ELD X

I found the 285 to shoot better in both of my rifles, a 9 twist and an 8 twist.
I can tell you that the 300 grain scenar is not ideal either. The 300 grain Berger is the consensus long range bullet in the bigger 338s.

I shot a cow elk at a bit over 500 with a 230 eldx from my 338L worked great I'd do it again.

I prefer sub 250s in my 338L but I don't have a 30" barrel either.

I shot a cow elk at a bit over 500 with a 230 eldx from my 338L worked great I'd do it again.

I prefer sub 250s in my 338L but I don't have a 30" barrel either.
I have only 1 33cal (338lm 24"), but haven't loaded any of the 230 or 270 edl-x's yet. Barrel had less than 30 rounds down the pipe.

I load the 230 x in a 338 wm. I push those in the mid 2800 for speed. I've shot whitetail from 100'ish to about 325. It is very explosive. Shot a buck quartering away at about 150 and got no exit. That deer only went about 30 feet so it wasn't hard to find. I've only lost 1 animal that I shot with it. Bad placement is still bad placement, I should have waited for a better shot. The meat damage on a shoulder shot is incredible. You will lose a quarter and on some I've lost most of both front shoulders. This is actually why I've decided to move away from them. I've got 210 Ttsx on the shelf to work up a new load with. The eldx bullets fly great, group wonderfully, and it does damage to get quick kills.

Last edited:
I've never used eldx on game. I use the same exact load for match use and hunting. 6.5cm 140eldm handloads. Killed 2 auodad ewes, 1 mature ram (30.5") and too many wt deer and pigs to count. All of this is with an 18" barrel with velocity at 2550 fps. The furthest I've had anything run was about 12-15 yards. Most drop instantly. There's a lot of folks who will say the eldms are not good for game, but I personally have never lost a single animal with them.