Took the Allen Mags out to play-Some of Kirby's creations

Re: Took the Allen Mags out to play-Some of Kirby\'s creations

I might have missed it but why did you change barrels? Just curious. Those rifle are absolutely beautiful. Sounds like a good time. Thanks for posting

Don't mean to step on ss7mm toes here but the new barrel is an attempt to see if we can get even more out of the 200 gr ULD RBBT which is based on the J-4 jacket.

Richard made some heavier jacketed bullets but they did not compete with the J-4s accuracy wise in the Lilja barrels which were all 3 groove barrels.

Mike Rock got ahold of me and said his 5R barrel would offer us more velocity potential and be easier on the thin jacketed bullets as well so we gave her a whirl.

Basically this is an experimental test just to see if we can get more out of the 7mm AM and these bullets. With the Lilja 1-7 3 groove we were limited to about 3250 fps max in velocity. With the Rock 5R in a 1-8 twist we want to see what she will do.

I have a personal rifle with a Lilja 1-9 6 groove, again, another experimental test to see what we can get as far as pushing the bullets as fast as possible but still have them survive every launch.

Simply put, we are just tweaking the 7mm AM to get the last few usible horsepower down the barrel!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before I shipped the rifle back I did get velocities pushing the 3350 fps range with the J-4 jacketed 200 gr ULD RBBT. I was not able to do enough testing to tell if this was a practical load but we will know soon I am sure!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby, I couldn't have said it better myself. And it saved me a lot of typing also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boman......The old tube had several hundred rounds through it and I plan on one hell of a lot of shooting between now and hunting season. Given that, and the fact that I didn't want to get in the middle of hunting season and have a barrel that might have been at or near it's life span we made a change. I do a lot of shooting during hunting season any time I'm in an area where there are killer rocks but no game, thus lots of shooting during hunting season. Besides that it's good practice and keeps the ol' trigger finger in shape.

It was really an easy decision because I'd been talking with Kirby about Mike's barrels and we wanted to try and push it a little bit more and one thing lead to another and presto changeo, a new tube. Barrels are an expendable item, kinda like bullets and powder to my way of thinking. Time will tell but so far it's looking good. Wanted to shoot today but couldn't so hopefully tomorrow I can get out and dispose of some of those Canadian Missles that Richard is so kind as to send south. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.