338 Lapua vs. Idaho big game

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
This story is lengthy but worth the read. My friend Brandon came to me in the spring with his Sako TRG that was lucky to hold 1.5-2.0 moa consistently. We talked about the area we both hunt and the various advantages of long range hunting. Brandon had always compensated for longer distances by simple hold over. Brandon chose the rebarrel his TRG in 338 Lapua and top it with a Leupold 4.5-14x with mil-dot and target knobs. He also chose to develop a load with H1000 and the Nosler 225 Accubond.
Brandon took my Long Range Hunting class in the early summer and did quite well. I watched him constantly shoot 1.25 – 1.75" groups @ 300 yards with his rebuilt TRG, even more impressive was his ability to shoot off of Stony Point shooting stix. I watch him shoot just less than 5 inches at 600 yards with them. Brandon spent some time over the summer practicing out to ranges in excess of 1200 yards and fine tuning his drop figures.
Mid-September, Brandon calls to tell me about the 6 ½ foot black bear he shot. The shot was 535 yards from the "stix" across a bowl. 1 shot into the off shoulder. The bear rolled over and stuck all 4 feet in the air and didn't move a foot. This was a great start to a new season with a new rifle.
Hunted with Brandon for a couple of days during the opening days of elk season but we just could not put it together.
Brandon calls 4 days after I leave camp from the top of the mountain on his cell phone to tell me about the bull elk he "whacked". Shot was .98 downhill on the cosine indicator, 752 yards across a canyon into an alder patch, shooting from the "stix". 1 shot high shoulder and the bull was rolling down the hill before Brandon fully recovered from the recoil.
Thursday I play hooky from work and Brandon and I go hunting for elk. Our day starts off just great. We are greeted by snowing and foggy conditions that do not allow us to do the long range across the canyon hunt we had planned. Sometime around 10:30 or 11:00 the fog starts to lift. By 1:00 the sun actually comes out and starts to clear up. We start glassing across canyon alder thickets trying to locate elk bedded down. We spot several mule deer and I shoot some photos of them through my range finder @ 1019 yards. We see several does and I break out the Leupold 14-40x to try to locate a bedded buck near them. We had been at this picking apart of the brush pockets when Brandon says, "hey look over there down that ridge face, is that white spot a deer?" I turn the spotting scope over to it and zoom in. It is a large deer butt. The deer is facing almost directly away from us and by position of the head appears to be sleeping. I can not see horns and tell Brandon to have a look. Brandon had looked for about 15 seconds when a 4 wheeler on a road a mile or so above it drove by. When the 4 wheeler drove by the buck lifted his head and revealed his horns. I jumped behind the spotting scope to get a look. When I looked the buck turned his head and I could quite clearly see a rack with good width and serious mass and we are about 2 miles or so away. We plot out a stalk for a finger ridge that will put us in a position across 2 draws in a position that I figure to be around 700-800 yards from the bedded deer. We hop in the truck and race over toward the ridge that we had targeted. As we approach the ridge we run into a small problem we won't be able to see the buck from the spot we selected. We have only one option. To move down the near ridge and hope to find a hole in the brush clear enough to shoot out of. We move down the ridge about 800-900 yards just on the off side and pop up to the top every so far looking for a hole to shoot out of. We finally find a hole and locate the buck. We spend about 15 minutes searching for a spot where we can shoot through the brush and still have a clear shot at the buck ( they don't get big by being visible ). We finally pick a spot where Brandon can shoot from a sitting position using the Stix and almost see through the brush. I crawl ahead of him and snip a small handful of branches out of the way very quietly and scoot back to him. I range the buck at 324 yards, it is not a super long distance but the shot is quite difficult. Brandon has to needle holes in the brush to thread a bullet through and hit the buck. Now to add to the tough factor is the fact that the buck is facing at a slight quartering away position laying down. This presentation allows for a circle of "good" shot placement that is only about 3"in diameter right between the shoulder blades and centered over the spine. If we try to alert the deer with noise to stand he may run, stand up into a position where we don't have a shot or have to move to get a shot while he is alerted to our presence. Brandon chooses to take the shot and has not the slightest bit of doubt about taking the shot. Brandon dials up 3.50 moa for elevation, we detect no wind, we are downhill about .99 on the cosine indicator (not enough to worry about at this distance) Brandon launches the 225 Accubond down range at 3150 fps dropping its' prescribed 11.4 inches and impacts directly at the point of aim on the spine. The bullet enters the back smashing some 4-5 inches of spine and entering the chest cavity and not exiting. The buck does nothing more than drop his head to the dirt and Brandon's season has come to a very successful end. I was glad to be there to record the event on film it was a great hunt. Like I said before the distance was tame for this site, but given the conditions it was precision marksmanship in anybody's book. By the way this baby grossed 170 4/8

BRANDONSDEER.JPG

Nice deer! I love how the mass is carried way out on the tines!

Congrats on a successful and eventful hunt!

Stephen

Congratulations Brandon on a fine buck and a fine shot.

Congrats to Shawn on a guiding job well done.

One q for you: Was the 225 accubond near max pressure at 3150 from the 338 lapua or did it just shoot better backed off a tad? Only reason I ask is because I have gotten 3260 once out of a 338 ultra with the same bullet and a shorter barrel. Just curious.

Awesome story thanks for the details but where are the elk and bear pictures. Also do you like the stoney sticks better than the harris bypods. Just like to know your opinion Shawn or anyone else. Thanks Preacher

Grouper,
The rifle just seemed to like that speed the best with the H1000. Brandon didn't want to spend alot of time with load developement and different powders, he wanted a good load and lots of time behind the rifle.

IP,
I like the "stix", but much prefer to be close to the ground with a bipod. I can shoot much better on the dirt with a pod. I have the stix handy for shots just like the one Brandon had to take,it was just the only way to get it done. The elk and bear pics do not exist Brandon doesn't pack a camera and was by himself. He is however hot on shooting more video after seeing the footage of his mule deer hunt.

I honestly enjoy guiding, spotting and filming almost as much as being the shooter. This is one of my top 3 favorite hunts I have been envolved in. Of the top 3 I was only the shooter once. I look forward to late whitetail long range guiding season more than the rest of seasons put together.

Very nice deer. And as you say, shooting through the openings is not easy. A very small buck got to live for another day today because he stopped short of the opening and waited until I couldn't hold my bow at full draw any more.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.