Votes: 27 9.6%
  • 6.5mm/.264

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • 7mm/.284

Votes: 74 26.3%
  • 30 cal.

Votes: 78 27.8%

• Total voters
I live in East Tennessee I shot two this year with a 6.5CM and it done very well. But me and my best bud just built us some 6mm SLR we gonna give the 105 VLDs a whirl.

I have several calibers I use on whitetail based upon my anticipated shot. If I'm still hunting in wooded terrain and anticipate relatively close shots I would favor a 375 H&H shooting off hand. If I was sitting in an open field where I anticipated shots less than 300 yards I'd opt for 22-250. If I'm sitting in an open field with shots out to 1000 and beyond I'd use my 338 Lupua.

I live in East Tennessee so farthest realistic shot here is probably 300-350 yards for me where I hunt. My buddy has been using 95 grain Berger VLD with great success. So we opted 6mm with fast twist barrels to shoot the heavies. I'm fairly inexperienced as far as hunting goes. I've shot deer but I wouldn't call my self an expert by any means. I think it is interesting to know what calibers everyone is using. Deer sizes are different all over the country and so are ranges.

I like the 257 WBY. It offers the best combination of range and knock down power. I have taken whitetail, mule deer, elk (within 250 yds), and ferrel hogs with mine.

The 257 wby and Robert's seem very popular. I'm not speaking from experience just what I see online but the .257 bullet selection is slim to none that's what kinda pushes me away from the 25 calibers. Maybe you 25 shooters can cime in on that aspect as far as bullet selection goes.

The 257 wby and Robert's seem very popular. I'm not speaking from experience just what I see online but the .257 bullet selection is slim to none that's what kinda pushes me away from the 25 calibers. Maybe you 25 shooters can cime in on that aspect as far as bullet selection goes.
.25-06 AI pushing a Berger 115 VLD at around 3,350-3,400 FPS is some bad bad medicine for whitetails inside of 600 yards. Flat-shooting, too! Also pretty nasty for coyotes and varmints.

.308 Winny!
.308 Win is a classic whitetail cartridge. One of my personal favorites. I honestly don't know if (here in the south) it gets anymore classic deer hunter than .243, .30-30, .308, .270, and .30-06. Any one or several (possibly multiples) of those 5 cartridges can still be found at all times in a deer camp here in Alabama.

But my personal all-time favorite is 7mmRM. Flat-shooting, hits hard, reaches way out there, high BC bullets, versatile, moderate recoil...What's not to love?

When my dad hunted...last deer he shot was in the early 90's. The bullets for 25-06 where junk. He was always complaining about having to track down the deer or hog he just shot.

While my 270 was like a lightning strike every time I shot a deer or hog...

After reading an article by Ross Seyfried in Guns and Ammo many years ago, I ordered a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55. It has done the trick time and again. Nice to look at, friendly to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.