Oklahoma exotic big game hunt

Forgive me for asking a silly question, but are there different color phases of Oryx?

Kirby: Thanks for thw write-up on the trip. It's always enjoyable to read about another successful trip.

As far as I know there are no color phase differences with Simatar-horned Oryx. There are however many different species of Oryx and most have different body markings. Some ranging from slightly different to DRAMTICALLY different.

As far as I know the Simatar Horned oryx are all similiar to the one we took.

Kirby:

What's the difference between the Oryx that you took vs. the ones that are running around on White Sands Missle Base (besides the color)?

Kirby:

What's the difference between the Oryx that you took vs. the ones that are running around on White Sands Missle Base (besides the color)?

Funny you should ask this. I was just thinking about these animals the other day so I decided to run a search engine on them. I couldn't tell the difference between the Gemsbok and the Oryx and the search wasn't very helpful. They both look the same to me! Anyone know?

I know the Gemsbok has black and white markings mainly on their face and mostly black and white on their body with some shades of grey if I recall correctly. The Gemsbok also has straighter horns.

What we took was a Simatar-Horned Oryx which are all white with burnt red neck and face markings. THeir horns also have more curvature to them.

Now I am sure there are many subspecies of Oryx. Its like deer, how many species are there in the deer family? I am sure its the same for the oryx.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.