right weight for big 338

Looks like he wouldn't be able to mount the scope in this position if he had a 3 screw rear ring, at least with that base. He would have to move the scope rearward.
Think it's an eye relief/position thing.

Looks like he wouldn't be able to mount the scope in this position if he had a 3 screw rear ring, at least with that base. He would have to move the scope rearward.
Think it's an eye relief/position thing.
Thx

The easiest way to save 1lb of weight on your rifle is the scope selection. I put weight in the barrel, not the scope. My scope weighs 16oz. With Seekin's 7075 Al rings, saving another 2-3oz.
The lighter the rifle becomes, the more obnoxious a 30oz scope becomes. More so when backpack hunting.
I carried a 30oz scope with steel rings for about 3 seasons. That was enough. Never again. I have zero use for any scope weighing more than 22oz, no matter NF stamping. The lighter the scope and mounts, the better the rifle balance, and fewer chiropractic appointments.
I currently carry 3-18x Swaro Z5 scopes with BRX reticles. Completely functional for 4 seasons now with muzzle-braked 300 and 338 magnums.

Makes sense, my 300wm has a leupold vx6 3-18 and I think it's 20oz or so. it does everything I could want and offers plenty of power for long shots. I'll probably look in that area for the scope for this build. Might try for 4-24, but I think with the quality 18x is enough for 95% of situations.

The heaviest I'll build a 338 is 12.5 lb range, there is no gain in going heavier! My favorite was 8.6 lbs with a NF on it, shoots unreal and since it's light the brake is more effective in shitting down the recoil and it's a ***** cat to shoot. I personally wouldn't build myself on over 10 lbs.
8.6lbs a carbon barrel?
10lbs all decked out is a nice weight. Getting lighter than that starts getting expensive, per ounce of weight savings.

I think that the 3-18 or similar is the best power range of them all. good for close work, great top end for longer stuff. nice light weight for what you get. the only thing I can think of that would be better is the 2.5-25 march, but they're a bit more expensive.

I have the March and that bit of upper power is rarely useful to me.I really like rest and low profie turret

The easiest way to save 1lb of weight on your rifle is the scope selection. I put weight in the barrel, not the scope. My scope weighs 16oz. With Seekin's 7075 Al rings, saving another 2-3oz.
The lighter the rifle becomes, the more obnoxious a 30oz scope becomes. More so when backpack hunting.
I carried a 30oz scope with steel rings for about 3 seasons. That was enough. Never again. I have zero use for any scope weighing more than 22oz, no matter NF stamping. The lighter the scope and mounts, the better the rifle balance, and fewer chiropractic appointments.
I currently carry 3-18x Swaro Z5 scopes with BRX reticles. Completely functional for 4 seasons now with muzzle-braked 300 and 338 magnums.

Same for me. My rifles became a lot more packable since I quit drinking the Nightforce Koolaid. I still have some Vortex AMGs coming in at ~ 29 oz on my non-carry rifles, but I won't purchase another scope weighing more than 30 oz for any rifle type. There is no need for the extra weight.

Just picked up my .338 RUM from the gunsmith. 9.6 pounds as pictured.

Attachments

• E11B0722-D774-46EB-9CF4-EAAE4490CA1A.jpeg
    E11B0722-D774-46EB-9CF4-EAAE4490CA1A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
see now, that barrel looks pretty thin to me, what's the contour? looks like #4 or so. bet you saved quite a bit of weight with that stock too. what are your build specs?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts