ELD-X opinion

TXAoudadKlr

I have been using the 143gr ELD-X Hornady Precision hunter ammunition out of my Gap-10 in 6.5 creedmoore for the last 8 months. In that time that combination has racked up 9 kills across 4 species different species, the biggest of which was a 305lb aoudad ram taken by my cousin. A majority were DRT but I did have a doe travel ~15 yards but that was the furthest any of them traveled. My opinion for the 143gr is, it's a great LR bullet. For me, it has shown that it performs better at longer distances which also translated to it being a tad soft on larger game at closer ranges but that was expected given its designed purpose. Which left me scratching my head when guys complained about its performance characteristics on close shots.

What's everybody's opinion on the other offerings? Mine is purely based on the 143 grainer which is a winner for me.

Similar experience for me so far with the 143 ELD-X. Will be trying the 285 gr ELD-M this upcoming season. Looking forward to getting my hands on the 147 ELD-M for testing.

The only thing stopping me from switching over from my 200gr Accubond load to the 212 is my concern with the ultra high speed impact velocity my 300AX produces inside 250 yards. I know the accubonds can take it. I'm sure the 212 would shine 400 yards and on.

I've been loading the 143gr in my 260 at about 2750fps. It's an excellent bullet that kills well. That being said, it is soft. My brother used the gun to take a caribou on the north slope of Alaska and at 300yds we got a pass through, but I'm still picking jacket pieces out of the meat. I think it's ideal for extended distances, but won't be using that bullet in the deer woods where shots are always inside 150yds. The same gun took a white tail doe at approx 75yds, full pass through and surprisingly minimal meat damage thanks to a rib/lung shot. So, for long range, yes, close range only, definitely no.

I've been loading the 143gr in my 260 at about 2750fps. It's an excellent bullet that kills well. That being said, it is soft. My brother used the gun to take a caribou on the north slope of Alaska and at 300yds we got a pass through, but I'm still picking jacket pieces out of the meat. I think it's ideal for extended distances, but won't be using that bullet in the deer woods where shots are always inside 150yds. The same gun took a white tail doe at approx 75yds, full pass through and surprisingly minimal meat damage thanks to a rib/lung shot. So, for long range, yes, close range only, definitely no.

The doe I killed was at 115 yards. Similar shot hit her in the crease damage wasn't bad, entry side lung had a caliber er size hole in it exit side the lung was shredded, exit was a little bigger than a quarter.

To me that sounds like good performance for close range. I've had many Bergers not exit at 30-50 yds on whitetail from a tree stand. But they don't go far, maybe run 20 yds as the insides are jelly. I think I should try some ELD-X in my 280AI.

I've recovered 3 of these bullets. One was basically what was left of the jacket from the aoudad my cousin took. The bullets I recovered from the 180lb boar and the aoudad I took last season ~50 and 90 yards weighted around 100grains.

180 7mm RM 2860fps. Cow Elk 150yds. Elk staggered in a circle for about 5 seconds then tipped to over. Bullet entered right side and empty jacket was found under hide on left leg. Close shot, zero lead in jacket.

The only thing stopping me from switching over from my 200gr Accubond load to the 212 is my concern with the ultra high speed impact velocity my 300AX produces inside 250 yards. I know the accubonds can take it. I'm sure the 212 would shine 400 yards and on.

Put a whole in them at 250- and they are dead. People have shot things with bullets a lot less worse then what we have now a days . Hit them where they are supposed to be hit and they die. If you are worried about high bc bullets killing close then maybe pick a different bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts