338 lapua for big game hunting?

I understand the idea of not shooting your hunting rifle a lot…. But I also disagree with it in some ways. It's one of the only rifles that has actual consequences, i don't want the one circumstance that it really matters to be with the rifle I shoot the least.

2 cents and all, if it's worth even that

My current 245gr Berger out of my 300 RUM has more range at bullet terminal velocity (1800 fps) than my 338 Lapua 300gr load. FWIW

and it shoots much easier on the shoulder ;) .
Maybe you should think about what you said and clarify. If they are "both" at 1800fps, then you can't have more energy with lighter mass.

With the 250 Berger and the 338 Lapua it is even less range. I do not have a load with it yet, looking at "numbers" of 2950 FPS start it dies off at about 975 yards.

245gr Berger at 2929 FPS start=1796 FPS at 1125 yards. 1.4 Mils drift

300gr Berger OTM at 2802 FPS start=1796 FPS at 1025 yards. 1.3 Mils drift

Don't care about energy.

Don't care about energy.
92513024-9F9F-459F-A787-F030D58DBDC2.gif

I think your 28nos with 150s shows energy doesn't kill. A bullet, traveling above its minimum speed for reliable expansion, delivered to the vitals kills. Chuck a heavier bullet out of that 28nos, and it'll kill out to any hunting distances.

Last edited:
I never minded humping mountains with heavy long barrel rifles. Like 28, 29, and 30 inch. Heavy rifles dampen recoil and allow for stable shooting platform. Some of my rifles have the taller bipods that give you time to sit down and really place your shots.

I went from using a 30-378 30 inch for years to a 338 LM 30 inch. The Lapua can launch a 245 grain faster than a 30 cal using 245's. It's just physics. 60,000 psi pushing on a the larger area base of .338 cal. Down range as the yards add up you would have to look at ballistic charts and compare bullet BC and starting velocity.

They have online bullet energy calculators. The 338 LM can take on anything in Alaska! :)

I never minded humping mountains with heavy long barrel rifles. Like 28, 29, and 30 inch. Heavy rifles dampen recoil and allow for stable shooting platform. Some of my rifles have the taller bipods that give you time to sit down and really place your shots.

I went from using a 30-378 30 inch for years to a 338 LM 30 inch. The Lapua can launch a 245 grain faster than a 30 cal using 245's. It's just physics. 60,000 psi pushing on a the larger area base of .338 cal. Down range as the yards add up you would have to look at ballistic charts and compare bullet BC and starting velocity.

They have online bullet energy calculators. The 338 LM can take on anything in Alaska! :)

Ummm...I did, see post #21

Great feedback all. Based on the feedback, it sounds like I should start reloading, try some heavier bullets in the 28 Nos and see if more is necessary. If nothing else, it would be a good education... you'll probably be seeing me soon asking about reloading equipment...
Thanks again