Shootability vs. Packability. What is the optimal rifle weight?

FCAF8577-F0D7-45A1-B83D-89CE922D1A85.jpeg
0067964E-D074-46E1-BCD8-1451FD115120.jpeg
616ED1ED-B089-4F9F-9433-D57BA42C864D.jpeg
344B45A7-8352-436E-AEA4-CB98CF5DA8E0.jpeg
This is my go to hunting rifle. It's 18lbs and I pack it every where, high country- low lands. It just shoots so well I don't want anything else. Maybe I just got used to the weight

I like the lighter rifles for the mountain hunting I do. I do train all year around to stay in top physical shape for work and still believe lighter is always going to be better. Yea, I can train with a 16lbs rifle, but when it comes time for the hunt it just makes that 7.5lbs rifle a lot easier to pack along. I prefer to train heavy so my light gear lets me fly. Long range for me (<600yds) is probably considered close or mid range for many of the members here. I'm comfortable if I can hit an 8'' paper plate at 600 yards with a 7.5lbs short mag setup. That's a dead elk, deer, bear every time. My current build should come in right around 7.25lbs and is chambered for 270SS. If I were shooting out to greater distances, lobbing a lot of rounds down range, or shooting a full length magnum of .308 or larger, I would definitely opt for a heavier weight rifle. For my current needs though, a 6.5, 270, or 7mm short mag will do it all and in a lighter weight package.

Last edited:
My 300 RUM weighs 10lb 4oz. Would not want it less than 10lbs. Between 8 and 9 seems like a much lighter load, but I would want it in a smaller caliber. .338, more like 12lbs. But, I am getting old and whine more than I used to.

Fit and shoot ability are more of a determination to my ownership of a particular rifle than weight. However a general rule for me is the more recoil than the more weight is needed for accuracy.

I have become a lot more sensitive to weight the older I get. When I first started hunting hard in my mid 20s I used a stock Weatherby accumark, and a Blaser R93 off-road...neither lightweight options ( between 10-12.5lbs), and really never thought much about it..I watched my packweight with managing my sleeping bag, food, etc...the gun was just "what it weighed"..now I really try to trim every ounce I can I've found you can build a pretty dang good rifle under 9 lbs without much problem...I'd think with a good scope, sling decent components I'd say a smudge under 9lbs is both affordable to build, easy to carry and very shootable.

Ed

Yup as much as I hate to admit it I'm in the same boat now. When I was a young medic in a Scout platoon carrying a 40lb medical bag, atleast 60lb ruck, and a M60 was no big deal. Now a days I pack my Eberlestock up with gear and my PSS, walking stick in hand to train, but now the training days are few between and far shorter than before. Short walks and driving around with my Featherweight is probably far more realistic now.
A medic carrying an M60?

Not in any Branch of the US military or any other I ever worked with.

It's against the Geneva Conventions. But I trained as if I was going to war.

Medics are the last line of defense if the unit gets hit hard. So I learned whatever I could. Shot Mk19s, M60's, 50 cal, whatever I could. Scouts wanted to absorb me into their unit and get my MOS changed. But medics have been historically in demand so that got nixed.

Medics are issued what they called "defensive" weapons like yes M4's and sidearms. I had a HBAR, greasegun, or 1911 I could get from the armory. The M60 was mounted on a Hummer. I could take it anytime I wanted.

But you are right they are not issued M60's or offensive weapons. But you know the old saying "There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Army way."

After reading some of these posts I realize I have been doing it wrong. My rifle is always in my hand, even when I am dragging a deer out of the woods. I guess a twelve pound rifle would be no big deal slung over a shoulder.

Well, I do sling my rifle when I use the binoculars.

Well, I do sling my rifle when I use the binoculars.
LOL I sling my Featherweight when I drag my deer out. But I used to carry a model 686 or model 29 too lol. I may ditch those for a Glock. Yes I know, I'm getting old and lazy lol.

"I may ditch those for a Glock."

May I hijack the thread for a moment? I purchased a Glock in 9mm. When my wife fired it the cases would fall right down beside the gun. When I fired it they would fly several feet away. I like what she was doing but could not duplicate it.:(

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.