What’s the deal with 257 Roberts

In these situations it's demand for that product. Sure you can ask on any of the shooting/reloading forums and get a number of folks crying about not finding any at all. But the truth is that the manufacturers look at the largest number of sales and those cases which sell out the fastest. It's all about profit, not trying to keep the customers satisfied.

The .257 Roberts has been slipping down the list of favorite cases for several decades and the manufactures have chosen to ignore it because of the lack of numbers. No numbers in very large amounts, no cases. Ask yourself when was the last time you saw a new rifle chambered for the .257 Roberts?

I've always thought that the .257 Roberts is a superb case but I don't buy enough to keep it near the top of the list. So I convert other cases when I need the 'ole Bob. You can whine all you want about not finding proper head stamped brass but if you want to shoot, start by converting some high quality brass.

:)

Last edited:
Being in Australia, having unusual or even unpopular cases means that you pay a premium and order what you need, then wait MONTHS for it to arrive. Cases that are readily available in the US, like the 264WM, are impossible to get here, no one brings them in, so I just make them from 7RM brass and live with it. Put my name on some in 2019, Friday week ago was notified they arrived…I don't shoot anymore.

Cheers.

Being in Australia, having unusual or even unpopular cases means that you pay a premium and order what you need, then wait MONTHS for it to arrive. Cases that are readily available in the US, like the 264WM, are impossible to get here, no one brings them in, so I just make them from 7RM brass and live with it. Put my name on some in 2019, Friday week ago was notified they arrived…I don't shoot anymore.

Cheers.
I probably have 2 or 3 boxes of 264 new Herters brass if you want them. Question is, can I legally send them to you through the post office?

nosler brass is fine. It's overpriced for what it is, but it's not bad. My biggest complaints about it is that it's often lapua price, Winchester quality. Winchester brass is also fine and dandy, but it's priced appropriately. That's my experience with it for 338 lapua, 30-06, and 30-378 weatherby at least. Your mileage may vary. If it's all that's available you won't be disappointed in the brass I don't think, just the price.

I probably have 2 or 3 boxes of 264 new Herters brass if you want them. Question is, can I legally send them to you through the post office?
Thanks for the offer, but I will graciously decline. I have no need for them, have been banned from shooting for another 8 years now by our stupid laws here and a divorce.

Cheers.

In these situations it's demand for that product. Sure you can ask on any of the shooting/reloading forums and get a number of folks crying about not finding any at all. But the truth is that the manufacturers look at the largest number of sales and those cases which sell out the fastest. It's all about profit, not trying to keep the customers satisfied.

The .257 Roberts has been slipping down the list of favorite cases for several decades and the manufactures have chosen to ignore it because of the lack of numbers. No numbers in very large amounts, no cases. Ask yourself when was the last time you saw a new rifle chambered for the .257 Roberts?

I've always thought that the .257 Roberts is a superb case but I don't buy enough to keep it near the top of the list. So I convert other cases when I need the 'ole Bob. You can whine all you want about not finding proper head stamped brass but if you want to shoot, start by converting some high quality brass.

:)
I think Ruger released a 77 in 257 Roberts about 5 years ago. Special run of them.
Lipsey's will have a run of Ruger #1s in 257 Roberts every now & then.

Thought I remembered Winchester having a Model 70 in 257 Roberts a few years back also.

Shame really that the interest is declining in the Roberts. It is truly a good do it all cartridge.

75gr VMAX, Sierra HP for small varmints.
90gr BlitzKings for coyotes out to 400+ yards.
115gr Berger VLD, and Nosler Ballistic Tips bring deer to a stop like nobody's business.

Barrel a 257 Roberts up with a 1:7.5 twist and it has enough volume to get the new heavy, high BC bullets out there.

I think Ruger released a 77 in 257 Roberts about 5 years ago. Special run of them.
Lipsey's will have a run of Ruger #1s in 257 Roberts every now & then.

Thought I remembered Winchester having a Model 70 in 257 Roberts a few years back also.

Shame really that the interest is declining in the Roberts. It is truly a good do it all cartridge.

75gr VMAX, Sierra HP for small varmints.
90gr BlitzKings for coyotes out to 400+ yards.
115gr Berger VLD, and Nosler Ballistic Tips bring deer to a stop like nobody's business.

Barrel a 257 Roberts up with a 1:7.5 twist and it has enough volume to get the new heavy, high BC bullets out there.
In 2003, I bought a Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts. I bought it because I was sick of hearing how accurate the "Hawkeyes" were. I had bought a Ruger 77 Liberty in 257 Roberts. It shot terrible, but I surely wish I had that rifle back. At that time, I knew nothing of how to make the 77 shoot, and now I have 5 Hawkeyes, and they all shoot sub-moa easily. So, back to the 257 roberts I bought. I threw a scope on it, sighted it in, and thought to myself, here we go again with another epic fail of a 77. First 3 shot group was about 7/8". I thought BS. That group was a fluke, so I shot another 3 shot group. 3/4". Couldn't believe it, so I thought ok. We'll see what you're capable of. I took it to Jacobsens Gunshop. Had him do a recrown and a Timney trigger. When I got it back, I floated the barrel, pillar bedded the stock, and glass bedded the action. It'll put 5 98 grain hammers into a quarter inch every time, if my mind is right. I call it my old man's gun, cause the older I get, the more I reach for it cause it's light, accurate, capable, and virtually no recoil to speak of.

In 2003, I bought a Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts. I bought it because I was sick of hearing how accurate the "Hawkeyes" were. I had bought a Ruger 77 Liberty in 257 Roberts. It shot terrible, but I surely wish I had that rifle back. At that time, I knew nothing of how to make the 77 shoot, and now I have 5 Hawkeyes, and they all shoot sub-moa easily. So, back to the 257 roberts I bought. I threw a scope on it, sighted it in, and thought to myself, here we go again with another epic fail of a 77. First 3 shot group was about 7/8". I thought BS. That group was a fluke, so I shot another 3 shot group. 3/4". Couldn't believe it, so I thought ok. We'll see what you're capable of. I took it to Jacobsens Gunshop. Had him do a recrown and a Timney trigger. When I got it back, I floated the barrel, pillar bedded the stock, and glass bedded the action. It'll put 5 98 grain hammers into a quarter inch every time, if my mind is right. I call it my old man's gun, cause the older I get, the more I reach for it cause it's light, accurate, capable, and virtually no recoil to speak of.
I just ordered some of those 98 gr hammers for my wife's ruger m77 mkll. Would you want to share a recipe? Thanks

I just ordered some of those 98 gr hammers for my wife's ruger m77 mkll. Would you want to share a recipe? Thanks
Here's my load.
44.0 grains of A4350
OAL of 2.760
W/W case and Fed 210M primer
Muzzle velocity of 3050 fps
SD of 14.5
Shot group of 1 1/4" at 200 yards.

I make mine from 7mm & 8mm Mauser brass.
Simple neck down.
I've spent the money on Nosler brass before. Not worth the extra cost to me.
I get same/better results from PPU (PVRI Partizan) brass.
Interested in the steps to shrink the 8x57 to 257 roberts, found some 8mm but none of the others. I have tools to turn inside and outside necks. I have some small number of unfired 257 cases but looking to get more and there really are not any available.

I came across a Robert's 8 years ago always wanted one . I searched for a year finally found some here and there I bought anything I could find such a shame it's a great caliber.

Anyone in the Rutland VT area Black Dog gun shop has many boxes of loaded ammo.
I just made 100 new loads, half for my nephew. He bought the new Nosler brass and I supplied the rest plus labor.