight down to 8# all in.

I would look at a Kelbly Nanook, Defiance AnTi X, or Lone Peak Fuzion Ti to get action weight down. Something like a CF or #3 fluted, full carbon fiber non-adjustable stock like a Manners EH1, and a BDL. Scope of choice is where you can shave or add weight pretty quickly too. Balance quality and features with weight and price.

Wby Backcountry 2.0 Ti Carbon is 6.1lbs in a 300 Wby and it set their in house accuracy record at 3 shots 100yd a .06" group - so really 1 hole. They also make it without the carbon wrapped barrel and it weighs 5.6lbs. I suspect the recoil will be more than noticeable, but if you are gonna stick a can on it, well. I'd love one if I had $4k laying around with no use.

Under 9 lbs. My 28 nosler is 8.75 scoped. My 300wsm is 8.5. Neither recoil too much for me but I am not recoil sensitive either. The 28 has brake the 300 does not. Although my son shot my 300 for the first time this winter and was leaking a bit out of his forehead. But he had never shot a magnum before. My 28 with brake I would consider light recoil.

My Western hunting, whether walking, or in a hide/stand, there is frequently the possibility of a shot at long range(. Given this, I prefer my LR rifles weight no less then 10.5#….Primarily for stability/shot certainty. Having spent the first half of my 50+ year hunting career carrying lighter sporters hunting mostly mid-range, adapting my medium build to manage the heavier rifles was an easier transition then I expected. Particularly, once I committed to the change and was able to cross the "mental barrier". Taking up PRS competition with 16-18# rifles for full day matches in the hot summer months not only helped with my physical development, but also changed my perspective about rifle weight.

The 300 wm that I've been using the last few years weighs right at 7 3/4 lbs ready to go. 24 inch barrel plus brake. Been shooting the 181 gr. Hammer bullets. The recoil is plenty manageable and shoots well. And the main thing is I shoot it fairly well. My goal was to have a hunting rifle that was 7 lbs or slightly under ready to go. So I purchased a cooper Backcountry in a 300 wm and scoped it up and ready to go it was right at 7 lbs. With 150-160 class bullets I can manage the recoil and shoot the rifle fair. 180 plus class bullets the rifle is no longer fun to shoot and I don't shoot it well. It's currently at my gun smith getting a new brake to see if that tames it down. There are probably a lot of things that go into how much felt recoil a rifle is going to have. But for right now for me a lb. makes a difference. Good luck with your search.

OP - What do you consider a "walking weight" rifle in 300WM? I got it that recoil tolerance is subjective. I can handle .30-06 type recoil just fine ( 8.5 pounds with scope). So whats your experience with heavier calibers, at finding the sweet spot of shootability vs carrying weight?

1654694922495.png

I couldn't agree more, especially with a full length 26" barrel plus the suppressor. It is ungainly and can be problematic where forested land is concerned. However...

Lightweight and heavy recoiling rifles are MUCH harder to shoot well.
Given this, I prefer my LR rifles weight no less then 10.5#….Primarily for stability/shot certainty.

These two statements from members with experience indicate that you might need to consider the project from the very beginning.

Too light, subjectively, can be difficult to control without the best rest affordable given your geography. Bipods are expeditious but add to your overall weight. Tripods take time to set up and you still have to carry them somehow.

The 10.5# is right in my wheelhouse. This seems to be where it is relatively easy to achieve given quality components. The obvious parts are easy to get the weights on but pay closer attention to scopes and rings. Here is where some serious ounces can be saved and should be a consideration long before the rifle parts are chosen. Be aware that some manufacturers do not pay close attention to the manufacturing of their 'lightweight' rings. If I have to machine the base of those rings to get the rings into alignment, they are not beneficial to me and make the cost of those rings substantially more.

Currently, I'm using some shorter 20" barrels in combination with suppressors in order to achieve a decent balance between weight and handling. Obviously with a 6" suppressor I have a 26" barrel but that beats a 32"+ (26+6") barrel any day for carrying.

Yes, a .300 Win. Mag. can be developed for efficiency in these shorter barrels. I usually achieve about 2950 fps using either the Berger 180 gr. Elite Hunter or the Nosler 180 gr. E-Tip. These can get you to 900 yards for over 1,000 ft/lbs.

Remember, weigh alone is not everything. If you find the perfect rifle but it's maybe a little heavier than you would like, start your pre-hunting workout a little sooner. I have to work harder/longer as I get older in order to keep up with the types of hunting I prefer.

Enjoy the process!

:)

Last edited:
300 WM - a properly fitted stock with a quality recoil pad, the rifle scoped, loaded, slung with "NO" brake …..around 8 to 8.5 pounds should be quite comfortable to shoot as well as to carry!

For someone that is sensitive to recoil, this may be a bit light! This is a "Carry Hunting Rifle", not something that someone shoots hundreds of rounds per year from the bench…..and should be considered as such!

If someone feels the need to shoot many, many rounds from the bench, load it up with brakes, heavy scopes, bipods bring it up to around 12 to 13 pounds…..and hunt from your bench or your truck! memtb

Last edited:

Recent Posts