Barrel weight vs. accuracy

Nebraska

Hey guys. I've been told that a #1 contour barrel can be just as accurate as a #3 or 4 contour barrel. The only difference will be in how quickly the barrel heats/cools and therefore only matter on shot strings. What's your opinion?

[ 12-18-2002: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

If you are asking if it is possible for a lightweight barrel to be as accurate as a heavy, the answer is yes. But, it is easier to make a heavier barrel accurate, due to the less vibrations, due to stifness of the barrel.

You can shoot more without the barrel "walking" due to heat. I have seen some VERY accurate sporter weight guns. It also depends on your "standard" for accuracy. A .25" group can definately be had with a sporter gun, but a .125" group would be FAR more difficult to obtain. So again, it just depends on your definition.

This has only been my experience, so take it FWIW.

Jim

Yes a sporter weight can potentialy be as accurate as a heavy one. One reason that I opt to use a #8 is because on that 1st cold shot my #1 bullet is much closer to #2,3,4 and so on, due to the increased ridgidity of the heavy barrel. They also last longer due to heat dispersment. Once you have a good barrel you want to keep it as long as possible. It all depends on what you want to do with it. Most people dont want to carry a 13+ pound rifle up a mountain with a heavy pack, but that same person might want to carry it accross flat country after small targets at long ranges, such as antelope or in some cases deer, ect... If shots are going to be long, that first shot may be your only, make it count. If such accuracy is not needed, go with somthing lighter. Personally after using each type extensivly, I wouldnt trade my heavy barrels for anything. But I do admit it gets tiresome lugging it up mountains after sheep, But it is worth it when I need it.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.