western big game hunting cartridge

I do handleload and I have considered cartridges like the STW and the 7-300 but I have been searching the web recently and have been noticing that certain components are kinda hard to come by i.e. brass. I have an old 700 long action that was intended for a build but im still so undecided on caliber that I don't want to start until I am 100%. real quick what are the major differences between the 7-300 and the 7rm as far as barrel life and real life velocity differences.

I hesitated to suggest the 7mm/300 Win not knowing if you reload or are interested in a wildcat chambering. However, I've owned both 7mmRem and a 300Win mags and once I'm able I'll be having a 7mm/300Win build done.

Here's a thread with a lot of info about the chambering:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/anyone-own-7mm-300-win-mag-51404/

or this one from cummin_un_glued

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-new-7mmx300win-121128/

For me (hunting elk, antelope and possibly mule deer), the 7mm/300Win strikes the perfect balance btw a healthy/notable increase in performance over the 7mm Rem Mag with a minimal decrease in barrel life (depending on shooting/cleaning habits).

As Wildrose mentioned, the 7mmSTW (Shooting Times Westerner) is also a superb chambering and designed by Layne Simpson for your exact, intended purpose. About the only downside to the 7mmSTW would be sourcing brass compared to the ease of 300 Win components...

Honestly, the .300Win could really be the hammer you're looking for. It will deliver more serious punch than the 7mm Rem mag and bullet selections (for both 7 mm and .30cal) are excellent these days.

Also, if you get in a bind, 300Win mag and 7mmRem mag ammo are usually available off the shelf in many locales whereas with a wildcat, you better ensure you have a good supply loaded up and stored in more than one place - especially on a hunt far away from home!!!

also one more guestion, I do have a 700 action that I could build off of. I would need to instll a sako extractor and square it all up, but I also been considering that savage long rang hunter. it seems that dollar for dollar I wouldn't spend much more to go the custom route unless I went crazy with stocks and triggers and everything else. what are your opinions on that subject

If you already have a 700 action, then having a re-barrel and receiver trueing done isn't too much more (from ~$250-$500 for the "full Monty" accurizing) and can yield superb accuracy potential (presuming a highly skilled 'smith).

My 300Win was on a trued Rem700 and Douglas "air-gauged" barrel (I'll never own another Douglas - too much copper fouling....) which yielded 1/4 MOA to 400yds plus a little (the longest I shot it before selling). Barrels, loads and shooter variable all affect accuracy, but the down-range energy is there in wholesale supply.

Incidentally, I've never had a problem with the Rem700 extractor, but my experience is limited. The largest chambering I've personally owned was my 300 Win and had more than satisfactory results with the bare, stock Rem700 extractor.

With a full-custom receiver you have to plan on laying out ~$1,000 for an "economy custom" receiver or ~$1,200-$1,400 for a top-shelf custom. I, one day, would also like to have a "full-custom" built (in a big 338 or 375) and will choose one of the top-shelf custom receivers for the "ultimate" potential.

It sounds likes you'd need a stock anyway so the sky's the limit with what you can choose using a Rem 700 footprint. A factory Rem trigger can usually be honed/tuned to a nice, crisp release as well, but a Jewell, Timney or Shilen would probably be better (I've used a Shilen before it was very nice).

Sorry to be verbose - why use 30 words when I can use 3,000 instead... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I must have missed the part where OP mentioned hunting Idaho.

Like others have noted, I don't think you can go wrong with either one esp. when you hand load; my personal preference however is the .300 Win Mag.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.
OHH BOY...here we go gain! Who said someone mentioned Idaho? If you LOOK a where his responses are from then you will know!

If it were me I would have taken that shot with the 270. Depending on your bullet should be good to go on deer sized game at that distance.
I live in Idaho and hunt with everything from 8mm Mauser, to 7 mag. I have taken deer at close range with large magnum rifles and the bullets zip right through them with no expansion, and required a follow up shot.
Slower rounds I prefer for "stalking" like the 8mm, 308, and the like.
I would also feel comfortable out to around 500 yards with either of those rounds.
The 270 I would stretch it out around 700 or so.
But out of your choices I would choose the 7 mag, just because I have one and love the caliber.
Just my 2 cents.gun)

Your going to get everyones opinion eventhough they have never hunted Idaho let alone live hear. Quite frankly if you poke a good hole in the right area with either loaded with a quality bullet the animal will not be able to tell you which one was used.

Living here almost everyone I know uses a 7 Rem with a 160 to 175 bullet of their preference. It has killed everything we have to offer.

Interestingly enough the top selling calibers here in Idaho speak for themselves.

1: 7mm Rem Mag
2:30 06
3:12 gauge
4:308
5:300 Mag
6:223
7:30-30
These are the number one sellers in Idaho that are reloadable calibers. The only real change that has been made in the last several years are the 338 Win and the 270. The 270 is still in the top ten with the 338 in the top 15.

These stats speak for themselves.

I must have missed the part where OP mentioned hunting Idaho.

Like others have noted, I don't think you can go wrong with either one esp. when you hand load; my personal preference however is the .300 Win Mag.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

OHH BOY...here we go gain! Who said someone mentioned Idaho? If you LOOK a where his responses are from then you will know!

OK Idaho Elk Hunter - lets not de-rail a healthy conversation here. The OP did not mention hunting in Idaho, only jw308 does before you.

While the ****-storm is a-brewing, just do yourself a favor and buy a 7mm STW. You can't go wrong, as long as you buy a ton of brass to start out with (150-250 pieces), and you'll be set for a long long time.

You can find IMR 7828 SSC powder and Federal 215/215M primers just about everywhere. Also, 3rd Gen Shooting Supply has a healthy amount of Berger 180 Hybrids in stock. So that should suit you for a while.

also one more guestion, I do have a 700 action that I could build off of. I would need to instll a sako extractor and square it all up, but I also been considering that savage long rang hunter. it seems that dollar for dollar I wouldn't spend much more to go the custom route unless I went crazy with stocks and triggers and everything else. what are your opinions on that subject
My personal preference is the Classic or Pre 64 Win action but the Rem 700 is absolutely a great action to build on and of course it's the most popular action in the US so everyone that builds custom guns is extremely familiar with them. The aftermarket for M700 compatible stocks, triggers and everything else also makes it even more attractive.

I own six M700's and the only bad thing I can say about any of them is that they are not Model 70's LOL.gun)

For the OP. Spend some time perusing this subforum and you can have every question you can possibly imagine about the 7mm STW answered.

7mm STW - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

If factory ammo is your main concern I'd stick with the 300wm, If not I'd say jump on the STW.

You cannot make a mistake with either one.

When you settle on a caliber contact one of our sponsors here who builds customs or just call Chris at Benchmark. Chris will true up your action and install a great barrel for around 800.00. Take what you save vs a full custom and spend it on a top of the line McMillian, Manners, or Precision Stockworks Stock and some great glass.

You'll never regret it.

Just shoot the good ol 308... And all will be forgiven.. Lol
But seriously you really can't go wrong with either of your choices.
Personally I'm a big 7mm mag fan. Its my second favorite round only because I haven't shot an stw yet ;)...gun)

Either a 7STW or a 300WM will serve you well. Both rounds will do what you need them to do. You may get a little better barrel life out of a 300WM, but if you're really wanting a 7mm I wouldn't let that stop you! I'd take a serious look at the 7LRM too.

the rifle is way more important than the chmabering. a sendero . you pick the caliber.

If it were me I would have taken that shot with the 270. Depending on your bullet should be good to go on deer sized game at that distance.
I live in Idaho and hunt with everything from 8mm Mauser, to 7 mag. I have taken deer at close range with large magnum rifles and the bullets zip right through them with no expansion, and required a follow up shot.
Slower rounds I prefer for "stalking" like the 8mm, 308, and the like.
I would also feel comfortable out to around 500 yards with either of those rounds.
The 270 I would stretch it out around 700 or so.
But out of your choices I would choose the 7 mag, just because I have one and love the caliber.
Just my 2 cents.gun)
If the bullets zip right through without expansion you got the wrong bullet. If anything up close shots will destroy the bullet and no penetration. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.