Oklahoma Bear Hunt

Commissioner

Oklahoma just held its 6th bear hunt in the history of the state, and I was fortunate enough to participate.
I had major reconstructive back surgery the last Thursday in June which included adding an artificial disk, 2 rods, and 4 screws to hold it all together. Without being fully recovered from surgery I was only able to hunt half days, because I just couldn't hunt or sit that long. Luckily, Oklahoma allows the use of crossbows for archery season. I have an Excalibur Matrix 380 and I was using NAP 180 grain 2 blade mechanical broadhead called "F.O.C.". It has a 3" cutting diameter. Excalibur makes a cocking device that allowed me to be able to cock the bow without hurting my back and this device also aids in accuracy by cocking it the same way each and every time. Btw, that 3" whole made for a great blood trail and was a complete passthrough.

I didn't see anything but a lizard the first 2 afternoons, but was fortunate to see a small bear the size of a Labrador Retreiver on the 3rd and final afternoon. There was no way I was going to shoot a bear that small and was fortunate enough to have a much bigger bear come in and run off that smaller bear. As the big bear was focused on the smaller bear I was able to get my crossbow in position and was able to take the shot at 12 yards. That was a major league adrenaline rush.

Oklahoma has an estimated 2,000 bears and the hunting is limited to 4 counties in SE OK. My bear field dressed at 250 which would have put him over 300 pounds or more for a live weight.
I just want to encourage hunters with a disability not to give up. If you can't shoot a regular bow anymore, get a crossbow and get out there. You can still find some success even if you can't hunt as hard as you used to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 115
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Can't hardly wait to get my bear skin rug back. My 4 year old grandson is fired up about it as well. He's already asking me to take him when he gets bigger, and yes, I was smiling from ear to ear when he asked me that!

Having set off a few metal detectors myself, I appreciate what it took to get back in the game this soon.

A well earned trophy, when that grand kid takes his or hers it will be that much sweeter.

Congratulations!

Congrats on a great hunt and really nice bear!

I feel for ya on trying to get back to hunting after the overhaul.

Best wishes on a continued recovery and steady improvement. There will be lots of bad days but one day you'll wake up and wonder how you ever got back to where you are from where you were.

Thanks. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I tweaked my back the Friday before rifle season and it was so bad that I couldn't go. This was the first time I've missed opening weekend in 25 years, but I hope that it's all a distant memory next year and that I'm back to hunting my ranch just 16 miles from the house.

That's awesome, a bear is hopefully on my hit list in the next few years. I feel your pain with the surgery, literally. 10 years back I was recovering from a broken neck and was down for an entire year. 3 years back I had another surgery and had new hardware installed, 7 months later I was packing an elk out by myself. Earlier this year I tore my knee up at an Army course and had to have some reconstructive surgery and I decided to pass on an elk hunt last month. It sucks when life gets in the way of living, but give it time and you'll bounce back. Good luck, take it easy and don't push it. Nice bear by the way.

Thanks. I'm going to Mexico in January for a mule deer hunt in the Sonoran Desert. It's always been something I've wanted to do. Talked to Outfitter this week and they have got 5 times their normal rainfall, so antler development should be great. We will hunt from high rack rigs, so hunt shouldn't be to physical, but I will wear my back brace just to be safe. With a new artificial disk, rods, and 4 screws holding my spine together.....I can't be too careful.

I hope to post pictures of me with my dream mule deer buck in late January!

Thanks to all of you for the words of encouragement!!!! I really do appreciate it!

I'm from SW Oklahoma,but traveled over to Le Flore County in SE OK to hunt the bear. I stayed in a town named Clayton, but I'm from Altus where we have a Air Force Base. Clayton is south and a little east of McAlester.

Thanks. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I tweaked my back the Friday before rifle season and it was so bad that I couldn't go. This was the first time I've missed opening weekend in 25 years, but I hope that it's all a distant memory next year and that I'm back to hunting my ranch just 16 miles from the house.
Spine issues take time. Do your PT and plan on 2 years to "get it back".

Overdoing it will just set you back but if you're patient and work your way through slowly the rewards are huge.

I've had 3 fractured vertebrae and four herniated discs so I've been there. They still give me trouble from time to time but not so much that with a little pharmaceutical aid I couldn't make a couple of trips packing 100lbs plus of Mario's elk out this year.

That should give you some encouragement! gun)

I'm from SW Oklahoma,but traveled over to Le Flore County in SE OK to hunt the bear. I stayed in a town named Clayton, but I'm from Altus where we have a Air Force Base. Clayton is south and a little east of McAlester.
You're almost exactly 90 miles straight north of me on 183. Drop me a line if you ever head my way.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.