338 lapua for big game hunting?

Mickp7

Hey all,
I am new to LRH but have been watching a lot of the threads here and appreciate the community established. I've been wrestling with a long range hunting rifle for some time and figured this is probably a great place to get some advice.
Here's the background- I've been hunting elk for the past 8 years and soon will be adding moose and caribou to the menu as well. There is nothing better than hunting in the mountains. I took my first elk 5 years ago with a Tikka T3 Lite in 300WM at 425 yards. At the time, that was a very intimidating distance, especially in a hunting scenario. I realized I needed to prepare better and purchased a Proof 7mmRM with a NF scope and found some ranges where I could practice 600- 700 yard shots. The gun is a laser with factory ammo (168 Bergers), shooting somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 moa (hard to tell shooter variance vs gun at those distances) at all ranges. I was astounded at how easy a great rifle could make longer shots.
I decided I wanted to get something that carried more energy further and purchased a 28 Nos. I do not reload (yet... will probably be bugging you guys on that before long) but have a resource that does it for me. The only bullets he could find at the time were 150 grain TTSX. We found a load that shot great and I tested it out to 800 yards before heading west this past fall. The 28 Nos did it's job on an elk at 560 yards.
Shame on me, but I didn't realize until I got back that the 150 grain TTSX in the 28 Nos actually has less energy at extended ranges (high triple digits) than the 168 berger in my 7mmRM.
I've been considering either finding a heavier 7mm bullet for the 28 Nos or selling it and going with something bigger. I've looked at options from 300 RUM up to 338 Lapua and everything in between. I like the idea of more than enough horsepower and want to go big, but realize there is a balance with gun size, weight, recoil, etc.
If I sold the 28 Nos, I'd have plenty of funds to go towards the replacement and I am not concerned with ammo costs (more so availability).
I'll be 50 this year, 5' 10", 200 lbs, and stay in shape... especially leading up to a hunt.
I would definitely put a good side port muzzle break on the gun and have suppressors for all calibers, if the scenario was right.
I have a place where I can practice out to 1200 yards or so.
I see strands of guys talking about 250 and 300 grain 338 elk bullets and wonder what shooting a hunting rifle like that feels like. I am not overly concerned with recoil, but realize the wrong setup could change that and that spotting shots can be important.
I am hoping you say that the 338's are mild enough with the right brake so I can justify selling the 28 nos and going big, but don't have the experience with the larger cartridges to know.
If anyone has read this far ;), thank you... I tried to address most questions I could predict. Any feedback, experience, or suggestions are welcome.

I would happily take a 16 lb one.

I wouldn't be interested in hunting with one under 13-14lbs personally. But I'm tired of recoil

Hey all,
I am new to LRH but have been watching a lot of the threads here and appreciate the community established. I've been wrestling with a long range hunting rifle for some time and figured this is probably a great place to get some advice.
Here's the background- I've been hunting elk for the past 8 years and soon will be adding moose and caribou to the menu as well. There is nothing better than hunting in the mountains. I took my first elk 5 years ago with a Tikka T3 Lite in 300WM at 425 yards. At the time, that was a very intimidating distance, especially in a hunting scenario. I realized I needed to prepare better and purchased a Proof 7mmRM with a NF scope and found some ranges where I could practice 600- 700 yard shots. The gun is a laser with factory ammo (168 Bergers), shooting somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 moa (hard to tell shooter variance vs gun at those distances) at all ranges. I was astounded at how easy a great rifle could make longer shots.
I decided I wanted to get something that carried more energy further and purchased a 28 Nos. I do not reload (yet... will probably be bugging you guys on that before long) but have a resource that does it for me. The only bullets he could find at the time were 150 grain TTSX. We found a load that shot great and I tested it out to 800 yards before heading west this past fall. The 28 Nos did it's job on an elk at 560 yards.
Shame on me, but I didn't realize until I got back that the 150 grain TTSX in the 28 Nos actually has less energy at extended ranges (high triple digits) than the 168 berger in my 7mmRM.
I've been considering either finding a heavier 7mm bullet for the 28 Nos or selling it and going with something bigger. I've looked at options from 300 RUM up to 338 Lapua and everything in between. I like the idea of more than enough horsepower and want to go big, but realize there is a balance with gun size, weight, recoil, etc.
If I sold the 28 Nos, I'd have plenty of funds to go towards the replacement and I am not concerned with ammo costs (more so availability).
I'll be 50 this year, 5' 10", 200 lbs, and stay in shape... especially leading up to a hunt.
I would definitely put a good side port muzzle break on the gun and have suppressors for all calibers, if the scenario was right.
I see strands of guys talking about 250 and 300 grain 338 elk bullets and wonder what shooting a hunting rifle like that feels like. I am not overly concerned with recoil, but realize the wrong setup could change that and that spotting shots can be important.
I am hoping you say that the 338's are mild enough with the right brake so I can justify selling the 28 nos and going big, but don't have the experience with the larger cartridges to know.
If anyone has read this far ;), thank you... I tried to address most questions I could predict. Any feedback, experience, or suggestions are welcome.

It depends upon how much you want to shoot it when "not" hunting. Once you develop a good load, and only shoot occasionally, to be comfortable with that rifle. Using a decent brake, you could easily keep the weight under 11 pounds (scoped, loaded, slung).

