.257 Roberts Specs

liltank

Settled on .257 Roberts for a starter rifle for my boy. Probably going to run some 75 to 100 grain bullets. It will be put on a Model 7 action. I just want opinions on barrel contour, length, and any little hints to a good shooter. No other caliber opinions please. It's a classic cartridge and want to build one for the boy. Thinking light loads for the little guy. Thanks!

Tank

Good choice. I noticed that the water capacity of the 257 is 56 g., very similar to the 243 Win at 54 g. water. So these are virtually identical cartridges and the 243 is the universal starter rifle after the 22 long rifle. Also the 257 is usually in a long action...you can get the long bullets in the magazine.

I would think a # 1 barrel at 20 or 21 inches would do the trick...not to heavy to carry around.
long enough to get enough velocity to reach out a ways.

I've always been a fan of the quarter incher anyways. If only for their versatility.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.