right weight for big 338

86alaskan

So, I'm in the process of putting together a big rig, 338 RUM for elk and such. It'll be a repeater with a 26" barrel. My question is.... what weight should I shoot for? I used to have a tikka t3 lite in 338WM and it had a sharp and hard recoil shooting 250's fast. I was thinking in the 11-12lb range, but wanted to know from those who know. I'll run both suppressor and brake, and try not to carry the rifle farther than necessary. I have a carbon barrel/edge stock 300WM for hiking.

4054C9A7-CFE2-4E62-B6A7-9EB49322530C.jpeg
I have a 338 Edge that weighs 12# with Nightforce NXS scope on it.
The weight is about perfect for a carry/ shoot 338

nice rig, just what I'm looking for. I've got a manners eh1 and lightened 700 LA, so I'll have a bit of leeway for the scope and barrel. I was thinking 10lbs bare rifle would be about right. What profile and length on that barrel?

My Edge weighs 8.25 bare and comes in right at 10 lbs ready to hunt. Very easy to carry all day and it's extremely shootable with a T3 Terminator brake. My scope is a March Tactical 2.5-25x52

ok brentc, details? My main holding point right now is barrel contour. I have a nice light stock, action, BDL and I'll probably go with a VX-6hd 4-24 or something of that sort. So, I probably need to keep the barrel around 4.5lbs right? would a sendero contour put me over that?

My Edge is built on a Lone Peak Razor in a Manners EH1. The barrel is a 28" Proof 338 Sendero contour that I believe comes in at 3lbs 10 oz. The March scope is spec'd at 23.5 oz.

A SS sendero blank should be around 4.5 lbs if you flute it.

A fluted 28" SS sendero would put you around 12 lbs with a 30 oz scope, 11.5 with a VX6HD.

Where are you located anyway? I'm near Fairbanks if you want to gets your hands on a couple setups similar to what you're wanting.

If I were still in Anchorage, I'd go out and shoot with you. But.... we moved to the St. Louis Missouri area last year for work, so probably not getting out in AK to shoot for a while. I used to like going to the upper susitna range, especially when they went to 1000.

I've thought about the Proof barrel, but they're just so expensive, and I could get a nice bartlein with a deep twisted flute for half the cost and only a bit more weight. I think I can handle 12lbs all in, my 25-06 is 13 with a XTRII and as long I don't hike too much, it isn't too heavy.

A fluted sendero is a really nice setup. My 300 RUM is built similarly to my Edge, but it has a fluted Krieger Sendero. It comes in just shy of 12 lbs lbs with a Vortex AMG.

A Christensen blank is an option too for a couple hundred less than a Proof and they shoot very well. Sometimes Christensen runs a special for a free muzzle brake when you buy a barrel blank.

Last edited:
I may look christensen, I have one going on my Sako TRG 300WM as we speak. All the christensen 338 barrels I've seen though are only 1-10" twist, and I'd like a tighter twist to keep the door open for heavies

I carried a 12lb rifle up and down a mountain two round trips 25yrs ago on a Mt. Goat hunt. Never again.

My current 338 Rogue weighs about 10 1/2 lbs, completely outfitted. That's about my tolerance limit for any backpack hunting in hills and mountains.
Flatlands I could go a little heavier.

I've got two senderos in .300 RUM and even with the heavies they are very manageable.

I have a Model 70 Classic Stainless in .300 Rum as well that comes in around 8lbs that I really enjoy both carrying and shooting.

Stepping it up to the .338 Rum I think the advice you're getting above is pretty sound. With the right MB 12-13lbs should be quite tolerable. I wouldn't recommend going any lighter. My brother Jim shoots the Savage 110FCP which comes in around 11lbs loaded and while the recoil is manageable with 250's shooting it isn't a pleasant experience.

Instead of a light composite stock you might want to consider a nice laminate. I can't necessarily explain the physics involved but the felt recoil is moderated quite a bit with hardwoods and laminates over composites. They seem to absorb/dampen more of the energy instead of transferring it more directly to the shooter.

My #13 pound Edge (Holland QD brake) was very manageable. My 13 yo, 80 pound daughter shot it regularly with 300 grain bullets. My .338 RUM weighs 10.5 pounds and is very tolerable.

I don't mind shooting 300gr bullets from my 10.5lb 338 Rogue at 2950fps MV. Gotta have a good muzzle brake, of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.