338 lapua feedback for hunting

squeaker

Im getting ready to start building a 338 for hunting and would like some feedback.
Im thinking of starting with a bat m 1.55".
Id like recomendatouns on barrel length and contour,.
30 or 32", stable countor but not to heavy like 13# or so unscoped, brake or not

I'm shooting a lapua with a 32" barrel with a straight taper from 1.25" down to .900" at the muzzle. I shot this setup for a little over a year unbreaked but then installed a APS Painkiller break so I can spot my own shots. My rig weighs in at 20# scoped. As far as the action I don't know anything about them I use a savage target action. I like the added barrel length for the extra velocity when shooting the heavies.

squeaker,

Check out the post I just put of my daughter's 338 Lapua. This rifle has a 26" #7 contour Lilja barrel with a pain killer brake. Built on a APS Raptor action. The recoil is very mild. The rifle with a NightForce 8-32X56 weighs in at 14.7 lbs.

im even possibly thinking of an abs carbon barrel, but i need to find out more.
brass showed up today.

I think a six pound Lapua would be great. And don't bother with them sissy breaks, recoil pads and scopes with 4 inches of eye relief....all highly over rated!!:D (I was looking for the little winky smiley face...you know...the one with only ONE EYE because he took my advice....)

I had a LR rifle built this winter in 7 Rem mag, that would be equally useable in your caliber choice and doesn't weigh 20#.
Mine uses a BAT HR action, 28" Kreiger #19 hunter contour, Jewell trigger, Greybull stock, Badger Max 50 rings, and Schmidt Bender 4-16 PMII scope. Weight is just 13.5 lbs according to the bathroom scale. I shoot around 1/2 MOA out to 1K with it. Put a brake on it and it would be a ***** cat. I carry mine in an Eberlestock Gunrunner pack. Easy to carry.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.