Shootability vs. Packability. What is the optimal rifle weight?

It depends on the caliber. I have a 300wsm that weights just over 7 pounds bare. After a scope, ammo and suppressor it is about perfect. I can carry it up mountains and across prairies just fine. It does balance great though so that helps as well.

Not exactly sure what my Sako 300Wby weighs but after Sunday it should be a little more. My guess would be it weighs about eight and a half pounds But ten now sounds like it would be better. The gun shoots great but the way my range is setup the 200yd target made for an awkward angled shot. Long story short I got a fat lip from my knuckle hitting me. Another factor that makes a heavy or light gun nice to shoot is how the gun fits you. Most of mine are a little to long in the length of pull. Also the more we shoot I find our shoulder becomes more conditioned to recoil. To answer the OP's question I personally would like my heavyier kickers to weigh 10 to 12 pounds while my other rifles could stay in the 8 pound range.

Where I hunt, we have alot of long range shooting....just this year with 15 animals taken in my family, the range has averaged right at 600 yards, with the 3 farthest being 980, 850, and 816, so we have to be confident with accuracy out to pretty far ranges. For shooting like that, I prefer a rifle of at least 9 lbs. The rifle that I have been using is 13.8 lbs ready to hunt, and chambered in a smaller cartridge, is extremly easy and forgiving to shoot for anyone, and has proven deady on critters. It also makes spotting your own shots extremly easy, which in long range hunting, is vital, especially of your hunting solo.

If I was going on an extreme sheep hunt or something, and knew my shots would be under 500 yards, and I would have a spotter, I would be ok with a light wieght rig, but if I knew that my shots would likely be 500 or more, I would opt for a rifle with finished wieght around 9-10 lbs, and look for a smarter place to shave wieght off my pack. Going light on the one tool that you need to perform on a possibly once in a lifetime hunt just doesn't make sense to me. Spend a couple hundred more on a lighter pack, sleeping bag or tent and have a rifle that will be more forgiving than a 7.5 lb featherwieght.

I like about a 10-11 lb set up, depending on the caliber. I shoot Proof Carbon barrels, and I love the weight saving you get when you use them, not to mention every one I have owned shoots lights out. I also shoot suppressed now, and the extra weight on the end really enhances the "pointability" of my guns. I have toyed with the idea of doing a really light weight 6.5, but I have shot a few sub 8 lb 6.5s and they are a little "jumpy" for me. As long as I am physically capable, I will stick in the 10-11lb range.

what is interesting to me is the actual weight one considers to be "lightweight"

I have a rem700 ss mountain rifle (1992 ADL) with the "tupperware" stock--with scope it sits at the exact same weight as my rem 700 ADL with the #2 profile barrel that is 2" longer

the mountain rifle was supposed to be remington's "lightweight" rifle --but the weight of that old stock is 1/2 pound heavier than the current rem 700 stock so the pencil profile barrel on my mountain rile is a wash for the extra weight in the stock

factory lightweight rifles today are in the higher 5 pound range, and if you custom build one you could get down to just under 5 pounds pretty easily

lightweight rifles are fun to carry, but they do have more muzzle jump/rise on pulling the trigger so efficient muzzle brakes and different shooting techniques should help--recoil pads help the shoulder

I know there are going to be a lot of varying opinions here, but I'm interested in what the long range hunting community has to say. A few years back, I bought a 7mm WSM with a Manners T4 and M24 Broughton barrel. The rifle's total weight is 14lbs with a bipod. When I got the rifle, I thought to myself, "I'm never going to hunt with this thing. It's way too heavy!" However, I quickly fell in love with the weight and balance which makes it so easy to shoot. Everyone who gets behind it shoots it well. That is how a gun 'I was never going to hunt with' has turned into my go to hunting rifle. My brothers-in-law have killed all their deer with it over the last three years, and last year my wife shot an elk at 585 yards with it. Even though it's 14lbs, I never hesitate to bring it along.

Most people I speak with who want a long range hunting rifle, but haven't shot a ton, want a sub 10lb rifle. I try to tell them that there are some advantages to weight, but it's hard to change their mind until they shoot a few different rifles--from light to heavy--side by side. Then they start to lean toward the heavy guns. For you long range hunters, what is your perfect balance between shootability and packability?

My opinion is 9 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, and slung)....my "hunting" rifle comes-in at 9# 1 oz, as described. The recoil ( 55+ ft/lbs @ 20+ fps) while it's an "attention-getter", is certainly not an issue. I'm not a "tough guy"....but would prefer a light rifle with a little extra recoil over a heavy rifle with less recoil! However, about 600 yards on game, with near perfect conditions, is my range limit! memtb

Last edited:
I would suggest looking at your fitness to decide what you can handle. The heavier rifles are more forgiving and recoil far less. I prefer a gun in the 9-12 pound range depending on the cartridge. I personally don't like shooting 7 pound 300 RUMs or similar just to much boom for me.

This depends entirely on your preferences and your sensitivity to weight. I am a big guy and even on long hunts, I always preferred a bit heavier rifle, because, for me, they tended to be more stable at the point of shooting, especially after hiking long distances or shooting immediately after moving (stalking). Also, a heavier rifle will have less felt recoil. This is a consideration if shooting a long-range, high-velocity round, with lots of recoil. So, in point of fact, there is NO "ideal" weight for such a rifle. For most people, probably 7.5 to 9 lbs is good. I prefer the upper end of this. My Elk/ Mule Deer rifle was about 8.5 pounds, loaded. You might prefer a lighter weight rifle. It is up to you.

....If i walk a lot i want a rifle around 7 or 7.5 lbs. Short walks 9+ okay. My age is beginning to tell on me. I suspect that most guys as they get older will lighten up also.....

No doubt! Walks are shorter, load is lighter, and hunts/species tailored to match.

I should no doubt be in better shape, but opening day found me in pullovers, as arthritis flare kept me from buttoning shirt. Even gave up on ATV as too painful at mid day.

Somethings you can't get in shape anymore. Some of them are from going hard when you could.

Prior to this year I used my 6.5 SAUM, which all up with Harris bipod weighed just over 10 pounds. I was going to take it to Wyoming again this year but a couple days before we left, my guide said I might want to bring a lighter weight rifle as we'd be climbing a hiking a lot more than normal.

This offseason I bought an Eberlestock X project EXC backpack that has the built in rifle scabbard. So I used that and my 7mm08 (weighed about 8.75 lbs with bipod) fit great in it, with bipod attached. Hiking was much simpler with the rifle in the backpack, I'm going that route from now on. Working on getting my 6.5 SAUM to fit so I can use it on my hunt next year.

I have a Sako 75 in 300 WSM, McMillan Hunter Stock and Swarovski Z5 scope. With bipod, sling and full mag, it weighs 8.75 lbs. It's my dedicated elk rifle and I don't even notice it on my shoulder when I'm hiking up and down mountains all day chasing elk

No doubt! Walks are shorter, load is lighter, and hunts/species tailored to match.

I should no doubt be in better shape, but opening day found me in pullovers, as arthritis flare kept me from buttoning shirt. Even gave up on ATV as too painful at mid day.

Somethings you can't get in shape anymore. Some of them are from going hard when you could.
Yup as much as I hate to admit it I'm in the same boat now. When I was a young medic in a Scout platoon carrying a 40lb medical bag, atleast 60lb ruck, and a M60 was no big deal. Now a days I pack my Eberlestock up with gear and my PSS, walking stick in hand to train, but now the training days are few between and far shorter than before. Short walks and driving around with my Featherweight is probably far more realistic now.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.