western big game hunting cartridge

bowkill02

hello fellas. Im a flatlander from eastern Pa and I just completed my first western big game hunt last fall. I went out for mule deer and antelope, and I took along a 257rob and an old 270win. We hunted public land later in the season so game was a little spooky but I didn't feel under gunned until the last day when I tried stalking a real nice mule deer buck. Because of the terrain I couldn't get any closer than 570yards, which I didn't feel comfortable with using my rifle. So my buddy handed my his 300RUM which ended our hunt with all tags filled. Now I really don't feel a ULTRA mag is necessary but I believe I will be returning west again real soon for maybe some elk or more mule deer, and I would really like a dedicated rifle capable of handling the terrain and size of critters out there. I'm torn between an 7mm rem mag and the 300win. am I thinking in the right ball park? I would really like to hear your imput and suggestions.

Someone's gonna tell ya the "search" button is your friend.... However, either of those will serve you well.

For me, I like the 7mm's, but I know the .30 cal maggies can really get the job done too. Really, it comes down to your preference.... You have a couple nice ones in your stable, but range is indeed the limiting factor.

Do you reload? That really gives you the ability to squeeze a WHOLE lot more from the 7mm Rem mag than the anemic OTC stuff.

If its nothing bigger than deer, you don't even need a magnum for 600 yards...280, 280 Ackley...heck, even a 30-06 would do just fine.

If elk are on the menu...then yes, you need a magnum for that range...or the 280 Ackley.

Or...rebarrel your 270 with a little faster twist, 24" barrel...load up some good 150-160 grain bullets, and be good to go.

hello fellas. Im a flatlander from eastern Pa and I just completed my first western big game hunt last fall. I went out for mule deer and antelope, and I took along a 257rob and an old 270win. We hunted public land later in the season so game was a little spooky but I didn't feel under gunned until the last day when I tried stalking a real nice mule deer buck. Because of the terrain I couldn't get any closer than 570yards, which I didn't feel comfortable with using my rifle. So my buddy handed my his 300RUM which ended our hunt with all tags filled. Now I really don't feel a ULTRA mag is necessary but I believe I will be returning west again real soon for maybe some elk or more mule deer, and I would really like a dedicated rifle capable of handling the terrain and size of critters out there. I'm torn between an 7mm rem mag and the 300win. am I thinking in the right ball park? I would really like to hear your imput and suggestions.
You're on the right track although I'd say give the 7mm STW a hard look as well. We have a dedicated 7mm STW forum here at LRH and you'll find more people right here who love the caliber than probably anywhere else on the internet.

As for the 300wm, it will most certainly get the job done with authority on anything in the CONUS.

That being said I own 3 300 Rum's, 3 300wm's, and 3 7mm STW's. My pride and joy though out of all of them is my old Winchester Sharpshooter in 7mm STW. With it I figure anything out to 800yds is pretty much a chip shot.

If it were me I would have taken that shot with the 270. Depending on your bullet should be good to go on deer sized game at that distance.
I live in Idaho and hunt with everything from 8mm Mauser, to 7 mag. I have taken deer at close range with large magnum rifles and the bullets zip right through them with no expansion, and required a follow up shot.
Slower rounds I prefer for "stalking" like the 8mm, 308, and the like.
I would also feel comfortable out to around 500 yards with either of those rounds.
The 270 I would stretch it out around 700 or so.
But out of your choices I would choose the 7 mag, just because I have one and love the caliber.
Just my 2 cents.gun)

Personal preference is the 300. Winny loaded up with some 210-215 Bergers. Things a hammer too 1000 without concern. The 7mm mag with the 180 Bergers is an impressive cartridge on its own. But you could always split the difference and go something like a 7-300. Win mag. Pushing 180 around 3100-3200fps makes a sure as sh** deadly combo!!

If you your looking for a cheaper cartridge too reload, less recoil then something like a 284. Win on a long action can still push those big 180's at 2800+ with a lot less powder making a beautiful combo in a lighter weight long range rig!

I would go with the 300 WM just because there are so many options for bullet weight. Also, components for reloading tend to be much easier to find, and in a pinch factory ammo can be purchased at just about any Wally World.

Either one will do you marvelously. The upside to both cartridges is availability of ammo almost anywhere. If you handload the 7mag can really be brought to life but if I was relying on factory ammo I might lean towards the 300.

I do handleload and I have considered cartridges like the STW and the 7-300 but I have been searching the web recently and have been noticing that certain components are kinda hard to come by i.e. brass. I have an old 700 long action that was intended for a build but im still so undecided on caliber that I don't want to start until I am 100%. real quick what are the major differences between the 7-300 and the 7rm as far as barrel life and real life velocity differences.

also one more guestion, I do have a 700 action that I could build off of. I would need to instll a sako extractor and square it all up, but I also been considering that savage long rang hunter. it seems that dollar for dollar I wouldn't spend much more to go the custom route unless I went crazy with stocks and triggers and everything else. what are your opinions on that subject

Your going to get everyones opinion eventhough they have never hunted Idaho let alone live hear. Quite frankly if you poke a good hole in the right area with either loaded with a quality bullet the animal will not be able to tell you which one was used.

Living here almost everyone I know uses a 7 Rem with a 160 to 175 bullet of their preference. It has killed everything we have to offer.

Interestingly enough the top selling calibers here in Idaho speak for themselves.

1: 7mm Rem Mag
2:30 06
3:12 gauge
4:308
5:300 Mag
6:223
7:30-30
These are the number one sellers in Idaho that are reloadable calibers. The only real change that has been made in the last several years are the 338 Win and the 270. The 270 is still in the top ten with the 338 in the top 15.

These stats speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Well....There is 1 cartridge that has the name Western in it. And it sounds to be exactly what you're looking for... The 7mm STW (Shooting Times Westerner). :D

One of the baddest plainsgame and big game cartridges there is, IMO.

You're on the right track although I'd say give the 7mm STW a hard look as well. We have a dedicated 7mm STW forum here at LRH and you'll find more people right here who love the caliber than probably anywhere else on the internet.

As for the 300wm, it will most certainly get the job done with authority on anything in the CONUS.

That being said I own 3 300 Rum's, 3 300wm's, and 3 7mm STW's. My pride and joy though out of all of them is my old Winchester Sharpshooter in 7mm STW. With it I figure anything out to 800yds is pretty much a chip shot.

Bingo!!! STW is where it's at.

Your going to get everyones opinion eventhough they have never hunted Idaho let alone live hear.

I must have missed the part where OP mentioned hunting Idaho.

I'm torn between an 7mm rem mag and the 300win. am I thinking in the right ball park? I would really like to hear your imput and suggestions.

Like others have noted, I don't think you can go wrong with either one esp. when you hand load; my personal preference however is the .300 Win Mag.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

I do handleload and I have considered cartridges like the STW and the 7-300 but I have been searching the web recently and have been noticing that certain components are kinda hard to come by i.e. brass. I have an old 700 long action that was intended for a build but im still so undecided on caliber that I don't want to start until I am 100%. real quick what are the major differences between the 7-300 and the 7rm as far as barrel life and real life velocity differences.
You must not have been looking too hard for brass. :D

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 7mm STW Box of 25

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.