right weight for big 338

The easiest way to save 1lb of weight on your rifle is the scope selection. I put weight in the barrel, not the scope. My scope weighs 16oz. With Seekin's 7075 Al rings, saving another 2-3oz.
The lighter the rifle becomes, the more obnoxious a 30oz scope becomes. More so when backpack hunting.
I carried a 30oz scope with steel rings for about 3 seasons. That was enough. Never again. I have zero use for any scope weighing more than 22oz, no matter NF stamping. The lighter the scope and mounts, the better the rifle balance, and fewer chiropractic appointments.
I currently carry 3-18x Swaro Z5 scopes with BRX reticles. Completely functional for 4 seasons now with muzzle-braked 300 and 338 magnums.

I totally agree. As long as the light scope can take the punishment.

Nightforce, while heavy, with good glass, not superb glass, works. Thats why they sell and why I have 4 of them.

This has been a great thread! I've been wanting to build a big 338 as well and the weight of the rifle was a concern for me.

see now, that barrel looks pretty thin to me, what's the contour? looks like #4 or so. bet you saved quite a bit of weight with that stock too. what are your build specs?
Really don't even remember. :DHad this rifle a while and have swapped things here and there. It's a 700 lefty (only way to fly), HS Precision BDL stock w/out bedding block (aluminum pillars and bedded), Wilson sporter barrel (think they call it a #5.5, but it's pretty thin), MBM self timing 3-port brake, Nighforce 20 moa rail, Vortex 4-16x44 HS LR.
This is my workhorse and it shows. Need to paint it, hide some of the ugly.

Paperweights.
We all have our opinions...they are like armpits...no one on this site will say they are paper weights...except the internet trolls who have never used one. What about the 2.5x10 NF that weighs 20oz? That a paper weight too?

We all have our opinions...they are like armpits...no one on this site will say they are paper weights...except the internet trolls who have never used one. What about the 2.5x10 NF that weighs 20oz? That a paper weight too?
Paperweights... and fence posts too.
Sorry - I short changed their fence post value.
Better report this Post. I think that was a double slight. Must be a Forum rule prohibiting that. Especially if members own 4 of them.

Last edited:
I have a 26" #6 on my 338NM and the gun with zeiss HD5-25 scope weighs 12 lbs. Very heavy for a hunting rig but I'm a smaller guy who doesn't care to deal with large amounts of recoil. Break does a good job of that and I could go at least a lb lighter and be fine. Might get the barrel fluted down the road to save a bit on weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.