Weight vs shootability

My Montana .308 is a bit over 6 lbs "all up" but it's a tough bugger to shoot well much beyond 300 yds...operator issues I'm sure:)

I'm only concerned to shooting to 700 on most days, have plenty of ops to go longer but for me at some point the critter wins.

That said, I want a gun "all up" (scoped, sling, rounds, can, bipod etc) or 8 lbs at most and have no issues with good conditions doing it with my 7 lbs "all up" ULA/270.

Long as the weight is out front of the gun and not in the middle of the gun I'm golden.

This is by the way for my mountain rigs and not for open country rigs. Open country I'll carry up to 9 or so "all up"

Amen

My carry/mountain rifles, Win Model 70 EW's, Kimber 84's/8400's and REM 700 SPS's all weigh around 8-8.5lbs.
My LR guns, solid front rest/bi-pod/rear bag, start at 12lbs, the lightest, and run right up to 15-16lbs depending on scope. My custom CZ 550 Safari Magnums are 18lbs and that is done deliberately because they are used for LR hunting & ELR competition.
I often carry my 10lb Win Model 70 Classic Stainless in 375 Weatherby for DG, and my 9lb CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 416 Rigby. Both get used on Water Buffalo annually.

Cheers.

10lbs even, 10lbs 9oz with a titanium can for a 300 prc is my sweet spot.
20240103_092515.jpg

My elk gun is a bit over 10 in 300 NMI. I use it when we are glassing from ridge tops and going after a specific animal but not a backpack hunt.

For a "packing gun", I really prefer 8.5-9 in a medium cartridge. Something like 280AI, 7PRC, etc

I use to have a NULA 24B in 280 Rem. Scope, sling and bullets i was under 8lbs.
Alas, I sold it because the chance for a western elk hunt didn't seem like a reality at the time.

Now, I'm determined to get out there and do it! Hopefully this year.

I've been bouncing back and forth on which rifle to take.
I just know that it will be one of my lighter weight rifles.

Weatherby Mark V Weathermark LT in 7mm Weatherby Magnum, just over 8lbs all in.

Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag.

Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI.

Ruger 77 Stainless with the Zytel stock in 270 Win.

My "short range" guns weight much more.
Savage 110 FP in 223 Rem with 10-50X60 Sightron SIII is right at 14lbs.

My 7 mm Rem weighs 7lbs 12oz fully loaded !(was lighter , but added a Swar 3.5X18)
Won't shoot over 600yds.
Have a 300 Win had stays home cause its not needed!

Alas, I sold it because the chance for a western elk hunt didn't seem like a reality at the time.

Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI.

The 7-08.

I like my rifles to be between 7 - 8lbs scoped and fully loaded. It's a good balance between easy to pack and comfortable to shoot with confidence at the ranges I shoot at.

I have a 30-378 wby with a swaro z6 on it that weighs in just at 8 lbs and have zero problems shooting out to 1000 yards with it.

My Montana .308 is a bit over 6 lbs "all up" but it's a tough bugger to shoot well much beyond 300 yds...operator issues I'm sure:)

I had another 84M rebarreled with a Lilja 8 twist in 22/250 Ack cut to 23". Goes .617" at the muzzle. Now this one I can go to 500 with ease. Lean mean fricken killing machine. Still less than 7 lbs "all up". I can take out any game I wish to here in my home state to a long darn ways with this little bugger.

70 Hammers are a freakin drill in it! As are the 73 Bergs
@dogz you still flinging the 55 horns in that Kimber???

Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI.

I'm thinking that 24B .280 would have been the holy grail...

I too have dialed my rifle weights into the 9#
Carry weight range. My 7 SAUM is 8.6# all up including suppressor. My current 300 SAUM "in process" build will come in a few ozs. heavier but still 9# suppressed. I've gone to a bit shorter bbl lengths as well. I find this still maintains a good balance of weight, length, stability, handling, and shootability. I don't shoot lighter rifles quite as well & won't carry heavier/longer if I can avoid it.

View attachment 554390

That's beautiful what's the length on that