2013 Big Game Hunts

Firetec

What big game tags have you secured this year? What type of weapon do you hope to use?
Here at DPG we are hoping for several tags.
CO Elk- 338LMAI, 7STW
WY Deer-6.5x47 Lapua

This was a rough year for me, only drew an elk tag for Colorado with my 2nd choice. They dropped the number of antelope tags by a ton in the areas I hunt, so I missed my tag there. Hopefully all of these preference points will go to good use in the next year or two!

Just an FYI for anyone who is hunting Colorado, all tags are now posted in the 'Draw Results/Preference Points' section. Good luck to all!

Edit: I will be using my 300 RUM for the elk hunt.

New Mexico Mule Deer hunt on private land (14,000 acres) in the Gila Mountains. I think I'm going to take my Tikka T3 lite 270wsm and 150gr bergers. So far I've been able to hit steel out to 800 yards.

New Mexico for both Elk and Mule Deer with my buddy. I'm very excited and going to pickup my 300RUM from the smith today!

NM Mule Deer (apparently you have to be from out of state to draw a NM Elk tag). Probably use my 6mm Remington.

Well I struck out for special deer and elk permits in Montana so it's back to scouting a few new areas and keeping my eye on proven ones. Its nice to find fur targets for those 300 grain bergers:D right now my wall would have a lot of rocks hanging on it this spring as time hasn't allowed for chasing many bears.

I just got back from South Africa two weeks ago. Any big game hunt here this year will just be a bonus. ND deer tags are gonna be hard to get this year. 577.jpg

478.jpg

272.jpg

526.jpg

630.jpg

354.jpg

Jeeze kinda hard to top those pics:D

All I got is this little ole muley hope to find one bigger this year and an elk as well rifle is a Lorenzo Young at deadly precision work of art on a savage 110 fcp donor shoots even better than it looks and didn't do this little guy any favors.

I have a lot of other rifles, but this one is what I hunt with

The wife and I and both of my boys pulled cow tags for Colorado this year! Should be a full freezer for sure. Didn't draw my LE Utah elk tag again....thats 11 years now. Oh well, those cows sure will make for some fine eating.

My buddy and I drew Arizona Unit 22 North Bull Elk tags for this December:D. It's hard getting tags in AZ. I drew a bull tag 15 years ago and never got to make the hunt due to a death in the family. So this is pretty much my first elk hunt (where I have the tag). My friend is lucky and has had an elk tag the last 3 years running. Go figure. Anyways, I'm going to use a Savage 7mm Rem Mag Trophy Hunter 111 XP. I've chosen a Vortex Viper PST Scope, with BlackHawk Rings, and a BlackHawk Picatinny Rail. I've got a 168 grain Berger load worked up for the rifle that's giving me .7 MOA all the way out to 500 yards thus far, with a MV or 3024 fps. I hope to push the rifle out to 1000 yards soon, but only plan on making a kill shot out to my comfort zone (what ever that might be come the hunt). So far I am very confident that any elk within 500 yards would be in the freezer. I have a lot yet to learn before I can feel the same way about an 800 or 900 yard shot.

I will be chasing muleys in the badlands with stick and string and hopefully with my new 7mm WSM build that finished up in March.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.