What’s the best controlled expansion bullet?

.338 Win Mag ?

No sir! Close though

My wife uses a Win. Model 70 SS, a.338 WM…. Barnes 225 TTSX's @ 2950, 8 lbs. 15 oz. (scoped, loaded, sling), non braked.

I have a semi-custom Win. Model 70, in .375 AI, Barnes 270 LRX's @ 3100 mv (summer chrono'd), 9 lbs 1 oz. (scoped, loaded, sling), non-braked. I need to run some across the chrono for cold weather velocities…..now would be a good time, the next week or so will be chilly!

We started using these in the '90's (me '90, she '95)…..we were supposed to makes hunts in Africa and Alaska.

The method to our madness was, use one hunting rifle exclusively, become intimately comfortable with it……theoretically as good as you can be!

We have some other stuff for practice of fundamentals! memtb

The best I had was the original trophy bonded bear claw, and the Speer grand slam. For a bonded bullet

I have also had good luck with most mono bullets, Cutting edge, Barnes and Hammer.
When you say original bear claw, do you mean the real original made by Jack or the original after Speer bought them.
either one is in my experience the best at doing what they were designed for. Second place is a long ways off.
Then new and improved versions are still great.
Best group one of my guns ever shot was with a 130 trophy bonded bear claw. 5 shots in "one" hole with a 3x9 Leupold. Several witnesses there. Never did it before or after for that matter, but still was cool.
Killed a lot of critters deer, elk, bears… every bear claw I recovered looked exactly the same. Didn't matter if it was 30 yards or 400, or if I hit a shoulder, hind leg or smashed 15" of spine. Caliber doesn't matter either. Killed them with .224-.338

Close range and High velocities i've had accubonds and eldx come apart (at distance no issue bullets perform well) as bad as the ole ballistic tips! Partitions have never failed near or far. Barnes if you don't shoot to let the bullet eat it's to hard for our little deer. Scirocco's seem to me seem to be the good for either scenario, close range or distances they have always done there jobs through the shoulders or behind them bullet performs for me. So what is perfect? Allot goes into this discussion, what are you shooting how fast is your bullet at your common ranges, your ability to keep shot placement etc etc.

IMO under 300 yards for just about anything you can't beat the scirocco, partition or aframes for big game. Scirocco's will have the edge on longer range accuracy, but that what most of my lineup is when the wife and I take the field. I'm a shoulder guy, let it eat. I have not had anyone of these three fail us.

No sir! Close though

My wife uses a Win. Model 70 SS, a.338 WM…. Barnes 225 TTSX's @ 2950, 8 lbs. 15 oz. (scoped, loaded, sling), non braked.

I have a semi-custom Win. Model 70, in .375 AI, Barnes 270 LRX's @ 3100 mv (summer chrono'd), 9 lbs 1 oz. (scoped, loaded, sling), non-braked. I need to run some across the chrono for cold weather velocities…..now would be a good time, the next week or so will be chilly!

We started using these in the '90's (me '90, she '95)…..we were supposed to makes hunts in Africa and Alaska.

The method to our madness was, use one hunting rifle exclusively, become intimately comfortable with it……theoretically as good as you can be!

We have some other stuff for practice of fundamentals! memtb
I tried a 280m AI three years ago after 12 years of using a 300 WSM for almost everything and liked it so much I bought 3 more of them for my elk and mule deer hunts. With good bullets and judicious loads, the performance has been stellar. My go to bullets are the 145 LRX at 3150 FPS and one form or another Hammer at 3250 FPS. I can push them faster, but accuracy has been much better at these velocities. powders they prefer are H4350 and sta bil 6.5 and Rel 19. All of these rifles weigh 8 lbs or less field ready and one is right at 7 lbs. All have leupold 5 HD 3X15 attached with Talley mounts.

I tried a 280m AI three years ago after 12 years of using a 300 WSM for almost everything and liked it so much I bought 3 more of them for my elk and mule deer hunts. With good bullets and judicious loads, the performance has been stellar. My go to bullets are the 145 LRX at 3150 FPS and one form or another Hammer at 3250 FPS. I can push them faster, but accuracy has been much better at these velocities. powders they prefer are H4350 and sta bil 6.5 and Rel 19. All of these rifles weigh 8 lbs or less field ready and one is right at 7 lbs. All have leupold 5 HD 3X15 attached with Talley mounts.

I've always been intrigued by the 280 AI, and have thought that it would be a great cartridge for deer sized game also good for elk/moose ect. with good bullets.

Brass though incorrect head-stamp would be readily available…..the other component availability would be no different than anything else!

If we weren't so old and already commented to our present cartridges….I might even consider the 280 AI. memtb

I've always been intrigued by the 280 AI, and have thought that it would be a great cartridge for deer sized game also good for elk/moose ect. with good bullets.

Brass though incorrect head-stamp would be readily available…..the other component availability would be no different than anything else!

If we weren't so old and already commented to our present cartridges….I might even consider the 280 AI. memtb
At first i fireformed 280 remington and then federal brass and then went to nosler and finally found some Peterson (expensive). Once I got ahold of Peterson brass, I don't think I'll ever go back to the others!!!

When I say "best" I'm talking about reliable and consistent performance. Accurate when hand loaded, with enough velocity to expand at "hunting" distances. Let me know your bullet and cartridge of choice. Talking all western game here.
Cheers
Do you really expect there to be a consensus among the masses here about one bullet that will do everything you want and whatever situation you're in?

Do you really expect there to be a consensus among the masses here about one bullet that will do everything you want and whatever situation you're in?

I'm pretty certain that he doesn't…..or shouldn't! 😁
Maybe he'll make a spreadsheet, and see what gets the most votes! 🤔 memtb

Last edited:
At first i fireformed 280 remington and then federal brass and then went to nosler and finally found some Peterson (expensive). Once I got ahold of Peterson brass, I don't think I'll ever go back to the others!!!

New, properly head stamped brass would be sweet. But, as a "hoarder" I have a bunch of '06 brass that could be used in a pinch! memtb

The list of what I've used over the years with good results.
  • Rem core-lokt
  • Barnes tsx, and the blue ones
  • Speer hotcor, flat base and BT, GrandSlam
  • Nosler AB, BT, partition
  • Hornady interlock
  • Sierra standard ones.

Seems to me that the nosler AB has the most votes on here, with good accuracy and performance. Haven't heard anyone yet say, "absolutely don't use the accubond"

I shoot 140 Accubonds in a 270. Can get them up to 3000 fps and they shoot half inch if I do my part. As good as a partition and more accurate.
I have the 130g as well and they don't shoot as well, yet. I loaded to same cbto as 140.

When you say original bear claw, do you mean the real original made by Jack or the original after Speer bought them.
either one is in my experience the best at doing what they were designed for. Second place is a long ways off.
Then new and improved versions are still great.
Best group one of my guns ever shot was with a 130 trophy bonded bear claw. 5 shots in "one" hole with a 3x9 Leupold. Several witnesses there. Never did it before or after for that matter, but still was cool.
Killed a lot of critters deer, elk, bears… every bear claw I recovered looked exactly the same. Didn't matter if it was 30 yards or 400, or if I hit a shoulder, hind leg or smashed 15" of spine. Caliber doesn't matter either. Killed them with .224-.338
the orginal ones ..before Speer...but they were still very good after--I'll add in Swift A frames were really good too. I had good luck with Grand slams too--but not quite as accurate. Another super tough bonded bullet from years past were ASquare dead tough bullets...really good--just limited caliber choices.