2013 Big Game Hunts

I'm going on my first ever rifle elk hunt to New Mexico, near the Gila area. I'm taking my new Winchester model 70 300 win mag. I'm having a new barrel put on it and the stock bedded. Hoping it will print .5 to .75 MOA.

Thus far, it's either sex special elk tag for the Beartooth WMA and hoping to send off 175gr Matrix VLD off my .270 AI. Also, general elk, general deer, WT doe, and bear tag.

Still waiting for special draw cow elk and either sex antelope tags.

Nevada 081 mule deer-december rifle hunt:D
Montana deer and waiting to see on antelope.
California?
Looking to purchase a new one in either a 300 or maybe a 7.:)

I got NV COw elk early with Bow
Valle Calderas ELk in NM with my 338 Lapua
Montana COmbo tag for deer and elk in Nov 338 Lapua and maybe my 7mm STW

No joy for AZ elk or antelope. Still waiting to hear on my AZ deer and sheep tags in AZ. Staying away from CO this year. Personal choice. My protest for their rash political decision on their gun/magazine ban. I urge others to do the same. I will find some other place to hunt.

Unfortunately, boycotting the Colorado Parks & Wildlife isn't really the way to go about showing your discontent...

cohunter14,

It has been my experience that while most governments and governmental agencies will listen to complaints, it is dollars that get their attention. While CO Parks and Wildlife is not responsible for the legislation, they are part of the same state government. A boycott is a legitimate and effective way of getting the attention of the legislature (which ignored the voices of their hunting public).

MagPul Industries would also disagree with you. As an industry and employer in CO, they had their say about the restrictive laws. When those laws were enacted, MagPul could have stayed and tried to change the laws. Instead, they announce their decision to move their company and revenue out of state. First they tried their voice. As a last resort, they voted with their feet and their dollars.

I also vacation in CO, but will not be spending my dollars there either in the future. I have intentionally not vacationed in CA in over ten years for the same reason. And that is a hard thing to do for an AZ resident. Take a page from our opponents game plan. It works for them.

Sorry about the hijack.....back to big game hunting.

They might be a government agency, but all the money spent on tags goes right back in to the CPW to manage the fish and wildlife and protect the sports we love. Boycotting hunting removes money from our own team, not the other team.

Police departments are 'government' agencies as well. Did you see all of the sherrifs and officers who came out opposing the bills? Just because it is a government agency doesn't mean you are throwing money to the idiots who just put the bill in place. It actually has the opposite effect. One of those effects could end up being increased tag prices next year (they need to make the revenue somehow). Just throwing out my two cents, back to the big game hunts...

I struck out on multiple species in Utah. Now up to 10 elk points and 9 desert sheep points. No love from Kentucky either, still waiting on the Maine moose results. I also chose not to put in for a Colorado license this year. I have hunted Colorado at least 10 times over the years.

I'm headed up to central Alberta in September for a spot and stalk black bear hunt with a two bear limit. If I can take one with rifle I plan on trying for the second bear with my bow. I first hunted bear 25 years ago in Ontario and tried again last year over bait in Ontario with no luck. This year I'm gonna make it happen!

Montana trophy mule deer area permit. Plan on using new 338-375 Ruger with 250gr Berger VLDs @2950 fps.

Normally hunt deer in the mountains of Montana with a 6.5mm Rem Mag, but due to the possibility of high winds in the eastern Montana trophy hunting district, I want a big bullet with really high BC in case the trophy of a lifetime only gives me a shot at long range with a high crosswind.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.