ELD X

goblbustr

Looking for some advice. Going to start Loading for my 338 lapua mag I just had built. Was looking at the hornaday e l d x , but the heaviest I can get it in is 270 grain. With the research I've done my plan was to go a three hundred grain. Have any of you used the 270gr. e l d x , and if so , are you satisfied with its performance at longer ranges. Thousand yards and less at this point.

I would offer the advanced search feature to find tons of information about bullet BC and different performance etc. What performance at what distance are you wanting to know about? Accuracy, Terminal Performance, will help others give the information you really are looking for. If you are set on the ELDX just shoot it and if it performs to your expectations that is as heavy as you can go.

I use the ELD-M in my Lapuas (as well as a 300 Berger), but never shot the ELD-X. However, in one of my RUMs I developed a super accurate load with ELD-M 225s, then switched to an ELD-X for hunting. Initially, I thought the two bullets were identical except for a thicker jacket on the X. Once I loaded them, I found out this is not true; the ogive location is different. I have shot three animals now with the 220 gr X in my RUM. First two dropped on the spot (antelope and a deer). The third one, a deer, ran about 20 yards but didn't leave a drop of blood. Ranges were 310 to the antelope, 150 to a deer (DRT) and 100 to the deer that ran 20 yards. All three animals had lungs that were pulverized. No exits. No appreciable bullet recovery.

Reason for my long winded story: I am disillusioned with the X - performed as I would have expected an ELD-M to perform. A few years ago I shot an antelope with an Edge; bullet was 300 Berger and range was about 130 yards. Bullet left a 2" exit wound. Much better performance.

Thanks. I was just curious as to the velocity. Seems like it would be a good choice of bullet. We're any of the elk older bulls?

Give us some information on the gun, Barrel length, twist rate, max mag length, or single feed? Intended purpose the gun and distance you need the bullet to work at.

Give us some information on the gun, Barrel length, twist rate, max mag length, or single feed? Intended purpose the gun and distance you need the bullet to work at.
Sorry been away for a while. Barrel length is 30 inches, twist 1-10, max mag length 4" (I Think), hunting WT Deer - Elk

I have edl-x in many calibers for many cartridges. 24cal/90gr, 27cal/145gr, 200/212/220gr 30cal and 230, 270gr for 338lm. I haven't load developed any yet, so no performance/accuracy info yet.

I have used the eldm one time each on a muley, coues, and speedgoat. All 3 the bullet fragged big time ruining lots of meat. 147 6.5. I wouldn't use it on a bull elk personally. Maybe if I had a 285 grain.....

I have used the eldm one time each on a muley, coues, and speedgoat. All 3 the bullet fragged big time ruining lots of meat. 147 6.5. I wouldn't use it on a bull elk personally. Maybe if I had a 285 grain.....
Only in 230 and 270 for edl-x