Choose one Western big game caliber

Which caliber would you choose?

• Total voters

SCdeerhunter

I know these threads are pretty common and get kinda old but I still want some opinions. Starting to dream up my next custom and need some help deciding on caliber. The direction I'll be going is more of an all around hunting rifle. Want to keep bare rifle weight around 8-9 lbs. Will be used primarily for elk, deer, bear and antelope since Im moving to Colorado next year. Hopefully it'll see a moose hunt as well but that's more of a wish than anything. Right now I'm thinking 7mm rem mag, 7mmstw, 28 Nosler, and 300 win mag. I like the availability of ammo for the 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag but for some reason the big, fast 7s are really appealing to me. I know factory ammo is kinda limited for the stw and Nosler but it's still some out there. I also plan to be reloading by that point in time as this rifle is at least a year out. So if it were you guys which caliber would you choose and why.

I voted 7mm Rem Mag. 7stw is too long imo. 28 Nosler is too boutique and brass is pricey. 300 Win mag would be a very good choice. I just like the old 7mm Rem Mag and the new 180gr+ bullets available now really let it shine.

It's hard to go wrong with the 7mm RemMag or 7mm STW. I chose STW (surprised I'm the only vote so far). I have been shooting the 7mm STW since 2002, and have 2 of them (one factory Sendero SF, one custom 700). The .28 Nosler is also one that has grown on me, but I still haven't built one yet. I'm thinking about rebarrling one of my STW's into a .28 Nosler just for cartridge diversity, and to see what all the fuss is about. The only issue I have with the STW, is the length. You have to run a Wyatt's 4.000" extended mag box to be able to use the STW as a repeater. Or you can just single-load it and use it as a single-shot bolt action (which is what I do).

I already use Nosler and Lapua brass for almost every rifle I own, so buying Nosler brand .28 Nosler brass is not a big deal.

Of the list the 300WM. Factory ammo selection and availability.

If you do draw that moose tag, the 300WM can do it. I'd be less comfortable with a 7mm on big stuff. Of course the 7mm can do it but bigger holes for bigger animals.

I've been shooting a 300WM recently. It's capable, easy to work with and can be loaded for any purpose.

It would depend on the hunting. If im going to be shooting relatively close (inside 700 yards) I would pick a short action caliber. Deer and elk out to 800-1000, 7mm mag. Elk out to and over 1000, 338 edge, Lapua, Lapua AI or something similar. Not that it is necessary, but I like the way a 300 grain Berger EH bucks the wind at 2850 fps+

It would depend on the hunting. If im going to be shooting relatively close (inside 700 yards) I would pick a short action caliber. Deer and elk out to 800-1000, 7mm mag. Elk out to and over 1000, 338 edge, Lapua, Lapua AI or something similar. Not that it is necessary, but I like the way a 300 grain Berger EH bucks the wind at 2850 fps+

Your original post makes it sound like you don't reload. So, based on that, I would choose the 300 WM
I would also recommend learning to reload, as it is very simple.
I shoot a 7-300WM but will rebarrel to the 300 WM in the future

Your original post makes it sound like you don't reload. So, based on that, I would choose the 300 WM
I would also recommend learning to reload, as it is very simple.
I shoot a 7-300WM but will rebarrel to the 300 WM in the future

This caught my eye. I was really thinking about doing a 7mm-300 win. Why are you moving back to a straight 300 win?

It's hard to go wrong with the 7mm RemMag or 7mm STW. I chose STW (surprised I'm the only vote so far). I have been shooting the 7mm STW since 2002, and have 2 of them (one factory Sendero SF, one custom 700). The .28 Nosler is also one that has grown on me, but I still haven't built one yet. I'm thinking about rebarrling one of my STW's into a .28 Nosler just for cartridge diversity, and to see what all the fuss is about. The only issue I have with the STW, is the length. You have to run a Wyatt's 4.000" extended mag box to be able to use the STW as a repeater. Or you can just single-load it and use it as a single-shot bolt action (which is what I do).

I already use Nosler and Lapua brass for almost every rifle I own, so buying Nosler brand .28 Nosler brass is not a big deal.

Yeah I've always been intrigued by the stw. My cousin had a sendero chambered for one when I was younger. My longest shot on an animal was actually with that rifle. Then he ruined the barrel with some handloads someone gave him that were really hot. It's a beast of a round though. What kind of barrel life have you gotten with yours?

No particular reason
Just to make a change and shoot the 215
Bergers
The 7-300 WM with the 180 Berger does a great job as well

I voted 7mm Rem Mag. 7stw is too long imo. 28 Nosler is too boutique and brass is pricey. 300 Win mag would be a very good choice. I just like the old 7mm Rem Mag and the new 180gr+ bullets available now really let it shine.

Of the list the 300WM. Factory ammo selection and availability.

If you do draw that moose tag, the 300WM can do it. I'd be less comfortable with a 7mm on big stuff. Of course the 7mm can do it but bigger holes for bigger animals.

I've been shooting a 300WM recently. It's capable, easy to work with and can be loaded for any purpose.
That's one reason I'm leaning towards the 300 win mag. Kinda need to fill that void in the gun safe and get a 30 caliber magnum. One caliber that will cover all the animals in North America.
Max range I'd use it for would be around 600. Might shoot steel further than that but 600 would be my limit on animals. And one day I'll have a 338 of some variety.