Took some borescope pics

Soak a patch with pb blaster or one of the other reputable penetrating oils and let it sit in the throat for thirty minutes or so before doing the brush thing. It'll migrate under the carbon and allow it to release. Doesn't look to me like that carbon ring is going to do anything detrimental at this point but if allowed to keep building over the life of the rifle, it'll probably cause an issue at some point.
Thoughts on Kroil for this use??

IMG_2042.jpeg
Two rounds of Kroil got me here. At the bottom of the pic you can see the bronze brush mark. I'm not sure I see the value getting it better than it was originally.

View attachment 544773Two rounds of Kroil got me here. At the bottom of the pic you can see the bronze brush mark. I'm not sure I see the value getting it better than it was originally.
The benefit of complete removal is the lack of "tooth" for the new carbon to adhere to. That small amount will produce turbulence and a rough spot for new carbon to attach.

As others have stated, sometimes a shadow looks like a carbon ring. The "tell" in your photo is you can see an interruption in the ring.

There are 2 people that has helped me with managing carbon.Vince Mule on this site and a guy on youtube named Keith ????Can't remember.

Keith Glasscock Pro F-Class shooter

Last edited:
I sure wish I knew what is in Free All spray as I would by just that additive as it really melts carbon.You still have to scrub but it works big time.Big improvement over the stuff I was using.
What about Carbon Tetrachloride? I never hear about anyone using this or it's derivatives. I think that is the active ingredient in 'Carbon Off' - used mostly in kitchens, etc.

What about Carbon Tetrachloride? I never hear about anyone using this or it's derivatives. I think that is the active ingredient in 'Carbon Off' - used mostly in kitchens, etc.
I'll check on it BigDon.Always looking for a better way.
Edit to add:Carbon Tetrachloride is listed on CDC website as a Toxic Substance.Up until 1970's it was used in home products but linked to several cancers.Now it is only used in the industrial settings where it can be contained and monitored.
Carbon Tet is out buddy!Think of another as there has to be a better carbon solvent.

Last edited: