Shootability vs. Packability. What is the optimal rifle weight?

This ^^^

I have a female Deputy in my Department that is 4' 11" and 115 lbs and runs her department issued Glock model 22 better than half the male Deputies in the County. Before starting with the Department 4 years ago she had never fired a handgun. Being the firearms instructor for our county, I spent some a good sum of time with her on the range, focusing on proper grip and stance in the beginning, then moving on to more complicated drills. Why she is better than a lot of other guys is she has a crazy amount of drive, she is always pestering me for more practice ammo, and I love it ha ha.

Anyone, almost entirely reguardless of size, can run a full sized glock just fine, but it just takes more work for some than others, and sometimes it is just simply not going to happen with some people for whatever reasons, so you do have to use workarounds such as different spring wieghts. This is a work around though, proper training is always better.

Sorry. I have ran this further off course.....

Yeah I noticed how you worded it and the logic behind your fix. Competitive shooters have been playing with spring tension on their pistols for different loads. I trained LEO at a police academy in So Cal many moons ago. And as you can imagine many were females. And many were petite and were excepted to shoot standard issue pistols. We never changed springs to over come limp wristing issues. But personal protection is a personal choice so if the changing out of springs works for you all that's fine. It's just been my experience that even petite women can overcome limp wristing issues with training. Even the heavier recoiling pistols, rifles, shotgun and so on, I generally found women to be easier to train, and many times they were better shots than most men. Kudos to you for teaching your girls to shoot. We need more women shooters.
Most likely this is where it comes from. Been a competitive shooter all my life. Wasn't given a little boy, but soon learned girls can be just as good or even better hunters anyway. At the very least, my girls have no fear of the dark, or what may lurk there. They both have well tuned rifles, pistols, and shotguns, that fit them, and they are good with them.

This ^^^

I have a female Deputy in my Department that is 4' 11" and 115 lbs and runs her department issued Glock model 22 better than half the male Deputies in the County. Before starting with the Department 4 years ago she had never fired a handgun. Being the firearms instructor for our county, I spent some a good sum of time with her on the range, focusing on proper grip and stance in the beginning, then moving on to more complicated drills. Why she is better than a lot of other guys is she has a crazy amount of drive, she is always pestering me for more practice ammo, and I love it ha ha.

Anyone, almost entirely reguardless of size, can run a full sized glock just fine, but it just takes more work for some than others, and sometimes it is just simply not going to happen with some people for whatever reasons, so you do have to use workarounds such as different spring wieghts. This is a work around though, proper training is always better.

Great Job. We all shoot 1911's and springs also affect timing to a degree. You can take one, a hand full of springs, and a chrono to the range. Change them and watch the SD of the same load change. Pretty cool. What was it we were talking about? This has gotten so far off base I can't even remember. Guess I should shut up and go back to work.

18 pound FTR rifles and up to 22 pound FO rifles are shooting machines. The perfect weight for carrying is zero.

Therefore, with the power of mathematics the ideal compromise should be between 9 and 11 pounds.:)

Got a cell signal up on a 9,500 ft. ridge in CO, so thought I'd weigh in on rifle wt. A week ago I'd have said 10# + for a hunting rifle was ideal, but after a week of up & down I'd trade my front seat in hell for a 7# rig. I know it won't shoot as well, but at 70 years old, it's time to get a lighter rig or move down to the sage brush.

Well, lunch is over and I'd better get back to hunting. This warm weather and full moon has turned the mulies to nocturnal, at least the older ones. It's tuff working the ledge rocks with this anchor on my shoulder, but it's still the greatest joy I know of to spend time in the fall.

Got a cell signal up on a 9,500 ft. ridge in CO, so thought I'd weigh in on rifle wt. A week ago I'd have said 10# + for a hunting rifle was ideal, but after a week of up & down I'd trade my front seat in hell for a 7# rig. I know it won't shoot as well, but at 70 years old, it's time to get a lighter rig or move down to the sage brush.

Well, lunch is over and I'd better get back to hunting. This warm weather and full moon has turned the mulies to nocturnal, at least the older ones. It's tuff working the ledge rocks with this anchor on my shoulder, but it's still the greatest joy I know of to spend time in the fall.

Good on you Sir! I hope to be doing the same when I get to your age. You got me by a little over a decade. :cool:

I am currently using a Kifaru universal gunbearer to help me on my gun carry going up and down the MT wilderness ...

This ^^^

It's all about learning a good technique and practicing it till it becomes a reflex.

Good on you Sir! I hope to be doing the same when I get to your age. You got me by a little over a decade. :cool:

I am currently using a Kifaru universal gunbearer to help me on my gun carry going up and down the MT wilderness ...

Thanks FEENIX, I wasn't aware they made the universal unit for packs of other makers. It looks like it will take the bulk of weight off the shoulder and still be fast. Now if someone will invent one that takes the weight off my knees, I'll be a happy hunter.

Thanks FEENIX, I wasn't aware they made the universal unit for packs of other makers. It looks like it will take the bulk of weight off the shoulder and still be fast. Now if someone will invent one that takes the weight off my knees, I'll be a happy hunter.

Aye Sir they do >>> https://store.kifaru.net/universal-gun-bearers-p197.aspx

I hear you on the knees issue, I often envy those on horseback.

Don't laugh too hard but the do. There are wheeled rigs for hauling out meat and of course when all else fails you could pick up a golf bag cart at a garage sale for next to nothing. I've seen "seasoned Americans" in the mountains of NM and Colorado using them for small packs.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.