right weight for big 338

To the OP. It should be noted that everyone has a different comfort/tolerance level when it comes to recoil and muzzle blast so before diving too deep into your wallet for this project I'd suggest trying to find some folks who have lighter big magnums they would be willing to let you put a few rounds through.

I have a new relatively lightweight custom Model 70 .375 Ruger that I can tolerate but I let another local guy shoot it and one pull of the trigger was all he could stand. He normally shoots a .300wm and was literally stunned at the difference in recoil between the two.

Had he spent what I did on the rifle he'd be in deep doo right now. I got it cheap because the original builder couldn't tolerate it either.

If you've been shooting the Ultra's and other large case magnums for a while it may not be an issue for you but there's a heck of a lot of "Almost new", "Low Mileage" and , "Barely Broken In" big .338's that can be had for a bargain for a reason.

Fortunately there are a number of extremely efficient brakes and suppressors available that can moderate felt recoil along with shifting mass recoil reducers and great recoil pads. Limbsavers and Decelerator pads have saved a lot of projects.

I may look christensen, I have one going on my Sako TRG 300WM as we speak. All the christensen 338 barrels I've seen though are only 1-10" twist, and I'd like a tighter twist to keep the door open for heavies

10 twist is enough for the 300s. What other bullets are you thinking about pushing with the RUM?

You might want to look at Hart for a barrel. They make a fantastic .338 tube. To the point many builders spec that brand for the various bigger .338's Longer is also better with that much powder being burned 28" minimum and 30" just looks right on a bigger caliber.

I want to be able to run the 300's probably single feed them for really long range stuff, then use something in the 250-265 range for general purpose hunting and such. I'm a fan of mono metal bullets, so I'd probably get some good hammer bullets and use those when targets turn soft. I'd like to get a 300 up around 2850, so might have to go 28" at least.

Dang Tikkamike, that seems like that's about as light as you could go without changing scopes. I'm going to shoot for 9lbs no scope, and hopefully only add 1.5 with a good scope and rings.

So, I'm in the process of putting together a big rig, 338 RUM for elk and such. It'll be a repeater with a 26" barrel. My question is.... what weight should I shoot for? I used to have a tikka t3 lite in 338WM and it had a sharp and hard recoil shooting 250's fast. I was thinking in the 11-12lb range, but wanted to know from those who know. I'll run both suppressor and brake, and try not to carry the rifle farther than necessary. I have a carbon barrel/edge stock 300WM for hiking.

If I'm going to carry it while hunting (no wheels and a Briggs engine), with proper stock fit and good recoil pad... under 10.0 lbs.

My wife is comfortable with a 9.0 lbs (scoped/loaded/slung, "no" muzzle brake) .338 Win Mag. (225's at 2950 fps). We used to cover a lot of country, you generally carry it much more than you shoot it! Now....closer to 70 than 60, we don't walk as we did. But some weight savings, pays big dividends by days end. memtb

Last edited:
Honestly it ended up an lb heavier than I had hoped. But I bought the lightest of everything I could find other than scope (obviously) I'm happy with it though. It's easy to shoot. I have only had it 2 seasons but I have killed a handful of deer and 3 elk with it. The last was a cow at 850.

I have a 338 RUM with a 26" plus 2 " brake sendero (contour 5-6) fluted. Gun weighs about 10-11lbs with a scope. Its a nice carry weight and has enough barrel weight forward to settle in nicely. I shoot the 250gr and recoil is manageable. Shooting the 300 gr recoil is much more noticeable and you start to feel it after a few shoots off the bench.

I would not go any lighter than 9-10lbs bare rifle weight.

With a Sendero contour my barrel gets very, very hot in 3 shots

Nice plinker, hadn't thought about barrel heat that much. I know my old 338WM tikka would get too hot to touch after 4 rds, basically a mag dump +1. now with another 20gr of powder, probably need to pay more attention to that. Other than my 300WM, this will be my biggest rifle.

I have a 8 12oz -338NM,26'' braked which I love as a packer.You do have to hold on to it a bit or it might kiss you,7 seasons on that rifle.Took my muley at 700+ with it this year.But my other 338NM is 11-4 oz,proof,Lonewolf tact2,scoped,2oz jewel and a joy to shoot. More of a rig gun for me but packed it 45 days one season on moose,actions and barrels a close match shoot same load out of both

My 338 NM. 26" Sendero, Defiance, McM Lazzeroni EDGE.

12lb 2oz with the NXS. Easy to shoot. My limit for carrying around.

Attachments

• 20170831_103801.jpg
    20170831_103801.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 121
The heaviest I'll build a 338 is 12.5 lb range, there is no gain in going heavier! My favorite was 8.6 lbs with a NF on it, shoots unreal and since it's light the brake is more effective in shitting down the recoil and it's a ***** cat to shoot. I personally wouldn't build myself on over 10 lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.