What’s the deal with 257 Roberts

Interested in the steps to shrink the 8x57 to 257 roberts, found some 8mm but none of the others. I have tools to turn inside and outside necks. I have some small number of unfired 257 cases but looking to get more and there really are not any available.
I just lube inside & outside of the neck, and the body and run them through a full length sizing die.
Trim afterwards.

Anyone in the Rutland VT area Black Dog gun shop has many boxes of loaded ammo.
I just made 100 new loads, half for my nephew. He bought the new Nosler brass and I supplied the rest plus labor.
What ammo do they have? Mainly curious because I'm on the other Coast.

I just lube inside & outside of the neck, and the body and run them through a full length sizing die.
Trim afterwards.
Thanks, I want sure if there were extra steps since it's 8mm down to 25. I've done 308 to 7mm08 and 7mmRm to 257wby. Maybe I'll buy the 8mm stuff and size them down. How much trimming do they need? 8mm is already longer than 257R.

Thanks, I want sure if there were extra steps since it's 8mm down to 25. I've done 308 to 7mm08 and 7mmRm to 257wby. Maybe I'll buy the 8mm stuff and size them down. How much trimming do they need? 8mm is already longer than 257R.
I'm not quite sure. Fair bit i reckon.
I just use a Lee case length gauge.

We have a great problem here in Oz getting brass in any kind of numbers. I have barreled several 7 x 57 Ai's and 257AI and we just use what brass we can find, 7 x 57 Selliot and Belliot, 7x57 Kynoch, even 8x57 rem brass. For my last 257AI open gun I used weight batched Hornady 275 Rigby brass. I don't think I have ever seen any 257 roberts loaded ammo or brass anywhere over here

Realizing that a lot of the comments revolve around nostalgia, there really isn't an answer for our desiring .257 Roberts brass except to make it. But it takes time and energy to create cases from other similar cases.

One of the real reasons that the .257 Roberts has fallen by the wayside, is the lack of rifles being chambered for the cartridge and then being purchased by the public in very large numbers. Rifle manufacturers aren't up for wasting resources making rifles for nearly obsolete cartridges which lack support from the brass manufacturers. Awful logic, I know.:(

But, for those of us who enjoy other .25 caliber cartridges, there is a resolution, the .25 Creedmoor.

Excellent brass is available, most even reasonably priced based on current conditions and the performance is actually better than the .257 Roberts and in a short action cartridge. I know, the head stamp doesn't say '.257 Roberts'. But when you want to shoot a moderately powerful .25 caliber cartridge with convenience and affordability, this is one of your choices.

For those still interested in DIY projects, try the .257 (25) Souper from always available .243 Win. or the .260 Rem. My current fun project is the 6 GT necked up for the .25 caliber bullets.;)

No matter the choice, enjoy the shooting!

:)

My first rifle was a Ruger M77 MKIi in 257 Roberts. Never could get it to shoot small enough later in life so it got a new barrel and ackley-ized.

Remington made a CDL special edition in 257 bob that is a nice looking gun here within the last few years it seems.

I have been hunting 257 Roberts brass for years and it has always been hit or miss, never plentiful.

True, but personally I just HATE not having the proper HeadStamps
An alternative...
1704715113800.png

https://www.qual-cart.com/25 cal.htm

Paul Bike makes a very simple set of form dies. Get a headspace gauge, put it in your press, and start sizing down any 270 Win or 30/06 brass. The neck will be long, and the shoulder angle will be 30*. Final sizing will be in your Roberts FL sizer, and you will have to neck turn.

tools required:
257 Roberts headspace gauge, new brass, or brass fired in your chamber, used to set the length
case length trimmer-I use an RCBS Trim Pro with an adjustable speed 1/2" drill attached to the spindle which eats long necks fast
Neck turner-K&M is about as idiot-proof as it gets
Some way to measure the thickness of the case neck:

If you use Lapua 30/06 brass, you will find that the brass is absolutely the toughest you have ever used. Pressures that you never could before approach are ho-hum with the Lapua brass, making the other brands appear to be trash.

Having something is better than having nothing, but rechambering to 25/06 maybe an eventual option....wait, no brass for that either.

Last edited: