Shootability vs. Packability. What is the optimal rifle weight?

10-12 is where most of mine are.
The problem that I have with rifles is finding a comfortable way to pack them. I can carry 80lbs without problems in a good pack, but hanging a 15 rifle off of one shoulder gets uncomfortable pretty quickly for me.
I'd like to find a comfortable way to carry a rifle that still allows quick access to it, it's been an ongoing search.
Kifaru gunbearer

There comes a point in your life where you start paying for all of those years of staying fit and challenging your body in every way and when you get there your ankles, knees, and hips will let you know.

Many of us have crossed that barrier and found there's no coming back even after surgery.

More commonly though, most people simply cannot stay in that kind of shape because they are too busy working and raising families.

Hips! I forgot the sore hips. After carrying the heavy rig around my hips would hurt so much at night I couldn't sleep. I tried a thicker sleeping pad but finally gave up the backpack hunts. With a lighter gun, the .454 for example, I did a 7 day hunt last week sleeping in an empty and cold cabin on two thermrest pads and my hips were much better.
Back surgery 5 years ago got me back to work, but not back to 20.

I know there are going to be a lot of varying opinions here, but I'm interested in what the long range hunting community has to say. A few years back, I bought a 7mm WSM with a Manners T4 and M24 Broughton barrel. The rifle's total weight is 14lbs with a bipod. When I got the rifle, I thought to myself, "I'm never going to hunt with this thing. It's way too heavy!" However, I quickly fell in love with the weight and balance which makes it so easy to shoot. Everyone who gets behind it shoots it well. That is how a gun 'I was never going to hunt with' has turned into my go to hunting rifle. My brothers-in-law have killed all their deer with it over the last three years, and last year my wife shot an elk at 585 yards with it. Even though it's 14lbs, I never hesitate to bring it along.

Most people I speak with who want a long range hunting rifle, but haven't shot a ton, want a sub 10lb rifle. I try to tell them that there are some advantages to weight, but it's hard to change their mind until they shoot a few different rifles--from light to heavy--side by side. Then they start to lean toward the heavy guns. For you long range hunters, what is your perfect balance between shootability and packability?[/QUOTE

NO QUESTION IS A STUPID QUESTION! it totally depends on what you're intending on SHOOTING. I have em from 9lbs for carrying that I use for out to a mile. Then again I have 1 at 28lbs for the Bench. If you are Man enuff to lug it around and it'll NOT INTERFER with your shooting ability or ruin your Hunt from being tired from carrying your rifle, side arm, and pack, GO FOR IT! Bottom line in my opinion is this; NEVER go HUNTING for chosen game without ENUFF GUN! What if you see a MONSTER BULL ELK at 1000 yards and you have a light weight .270 or .308, your outta luck partner. I always have enuff gun to KILL my prey at any distance CLEANLY! Ted Smith Jr

Russell how does that 26 shoot ? Any details for us I find that set up so interesting especially the folding stock. Something about it that I like and if your at 8.5 like that then you could do 8 with short action and 24 inch barrel.

Lol. Touche. I'm 34 though. My point is that you can pack heavier equipment overall if your physically fit enough to do it. Physical fitness can be achieved at any age. You can also be physically unfit at any age. I've had twenty year old guys that couldn't keep up with me on backpacking hunts and I've hunted with 41 year old guys that I couldn't keep up with even if I wanted to when it comes to rucking.
I was still bullet proof at 41!

Steve

Great thread.

I want to narrow it down a bit. What weight rifle for shooting game past 1000y?

My opinion is it should be 12 lbs min.

Steve

Not to mean disrespect....but unless you are a very successful hunter, you will carry the rifle many hours more than game killed. Also, most lighter weight rifles can be exceedingly accurate, some will maintain accuracy through a several shot string.....unlikely in a hunting scenario. The accuracy of the first shot is "generally" the most important shot! memtb
This has become a great thread.

Interesting comment, I just got done with our last meat haul of the year. one of our haul out discussions, to keep our minds off from the knee, hip and shoulder pain, was regarding our lopsided ratio of hunting/meat-hauling. Here are our stats for this season, and this is pretty typical of every year. We do almost all of our hunts together.

Buddy:
Elk 1 - 1 day pre scouting, 1/2 day hunt, two 1/2 days packing meat.

Mulie - 2-1/2 days hunting (this is always our "fun hunt" where we are passing up multiple bucks per day and not "racing" to kill). 1/2 day packing meat.

Elk 2 - 1/2 day pre-season scouting, 1/2 day hunt. 1 full day packing meat.

Breakdown: 1-1/2 days scouting, 3-1/2 days hunting, 2-1/2 days packing meat (2 elk, 1 mulie).

Me:
Sitka Blacktail - this one skews the results because it was a destination hunt and with a different friend. Killed his deer on day 5, mine on day 7, of a 10 day hunt. I'm going to count this as 4 days scouting, 3 days hunting for me. 1 full day for packing meat/camp for each deer.

Black bear: 1/2 day hunt, 1/2 day pack out.

Elk - 2 days scouting, 1/2 day hunt, two 1/2 days packing meat.

Mulie - 2 days hunting, 1/2 day packing meat.

Breakdown: 6 days scouting, 6 days hunting, 3 days packing meat (a bear, a blacktail, an elk and a mulie).

Anyways, my rifle is 8-1/4 lbs (not including stock bag, sling and ammo), so I'll say 9 lbs ready to kill. I feel that it's the perfect weight for me. We typically hike about 6-8 mtn miles per day for deer. Same, likely more, for elk. I won't shoot past 500 at game because I don't have the time to practice to be proficient at longer ranges (and because if I'm being honest, I'd rather be at archery range).
upload_2018-11-4_8-41-5.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-4_8-49-39.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-4_8-49-39.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 94
A 270 TikkaT3 re chambered to 270 Wby Mag is my go to all around with a leupold prs ffp. It comes in at just over 8# Extremely accurate and deadly out to 1K Whats not to like?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.