I "crunched" some recoil figures using an 11 pound rifle pushing 300's @ 2750 and get 47 ft/lbs recoil…..without a brake. My wife's rifle makes 39+, my rifle 59+ …..we "do not" use brakes. With the addition of a brake……that's easily doable!

You obviously have other rifles…..use them for practice/plinking! Save money and components by using the .338 Lapua minimally…..only remaining competent/comfortable with it.

I would not hesitate to "hunt" that cartridge in an 11 pound rifle without a brake! I just wouldn't shoot hundreds of rounds/year in practice, as stated……that's what other cartridge/rifles are for! JMO memtb

Hey all,
I was pondering similar questions recently and I elected to go with the 338 Norma but with and improved case instead of SAAMI. You have much more flexibility in bullet options due to magazine length issues IF you ever decide to reload and you aren't giving up much performance to the 338 Lapua. I would not want to lug around a 16# rifle in the mountains. I'm complaining about my 338 Norma getting close to 12#.

Regarding recoil, if you use a high quality effective brake like an SRS Ti Pro 3, and you aren't recoil shy you should have no problem shooting the rifle on the bench or in the field. I have one on my 300 Norma Improved and I was shocked at how much recoil mitigation it provides. Bigger caliber guns are more difficult to shoot, so I would definitely practice with the rifle that you intend to hunt with so you are proficient and confident when it comes to go time.

Thanks for the responses. I am definitely open minded to other options besides the 338 lapua and appreciate suggestions. I definitely dont want to lug around a gun that is too heavy... 10- 12# +/- would be ideal. I also agree that this would not be a gun that would be shot a lot... just enough to be confident and proficient.

The 338LM is a round that is so specialized when others equal or are barely under it and much more practical for hunting. If you think a 12# rifle would be in the ideal range the sky is the limit for a much more useable, findable, shootable, kill just as well 338. Use search and you will find many dozens of threads covering all the 338's available and peoples posts on their thoughts.

Personally, I'd encourage you to worry more about practicing (say 500-1K rounds a year), and to use a round that you're comfy in doing so. As well, I'd not get caught up in the old "energy" gig. Does one need a certain amount of gas on elk sure, but more importantly to me you need enough speed left to open the bullet you're using at the range your taking the game at.

The Big 7's are a wonderful world to be playing in. They're shootable and very capable and do what they do very well.

I spendt close to 2 decades using the 340 Wby just a 338 LM of another color (on a 700 and 70) on game with a lot of shooting at rock chucks during the summers at ranges out to 700 yards (as far as I'm interested in taking elk, anything past that if I can't close the distance then the elk win). Both of my 340's were unbraked the one went 8.25 lbs scoped and ready to roll the other 8.5 lbs. I shot them a lot, and off the deck they were about all I wanted.

Bottom line, sounds like you're just getting into shooting at long ranges, pick one and make a life with it. And order an extra barrel soon as you sort out which you wish to roll with.

338 Norma is where I'd go also. Mine weighs in at just over 11.5# and I can shoot it all day. I'm running a 250gr badlands sbd-2 at right around 2960fps.

Thanks for the responses. I am definitely open minded to other options besides the 338 lapua and appreciate suggestions. I definitely dont want to lug around a gun that is too heavy... 10- 12# +/- would be ideal. I also agree that this would not be a gun that would be shot a lot... just enough to be confident and proficient.

Smart man! 👍

And while there are a lot of viable .338 options….. the "survivalist" in me, says get a commercially produced cartridge, so as not to be unable to find brass needed for a custom or wildcat cartridge! Again…..JMO. memtb

Last edited:
I mean all the power to ya to buy more guns 😁 but I'm thinking if you're just starting to practice to 1200 and aren't going to be taking game that far there's nothing wrong with the 3 cartridges you already have, 7mm rem mag, 300 win, 28 Nosler…all capable.

Just get into handloading already 😉 Save the money of another rifle and a few boxes of factory ammo and take the plunge into the wonderful insane OCD world of handloading!
(We'll be chanting "one of us, one of us, one of us!" In the background while dancing around a fire 🤪)

Get handloading 180 class high bc bullets in that 28 and you'll be pressed to find a .338 that can hang with it trajectory and wind wise without requiring a ridiculous heavy rig.

Depending on twist rate you got 180 eld m, 195 bergers, a friend of mine loads 185 (I think) scenars in his 28 and they kill just fine….

You do whatever you want with your money but for what it's worth if its Not in the budget to do both new guns and start a new hobby…you'll never regret having gotten into handloading. Trust me.

I mean all the power to ya to buy more guns 😁 but I'm thinking if you're just starting to practice to 1200 and aren't going to be taking game that far there's nothing wrong with the 3 cartridges you already have, 7mm rem mag, 300 win, 28 Nosler…all capable.

Just get into handloading already 😉 Save the money of another rifle and a few boxes of factory ammo and take the plunge into the wonderful insane OCD world of handloading!
(We'll be chanting "one of us, one of us, one of us!" In the background while dancing around a fire 🤪)

Get handloading done 180 class high bc bullets in that 28 and you'll be pressed to find a .338 that can hang with it trajectory and wind wise without requiring a ridiculous heavy rig.

Depending on twist rate you got 180 eld m, 195 bergers, a friend of mine loads 185 (I think) scenars in his 28 and they kill just fine….

You do whatever you want with your money but for what it's worth if its Not in the budget to do both new guns and start a new hobby…you'll never regret having gotten into handloading. Trust me.

darn well said

Recent Posts