ELD-M/X what’s the difference?

Kingsgr8

Can anyone tell me or point me in the direction as to what the difference is between the building of these two types of bullets? And why the "M" hollow point is not suitable for hunting. TIA.

The x is supposed to have a thicker copper jacket with a larger cavity below the plastic tip than the m does. The x is also supposed to have some what of a shank/swedge inside of the copper jacket that helps hold the lead core to the jacket upon expansion. Some folks have cut/split the x down the middle and found that the shank/swedge inside is very minute. I have used the old Hornady sst, which is an older version similar to the x with less b.c. It was a lightning fast killer. Many instant kills with the old sst.

The x is supposed to have a thicker copper jacket with a larger cavity below the plastic tip than the m does. The x is also supposed to have some what of a shank/swedge inside of the copper jacket that helps hold the lead core to the jacket upon expansion. Some folks have cut/split the x down the middle and found that the shank/swedge inside is very minute. I have used the old Hornady sst, which is an older version similar to the x with less b.c. It was a lightning fast killer. Many instant kills with the old sst.
Thank you - great information!

After seeing cross sections of each bullet, the x has a thinner jacket in front the bearing surface to aid in expansion, and it does appear to have a "bonding" ring to hold the lead into the lower half of bullet shank.

After seeing cross sections of each bullet, the x has a thinner jacket in front the bearing surface to aid in expansion, and it does appear to have a "bonding" ring to hold the lead into the lower half of bullet shank.
Looked at pictures on the net. The bonding ring is rather scan. Would have missed it had there not been an arrow pointing to it.

I've seen identical performance from both X and M. At high velocity impacts very shallow explosive wounds with no exit. Poor performance in my opinion. Below 2600 FPS I see good results. Solid expansion solid penetration down 2000 fps. From 2000 to 1700 fps expansion is good enough and lots of penetration. These results are with 162 x and m started at 3190 fps as well as 208 and 212 started at +-3300 fps.

pictured is an ENTRANCE wound on a 156lb 8 point cull. Bullet did not exit or break the far shoulder on a broadside shot. High shoulder hit impact velocity 2871fps 162eldx. Broke the entrance shoulder and the deer ran ~150 yards with no blood trail this was a really hard tracking job due to no blood trail The field was full of deer just breaking dawn and I had no idea where he ran I came back a few hours later and found it after an hour of looking
2C5B95B1-9EE2-41A5-8947-7855AB1E291B.jpeg

The truth is that the ELD-X and ELD-M are not the best choice for high M.V. loads at ranges under 400 yards and somewhat further. High B.C. and best accuracy is not what I prize most in my hunting loads. instead, I want a bullet that will hold together at ranges near to as far as I'm willing to shot under the best of conditions (600 yards, the limit of my practice).

That means I use Barnes TTSX and LRX, Nosler AccuBond and Partition, Swift A-Frame and Scirocco II and North Fork SS, HP and FP (NF bullets are no longer available, but I have a lifetime supply).

The big hole is in the other exit 212 ELD-X 300wm 2960 shot elk at about 150 yards. I've shot this load on two Elk now and works great

Attachments

• 64B5E5CA-7081-49D3-A6A0-300964F81668.jpeg
    64B5E5CA-7081-49D3-A6A0-300964F81668.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 196
  • 730768A3-2845-4371-ABA1-904A44C74A54.jpeg
    730768A3-2845-4371-ABA1-904A44C74A54.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
  • C710BB10-043F-4B2A-B296-D8DAA349F356.jpeg
    C710BB10-043F-4B2A-B296-D8DAA349F356.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:
One should avoid using all cup and core non-bonded bullets for medium game when the impact velocity is above about 2900-3000 fps.

With very few exceptions, they all tend to explosively disassemble at the higher velocities. Below about 2850 fps, the good ones expand and penetrate with excellent results.

I've seen identical performance from both X and M. At high velocity impacts very shallow explosive wounds with no exit. Poor performance in my opinion. Below 2600 FPS I see good results. Solid expansion solid penetration down 2000 fps. From 2000 to 1700 fps expansion is good enough and lots of penetration. These results are with 162 x and m started at 3190 fps as well as 208 and 212 started at +-3300 fps.

pictured is an ENTRANCE wound on a 156lb 8 point cull. Bullet did not exit or break the far shoulder on a broadside shot. High shoulder hit impact velocity 2871fps 162eldx. Broke the entrance shoulder and the deer ran ~150 yards with no blood trail this was a really hard tracking job due to no blood trail The field was full of deer just breaking dawn and I had no idea where he ran I came back a few hours later and found it after an hour of looking View attachment 173797
I had exact performance results last year on 2 deer. Neither had an exit, struck soft tissue on both, neither left blood trail. One at 75 yds the other at 200yds. This was out of a 6.5 creedmoor. I have since switched to 140 gr sierra bts. Aint looked back.

I hunt big game with a bow but shot 7 wolves and many coyotes with a 147 eld M from 50 yards to 980. Had 1 yote get a bit messed up but the rest were all fur friendly and DRT. My neighbor loves the 143 x and had killed 9 elk with a 143 in a creedmoor. 100-500 yards. IMHO, the M is the same as the AMAX and that bullet was used a lot, same as the berger and sierra SMK, for hunting. In the end the x is supposed to expand at a lower velocity and hold together a bit better but the difference seems pretty minimal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts