western big game hunting cartridge

I live in pa. also but I like the 338's. I never knew the DEER and ELK in Idaho were tougher then everywhere else. Either of the choices is good. I think the bullet used is more important. Matt

If the bullets zip right through without expansion you got the wrong bullet. If anything up close shots will destroy the bullet and no penetration. Matt

Most long range bullets dont preform well upfront... Thats the only reason I use a magnum round. For "long range"... I just happened to take a few animals at close range. 3100 fps out the muzzle, the bullet is still going about 2950 @ 100 yds. Thats to fast for expansion.
Im Shooting a 168 Berger btw. Out my 7mm mag.
Hope that clears that up.
gun)

since I have a long action that I am planning to build off of, and I already need to open up the bolt face to add a extractor to accommodate the larger cases how do you feel about the 7mm wsm in a long action? pretty close to the 7rm in velocity and I would be able to use the longer high b.c. bullets.

since I have a long action that I am planning to build off of, and I already need to open up the bolt face to add a extractor to accommodate the larger cases how do you feel about the 7mm wsm in a long action? pretty close to the 7rm in velocity and I would be able to use the longer high b.c. bullets.
It would make more sense to just go with a .280 or .280 AI if you're going that route.

You don't need a SAKO or M16 extractor just because you are going to a magnum however and opening up the bolt face is very minor work for a competent gunsmith.

Most long range bullets dont preform well upfront... Thats the only reason I use a magnum round. For "long range"... I just happened to take a few animals at close range. 3100 fps out the muzzle, the bullet is still going about 2950 @ 100 yds. Thats to fast for expansion.
Im Shooting a 168 Berger btw. Out my 7mm mag.
Hope that clears that up.
gun)
My 168 VLD's performed exemplorary at 175-225 yards, when they left the muzzle of my 7mm RM at 3,115 fps this past hunting season. So, I can't agree with your assessment.

It would make more sense to just go with a .280 or .280 AI if you're going that route.

You don't need a SAKO or M16 extractor just because you are going to a magnum however and opening up the bolt face is very minor work for a competent gunsmith.
Agreed. Opening up the bolt face for a magnum cartridge is very simple work.

I still say you would be very happy with a 7mm RemMag.

My 168 VLD's performed exemplorary at 175-225 yards, when they left the muzzle of my 7mm RM at 3,115 fps this past hunting season. So, I can't agree with your assessment.

Im just going off of my experience. I have killed 2 deer with those bullets at less then 100 yds. Bullet placement was right behind the shoulder. Neither round hit a bone. Exit hole was the same size as the entrance. Telling me that the bullet did not in fact expand?!

Im going to try the 168's in my 308 this year. I think that they may preform better in that gun?! My daughter has a cow hunt in October. Ill let her take use that rifle.

Im just going off of my experience. I have killed 2 deer with those bullets at less then 100 yds. Bullet placement was right behind the shoulder. Neither round hit a bone. Exit hole was the same size as the entrance. Telling me that the bullet did not in fact expand?!
Most won't under the same circumstances. You have to hit something of substance to cause expansion.

If you miss the ribs you are basically shooting through a damp sponge with a lung shot.

There are no magic bullets, none of them will give ideal performance under all conditions at all velocities.

I'm not as sold on Berger's as many hear are but I recognize they are just bullets.

I'm not a guy that shoots for lung shots with any bullet, I prefer to go for the high shoulder/spine or heart with any bullet.

Personally I wouldn't go with either a 7 or 30. When I get the money rounded up, I am going to build a 6.5-284 for deer and antelope out to 1000. With 140 gr bullets there is still plenty of energy to get the job done and these bullets have excellent ballistics. A 30 cal is just more that what is necessary for the job. Between a 30 or a 7 I would definitely go with a 7 in 7 rem mag. With 168s or 180s you will get great ballistics and energy at range to get the job done.

Both are good rounds. I prefer the 7 mag to the 300 Win Mag. For your intended use. But I think your 270 would do great also. Might need a little tinkering or a new barrel in 270 AI. People have been shooting medium sized ruminates at 500 yards with the 270 for a long time.
For those ranges and game tho, I choose the 6.5 Creedmoor. Its what I'm using on caribou.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.