What’s the deal with 257 Roberts

Hornady long tapered expander or Redding long tapered expander works very easily on necking up 6 Rem brass. Lee sizing lube in the toothpaste type container works fantastic, but any lube will work. It does help to put a very heavy chamfer on the inside of the case neck, which helps the expander to enter the neck. Go slow and easy.

Last edited:
Two comments:
1. If you hunt Africa, your headstamps must match the rifle or you risk having your ammo confiscated.
2. I get tired of hearing how terrible Nosler brass is; I think Norma makes it (I can tell you the AMP codes for Nosler .338 Lapua is the same as Norma). My primer pockets stay tight and the weight variation is less than Lapua. Winchester brass is about as soft as it comes, unless it has changed. I use it .30-06 but no way is it equal to Nosler.

Two comments:
1. If you hunt Africa, your headstamps must match the rifle or you risk having your ammo confiscated.
2. I get tired of hearing how terrible Nosler brass is; I think Norma makes it (I can tell you the AMP codes for Nosler .338 Lapua is the same as Norma). My primer pockets stay tight and the weight variation is less than Lapua. Winchester brass is about as soft as it comes, unless it has changed. I use it .30-06 but no way is it equal to Nosler.
Nosler brass has worked great for me. I've used it in a couple of cartridges, one small, 243, one large, 28 Nosler, and they have performed flawlessly. I'm on my third load with the 243, and it is an absolute tack driver. The Nosler has taken game to a smidge under 1000 yards, 980 to be exact. On my third load with it as well, no complications, primers still super tight. I'm loaded fairly heavy in the 243, and above moderate in the 28. When I wear this brass out, I'll buy more if that's what's available, been looking for Federal 215M's for three years, so I know you all know what I mean. I still have plenty to hunt with, but I don't do much extra shooting with them right now.

Two comments:
I went to Namibia with my 375 Weatherby…barrel says 375H&H, cases say 375H&H but it ain't no 375H&H, never got questioned even in the examination although it was obvious the cases were fatter.
Your assumption regarding Winchester brass being soft is far from my experience with it, but I have only ever used Blue/White packets, and the new Red/White packs I have are unfired, but I will be running them over the hardness tester when my Dad uses them next…

Cheers.

I recently rebarreled my roberts with a 20 inch shilen number 2 barrel. And shooting 92 hammer and new 95 hammer hht. Love it and recently killed a hog with it.

I have looked around for new good quality brass. Only thing I can find is nosler and don't know how good it.

I currently have some nosler,WW, and RP.

So I have the same question. Is nosler good or anyway to resize better brass
Even with Nosler Premium I always size, trim and deburr them they are not all the same. Just good fundamental practice when looking to eliminate problems.

I'll look in my stash - might have a couple of hundred 7X57 (new) that I can share with you. not sure what brand tho. I'll be back home next week to check

It's not a mainstream cartridge so not a lot of brass makers. And that nosler stuff, probably ok but pricey yes. I bought 7RM brass couple years ago because I couldn't find anything else, but when Peterson became available shortly after I bought 50 of them for about the same price. Haven't touched the Nosler yet. I've read some discussions about Nosler brass having soft case heads. I am shooting it in my 280Rem and it seems fine. I have mostly Remington brass for the 257R and some Winchester.
Just don't load them hot as fire and you will be ok. I've cycled thru a ton of there brass and have come to like it actually. I check against there load data page and usually find a very accurate load and let the bullet do the work. I have pieces I've pitched do to imperfections but that is to be expected to a point. I have not thrown any brass away as of yet with them, but they are pricey but so is the game we play. See ya at the range or in the field

Nosler brass has worked great for me. I've used it in a couple of cartridges, one small, 243, one large, 28 Nosler, and they have performed flawlessly. I'm on my third load with the 243, and it is an absolute tack driver. The Nosler has taken game to a smidge under 1000 yards, 980 to be exact. On my third load with it as well, no complications, primers still super tight. I'm loaded fairly heavy in the 243, and above moderate in the 28. When I wear this brass out, I'll buy more if that's what's available, been looking for Federal 215M's for three years, so I know you all know what I mean. I still have plenty to hunt with, but I don't do much extra shooting with them right now.
December was a great month for me found four sleeves of GM215M and six pounds of Reloder 26 the stuff is out there you gotta dig and watch

December was a great month for me found four sleeves of GM215M and six pounds of Reloder 26 the stuff is out there you gotta dig and watch
Congratulations!!! I didn't think anyone would ever find RL 26 again. I still have 800 Fed 215M's so I'm not in emergency mode, but I sure would like to have another 1000 on hand. I could start shooting more lol.