300 RUM vs 300 lapua vs 338 lapua

squeaker

Im looking at starting a custom build and i already have a bunch of 338 lapua brass.
im wondering how the 300 and 338 lapua compare to the 300 rum? My uncle has lots of problems with the bottom web of his brass pushing 257 stw and 300 rum hard. Im wondering the the 338 lapua brass will be better? so i need to decide on weather to 300 lapua or 338 lapua. id prefer a lil more shoulder angle than the std 338 lapua also. if i go wildcat i would like something easy to form.

I cannot speak on the .338 Lapua, but I have had 3 RUM's and one .300 Lapua. Too compare the 2 it is like this, the rum is a black bear, and the .300 laua is a grizzly.

There is no question that the Lapua brass is tougher and will handle more pressure. "BUT" when you run high pressure other things suffer that are more expensive.

The fact that the Lapua brass is stronger can be a detriment if you run it to its limit. Most people use the Norma brass to find the pressure limits of there load and then switch to Lapua brass for longevity.

The 300 rum or the 300/338 (Edge) has more powder capacity than the 338 Lapua so if safe pressures are maintained they will out perform the Lapua without damage to the action or other parts. The Lapua also has higher bolt loading with the same pressure because of the larger case head size.

If i were to recommend a Lapua cartridge it would be a 338 Lapua improved (To Increase the powder capacity) but still recommend running pressures that would not damage the rifle and build it on a Mark 5 action or something as strong and as large to manage the bolt loading better.

Over loading the 338 Lapua is quite common because the case is so strong, but not recommended
because of other problems.

I like both cartridges as long as they are ran at SAMME pressures but like any cartridge if SAMME pressures are exceeded it can cause bolt lug setback and eventually render a good action unusable.

The fact that you already have a bunch of the 338 Lapua brass is a reason to look at the Lapua, but
build on the appropriate action and keep the pressures within the normal limits and you will enjoy the whole experience. The 338 Lapua would be an alternative if you want a total performance package.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

Just like anything else in life, you can get a little more power alright BUT at what expense!!! All of those you listed are true heavy hitters but why would you need all that extra power?? A 300 WM and .338 WM will kill just as good with very little wear and tear on equipment and your shoulder...sure all three will shoot flatter and faster but do you really need it, shorter case life, expense of buying the caseings heck these days even fing some cases.... Either way good luck and enjoy all that power!!

Just like anything else in life, you can get a little more power alright BUT at what expense!!! All of those you listed are true heavy hitters but why would you need all that extra power?? A 300 WM and .338 WM will kill just as good with very little wear and tear on equipment and your shoulder...sure all three will shoot flatter and faster but do you really need it, shorter case life, expense of buying the caseings heck these days even fing some cases.... Either way good luck and enjoy all that power!!
Its about want, not need.....

I have a 30-06 so I dont need any more rifles. But I have 10 other rifles ranging from 17 Winchester super mag to .300 Weatherby. Because I wanted them......

I have the improved version of the 300lapua...Love it, its a beast. That said barrel life is more limited than the RUM's. That and are you sure you want to go with a wildcat? I'm about to add a 338Lapua to my stable for a few reasons but one being I'll have the option of factory loaded ammo if in a pinch. I'd strongly consider the 338Lapua.

There is a lot of work and cost in bushing down .338 Lapua to .300 Lapua. I still have 1 .300 rum which is for hunting and 2-7mm shortmags for target. If I ever do another big mag I am with J E Customs on what he said about the .338 Edge, it will be a.338 Edge. On the other hand you have the Lapua brass.

Its about want, not need.....

I have a 30-06 so I dont need any more rifles. But I have 10 other rifles ranging from 17 Winchester super mag to .300 Weatherby. Because I wanted them......

Bingo. I have no use for a 338 AM and will not even be able to take it hunting that much. That being said at least I know I have a huge round and gets slot of holy ***** when it come out.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.