1000yds: Picking the right rifle

thehulk

Hey guys, thanks for clicking. I'd like constructive feedback from some knowledgeable people like you guys!

So I am trying to get back in the game and have found Red Hawk Rifles. I really like the REMINGTON 700 LA A5 TACTICAL/TARGET RIFLE w/300RUM round selection.

It will be used to hunt medium to long distance (500-1000yds) on medium to heavy sized game (deer, hogs and elk)

Heres the link https://redhawkrifles.com/products/...al-rifles/red-hawk-rifles/remington-700-la-a5

I am also considering a Viper Vortex PST scope (previous experience with them)

I will not be hand loading.

Finding 300 RUM brass is a real pain. I think a 300 WM would do you just as well at those distances and give you better barrel life. When I shoot my 300 RUM out, it will definitely be rebarreled to something else.

Considering that you will not be hand loading, I would go with the 300 Win Mag. Applied ballistics makes 300 win mag ammo and it shoots very well

In my opinion,
If a deer's vitals are say 8"×6" you need to be able to hit this area every time at any distance you feel comfortable, when you aren't able to hit it every shot (from a hunting position not from a bench rest unless you'll be hunting on a bench rest) thats is your ethical limit.
Also you need enough terminal energy at that distance to ensure a humane harnest.

With your goals of distance, game and not reloading I would STRONGLY suggest the 300 Win mag and work with the Applied Ballistics ammo loaded with the 215 Berger. You will have to decide the ethics of it on the range and based on your ability, the 300 Win and 215 Berger are up to it if you put in the effort!!

300 WM as for all the reasons mentioned. I would also reconsider scope choice. I am not a fan of the Vortex PST...terrible glass in my opinion.

Well, I'm going to disagree with the unanimous selection of the .300 Win Mag. Run some of the numbers with available ammunition and you come up short for elk at 1,000 yards. 550-675 ft. lbs. of energy at 1,000 doesn't quite cut it according to what you all subscribe to for minimum remaining energy.

Now, since you're abstaining from reloading, which I think is a mistake, you can buy yourself a fine rifle chambered for the 28 Nosler cartridge factory loaded with the 175 gr. ABLR bullet which retains well over 1,200 ft. lbs. at 1,000 yards. I am working with the 28 Nosler loaded with the 195 gr. Berger Hybrid Elite Hunter which is not only accurate but retains 1,550 ft. lbs.of energy at 1,000 yards. It is so accurate that I use these same bullets in a Match rifle I'm fielding this year.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Well, I'm going to disagree with the unanimous selection of the .300 Win Mag. Run some of the numbers with available ammunition and you come up short for elk at 1,000 yards. 550-675 ft. lbs. of energy at 1,000 doesn't quite cut it according to what you all subscribe to for minimum remaining energy.

Now, since you're abstaining from reloading, which I think is a mistake, you can buy yourself a fine rifle chambered for the 28 Nosler cartridge factory loaded with the 175 gr. ABLR bullet which retains well over 1,200 ft. lbs. at 1,000 yards. I am working with the 28 Nosler loaded with the 195 gr. Berger Hybrid Elite Hunter which is not only accurate but retains 1,550 ft. lbs.of energy at 1,000 yards. It is so accurate that I use these same bullets in a Match rifle I'm fielding this year.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Not sure what you mean. Abm ammo advertises 2886 Fps on their website for the 215 grain berger. That looks to carry almost 1400 ft lbs of energy at 1000

Actually it's pretty simple when you look at the way the rifle is set up.

Most .300 Win. Mags are build on a standard length long action (without modification) with a max OAL of 3.340". When you examine what AMB states they are running 3.600" which requires a custom action or a customized action or a Remington.

I was using readily available standardize ammunition rather that hyper expensive custom ammunition, such that we all might find in the store, the logic used in defeating the use of wildcats. I was also using bullets weights generally associated with elk hunting and readily available in multiple types of bullets to suit the users needs or desires, not just one type of bullet.

So multiple examples or just one used as an exception to the rule?

Of course our opinions are going to vary, with good reason. Otherwise we'd all be shooting the .30-06 Springfield with little or no variations.

Your choice of course. I'll stick with 28 Nolser and not have to worry about spending $53.00/box of 20 when I want to just go shoot a little.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.