Vihtavuori for the big .338's?

EXPRESS

How do the Vihtavuori line, especially the N500 series perform in the big .338's?

Where I live I don't have access to Retumbo, Rel22 33 or many of the other propellants I see being mentioned here.

I'm talking .338 AX or possible a .388 Norma Improved.

How do the Vihtavuori line, especially the N500 series perform in the big .338's?

Where I live I don't have access to Retumbo, Rel22 33 or many of the other propellants I see being mentioned here.

I'm talking .338 AX or possible a .388 Norma Improved.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Vihtavuori powders state side because they are hard to find and 2+ times the price of other powders, "BUT" the ones I have used are very good.

I have a wildcat 338 that holds 114 to 119 grains of N570 and will push a 300 grain bullet at just over 3150 ft/sec with out trashing the cases. The N570 appears to be the best choice in this cartridge (338 Texan) and it should work well in 338 cases of more than 100 grain capacity.

Quick load shows other powders are close, but not quite as fast @ the same pressures.

In the states N 570 runs about $50.00 a pound while other powders are $20.00 to $30.00 a pound.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

Thanks, that is encouraging.

The .338 Norma starts with 107 grains water capacity, so I would hope that it gets another 5 grains at least through being blown out.

Tell me about expensive powder, here, the Vihtavuori powders run over €110 per kg, around $60 per lb.

I know that the VV line of powders as well as most other powders are expensive in Europe but there are better prices here in the States if you shop around:

Powder Valley:

[SIZE=-1]VIHN570-01 *[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]VIHTAVUORI N570 - 1 LB. [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Yes[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]$36.75[/SIZE]
You might also look into:

[SIZE=-1]NOBEL SPORT VECTAN TUBAL 8000

or

Norma MRP2

Regards.

[/SIZE]

Agree, that would be living high off the hog at $35-40 or more a pound !! If you could even find it...I use vit-133 in my bench rest 6ppc but that's it. I would imagine they make something for big magnums but I never bothered to ever check.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.