Getting the right weight rifle

Gentlemen, I greatly appreciate the redponses so far. This is my take on summarizing…

We already know that recoil tolerance is subjective , and as I suspected, answers range from 7 to 12 pounds. Lol.

The majority of responses seem to indicate that 9-10 pounds is good for 300WM. Other responses say that a good brake can take that down to 8.5.

Next, let me ask a reframing question. Since my current rifle is not just heavy, but hard to shoot offhand because of balance, what is your advice on making it handy? One response was to rebarrel or cut down the current barrel. I believe 300WM loses 40fps per inch. I think I'd be fine shooting a 180 at 2860 instead of 2960, to get a 22" inch barrel.
A carbon barrel will pull the balance back, I have a 28" proof, and a Boyd's laminate on mine and it balances nice

Thanks for an interesting and informative thread.

I shoot a 7 mm rem mag with a 26" barrel. Comes in at 9 lb 2oz with optic and sling. Has a pachmeyr decelerator pad that is very comfortable. I don't use a brake with it. Shooting 162 gr eldx I find it very comfortable to shoot. For all-around shooting it's a nice weight. I think the conventional wisdom of 8.5 - 9.5 lbs for magnums is on the money. If it's a true mountain rifle, go lighter and add a brake or suppressor. Likewise, if recoil is too much at 8.5 - 9.5 lbs can always add a brake later.

For my money, I'd restock with the manners, rebarrel with a proof, and run a suppressor and leave it as a 300 win mag. Will be a much more versatile and unique rifle. If suppressors were legal in Canada, I'd order a 22" magnum and a suppressor tomorrow. YMMV, please let us know what you decide upon.

Wby Backcountry 2.0 Ti Carbon is 6.1lbs in a 300 Wby and it set their in house accuracy record at 3 shots 100yd a .06" group - so really 1 hole. They also make it without the carbon wrapped barrel and it weighs 5.6lbs. I suspect the recoil will be more than noticeable, but if you are gonna stick a can on it, well. I'd love one if I had $4k laying around with no use.
To bad the clowns at weatherby only guarantee moa at best. For 4k you would expect a .5 moa guarantee.
And a 1 hole accuracy record (in house) is worthless if when you call them about a rifle that wont consistently shoot moa or better and there response is...
Pay to ship it here
Pay us to shoot it in house
Pay to get it back
It shoots 1.5 moa consistently and that our guarantee.
Your cost to have us check your *** $1000 rifle we sold you... $400
Gee thanks
Rant over carry on

I generally have a group of ~7# rifles and another group of ~9.5# rifles (with scopes, slings, cheek pads and no ammo).

The max recoil in my 7# rifles is a 280AI Kimber Montana. It likes and I shoot it well with 140AB. For smaller quarries, the 6.5 manbun Barrett Fieldcraft will do the job nicely.

My 9.5# rifles include a 270bee and 7mm magnums. The bee likes 140AB as well and the 7mags like 160ish projectiles. They are all comfortable to shoot and control. I'd probably go with a similar setup for a 300 and limit myself to 180gr projectiles and expect similar results.

And if I was wanting to shoot something heavier than a 180, I would opt to shoot a heavier rifle. I expect that this is never going to happen, though, as I've already parted ways with a very accurate 300wm Remington Sendero - because I never wanted to drag it around.

I expect that I would still prefer the 270bee and/or any of those 280/7mm for most opportunities.

Paradigm CF stock
Defiance deviant hunter
IBI 23" CF 1-7.5" twist
Hawkins M5 BDL
Trigger tech at 1.5 lb
Three port brake made by a friend who is a gunsmith.
NF NX8 4-32 SFP

If I was able, I'd post a picture. But not computer savvy.

Attachments

• 449BC091-180E-4092-9F06-50C596F9DB85.jpeg
    449BC091-180E-4092-9F06-50C596F9DB85.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • B6C4BB3A-CB65-47A7-BE92-983B08F7FE3E.jpeg
    B6C4BB3A-CB65-47A7-BE92-983B08F7FE3E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
Paradigm CF stock
Defiance deviant hunter
IBI 23" CF 1-7.5" twist
Hawkins M5 BDL
Trigger tech at 1.5 lb
Three port brake made by a friend who is a gunsmith.
NF NX8 4-32 SFP

If I was able, I'd post a picture. But not computer savvy.
Very nice!

That will work !!! Lathe, blast cabinet .... you build your own? Sure handy doing it that way..
My friend does the gunsmith work for me. I collect the parts and then he chambers, crowns, thread for brake etc. Then we assemble. He likes tools and got the lathe a few years ago to do his own F open barrels. Then word got out in the F class and FTR community and now he's quite busy all winter. Which is ok because there's not much to do here in Southern Manitoba in winter. I enjoy watching the whole process as well.

8-8.5 for general purpose 30cal hunting rifle. 30-06, 300wsm, 300win Mag. That's the sweet spot for myself. 6.5-7lbs is pretty nice in 270win, 6.5creedmoor, etc….