Terminal performance..... velocity vs energy vs retained weight

I would be interested in trying hammer bullets. I'm not trying to be rude and mean no disrespect and I don't feel like I have had my head down in the sand, but I have not heard of hammer bullets and I've been reloading over 20 years now. Where would I buy them and how much are they?
That is ok. We have only been around now for 2.5 years of your 20 years of reloading. If you decide to give us a try you won't be disappointed. Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

For me, I've noticed with my 300AX and it 5,100ft lbs is not all that impressive on deer until ~400 yards and on. Crazy right considering it driving a 200gr accubond 3400fps? On bigger animal like aoudad 250-350lbs it's quite impressive. Flattens them on spot. Guess the extra mass, muscle and bone density play apart in transferring a greater amount of energy for more dramatic kills. I've beeb looking at some of the various monos like the cutting edge Maximus and a few of the hammers for it in hopes of the shedding petal/blades helping it out on softer game.

I also shoot a 458 socom. It nothing special with 300gr TTSX's is does a casual 1800fps. My first deer with it acted like it hadn't been hit up until he fell over despite his liver being in half. I've recovered bullets from aoudad with it that all retained 100% of their weight minus that tip and in that .840-.930" range expanded. Given the low velocity you don't get a lot of that hydrostatic shock. I did notice when I switched to the CEB 260gr Maximus loaded to ~1950fps it was far more authoritative in comparison to the TTSX. The TTSX wounds looked like a drill bit passed through. Where the CEB effects a much larger area and sometimes leaves multiple exits. Cool thing is it's soft enough to act like a TSX at longer ranges for that cartridge.

We all want the mythical magic bullet, There is not a one do all bullet out there. Pick a bullet construction that you like. I like the pass through, my bullets of choice Accubonds, Accubond LR, TTSX and LRX. Shot placement and accuracy trump everything.

I prefer all three, 2900+ mv, near 100% retained weight, calibers starting with .33 and up....which will have substantial energy, if the 2900 mv is adhered to! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts