Shootability vs. Packability. What is the optimal rifle weight?

She may ha
"I may ditch those for a Glock."

May I hijack the thread for a moment? I purchased a Glock in 9mm. When my wife fired it the cases would fall right down beside the gun. When I fired it they would fly several feet away. I like what she was doing but could not duplicate it.:(
She may have been "limp wristing" it. Do you have fairly large hands and she has small hands? Many people think of squeezing hard on the grip which is good. I also say concentrate on getting as much surface contact and making sure wrists are locked.

You may like what she is doing but much lighter grip and she could end up having a failure to extract.

I had a 270 put together with a magum contour for the 165 Matrix that was right at 9.2#.
1000 yards was very consistent. If it was a magnum I think 10 would be about right.

I had a 270 put together with a magum contour for the 165 Matrix that was right at 9.2#.
1000 yards was very consistent. If it was a magnum I think 10 would be about right
Was that a standard 270 Win with 1-10" twist? What velocities were you getting? How do you like it?

May I hijack the thread for a moment? I purchased a Glock in 9mm. When my wife fired it the cases would fall right down beside the gun. When I fired it they would fly several feet away. I like what she was doing but could not duplicate it.:(
By limpwristing it she's taking away the forward momentum of hos the brass normally is kicked out. Normally a Glock throws it slightly ahead and to the right.

With the weaker wrists and arms than you the "launch pad" is moving backwards quite a bit with each shot.

Here, watch this, apply, and it will help.

As others have said, sounds like a "limp wrist" issue. It can cause firearm malfunctions, especially with a less reliable handgun than a glock. Good hijack!! back on topic....go!! ha ha.

She may ha
She may have been "limp wristing" it. Do you have fairly large hands and she has small hands? Many people think of squeezing hard on the grip which is good. I also say concentrate on getting as much surface contact and making sure wrists are locked.
It's not an insult it's a desctriptive term instructors use.

If you absorb the shock loosely with the wrists it changes how everything acts on recoil from the angle of ejection to bullet impact.

If you can video each of you shooting you can email or text it to me and I can analyze it and give you a better answer but that's probabl where it is.

Loose grip, improper grip, limp wrists, or failure to lock the elbow or any combination of the above causing excessiver rotation resulting in excessive muzzle flip.

tO CONTI
It's not an insult it's a desctriptive term instructors use.

If you absorb the shock loosely with the wrists it changes how everything acts on recoil from the angle of ejection to bullet impact.

If you can video each of you shooting you can email or text it to me and I can analyze it and give you a better answer but that's probabl where it is.

Loose grip, improper grip, limp wrists, or failure to lock the elbow or any combination of the above causing excessiver rotation resulting in excessive muzzle flip.[/QUOTE
To continue the hijack. If she shoots the gun exclusively, and has small hands, and decent form, the problem may persist. It does with one of my daughters. The cure was a lighter recoil spring. You can tune the gun to her. If you shoot it much with the lighter spring, with a stronger hold, you can cause battering in the slide.

boy I messed that up: What I said was; To continue the hijack. If she shoots the gun exclusively, and has small hands, and decent form, the problem may persist. It does with one of my daughters. The cure was a lighter recoil spring. You can tune the gun to her. If you shoot it much with the lighter spring, with a stronger hold, you can cause battering in the slide.

Generally "limp wristing" is a training issue. It can be fixed pretty easily with good training. I don't like to fix shooting issues like that with mechanical devices. But if the person has a physical issue then I don't have a problem with it. Hijack over.

Generally "limp wristing" is a training issue. It can be fixed pretty easily with good training. I don't like to fix shooting issues like that with mechanical devices. But if the person has a physical issue then I don't have a problem with it. Hijack over.
Exactly, why I worded it like I did. Small hands, and weak muscles in female forearms can cause this even with good form. Work on form first, but pistols recoil more with smaller hands. I am just the opposite and have to use a spring stronger than stock most of the time. Neither of my daughters (and the youngest is 24) can shoot my 1911's without stovepipes. They have no issues with THEIR guns.

Yeah I noticed how you worded it and the logic behind your fix. Competitive shooters have been playing with spring tension on their pistols for different loads. I trained LEO at a police academy in So Cal many moons ago. And as you can imagine many were females. And many were petite and were excepted to shoot standard issue pistols. We never changed springs to over come limp wristing issues. But personal protection is a personal choice so if the changing out of springs works for you all that's fine. It's just been my experience that even petite women can overcome limp wristing issues with training. Even the heavier recoiling pistols, rifles, shotgun and so on, I generally found women to be easier to train, and many times they were better shots than most men. Kudos to you for teaching your girls to shoot. We need more women shooters.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.