Took the Allen Mags out to play-Some of Kirby's creations

ss7mm

Took the Allen Mags out to play-Some of Kirby\'s creations

Since I've always said I like to see pics with people's threads, I thought I'd better practice what I preach. We took the Allen Magnums, a 270 AM and a 7mm AM out to do some playing today.

This is my truck before all of the "stuff" starts coming out.
DSC02464Medium-1.jpg

This is the 270 AM set up to do some chrono work and load comparisons. We were also testing a Farrell 20 moa base to make sure we could zero at 300 yards.
DSC02408Medium.jpg

This is another shot of the 270 AM. We have 100 and 200 yards down the left and 300 yards just above and slightly to the right of the stop screen on the Oehler. There are rock bluffs at the head of the canyon that get us to 600 yards and if we go up on a slight ridge behind where the trucks are parked we can get over 900 yards into the upper rock bluffs. The neat thing about this spot is it's close to town and is private property. For the long stuff we have to drive farther but it's alllllll goooood!!!
DSC02410Medium.jpg

This is just an overall shot of the trucks, shade, chrono etc.
DSC02413Medium-1.jpg

This is a remote, timed shot of some poor lost soul getting ready to send some 7mm slugs down range.
DSC02436Medium-1.jpg

This is a shot of the AM's. 7mm AM on the left and 270 AM on the right. The 7mm just got a new barrel and I'm doing the break in today. The 270 AM just came back with a new McMillan hunter stock. Both are Kirby creations.
DSC02442Medium.jpg

I've been asked about the recoil of the AM's and if interested, this is a small video clip of the 7mm AM and it's recoil.

"Link to small video"

All in all the day went quite well. Nothing too serious, just some scope/base and load testing and comparison and a barrel break in. Just thought it might be of interest to some as it's been kinda quiet around here lately. Don't pay any attention to the audio, it was my buddy's first time using my camera. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: Took the Allen Mags out to play-Some of Kirby\'s creations

Thats the kind of bench I need. where did you get the plans for that or do you have the plans for it.
I want to build one like that.

Nice pics. Couple of fine looking rifles as well!!!! Seems that you may have more crap than we do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. That canopy is life saver, isn't it!!!???!!!

Blas 93:

I don't have plans as it's just a bench I've made a couple of and used before. This one was built in two stages to do some tests as to how stiff and ridgid it would be in both stages. It works pretty good because both ends are adjustable so I can raise and lower either end to adjust for varying terrain. It's rock solid and I can sit or stand on it, no problems.

If you'd like some info, more pics etc. just e-mail me. The address is in my profile.

Looks like you had fun today SS!! Any day spent shooting is better than a day spent sittin on your butt.

I didnt think I would ever see someone with more stuff in the back of their pickup than me but you got me beat buddy!! Its fun having all that cool stuff to play with but man I hate putting it all back up.

When you get some more shots down that new pipe you need to give us a report on it. The 270 looks **** nice, but it came from kirby so what else would we expect.

So is that you behind the 7mm??? It is always nice to put a face with the board members.

Good lookin stuff SS7MM

take it easy
steve

Bill:

The sun shade is definitely a life saver when it's warm outside. If it wasn't for the sun shade I'd only be shooting very early in the morning or later in the afternoon when it cools down a little. The rifles work very well together. The color of the McMillan hunter was ordered to be the same percentages as the A-5 on the 7mm AM and it actually came out pretty close. I've seen some McMillan colors that turn out quite different even though ordered the same.

I guess you could say Kirby does pretty good work for a country boy from Montana!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve:

I agree about shooting being being better than just about anything else. There is one other thing I like better but I don't want Len to nuke this so I'll just leave it at that.

Don't know if there's more stuff or not. The pickup is smaller so it's probably just an optical illusion. I'm goint to start using different stools/chairs that fold instead of the old standby oak beater chair. that means I can then add another layer above the existing stuff and I can then easily take my 4'x8' folding target setup for long range testing.

Just got a couple of new AR500 plates so I don't really know where the plates and stands are going to fit in, but they will go in somewhere I guarantee that.

Usually for a full day of shootintg, the back end is full as well as the rear seat area of the cab. Sometimes we even take a second truck to make things easier. I remember as a younger kid than I am now, going shooting and only taking a gun and one box of shells. Times, and technologies, have sure changed.

I got the break in done so I'll be loading up some test ammo for the 7 and will be getting them down range as soon as time permits.

Yup, that's me hiding behind the 7mm.

You gotta love the massive recoil on Kirby's bad boys, it is astounding to have that massive of a case and so little felt recoil.

Last year I was shooting my 270AM so much I was extremely used to its light recoil. Right after shooting it one day I took out my TC Encore 209x50 to test some 300gr Shockwaves. I made the mistake of shooting it like the 270 and needless to say the nikon scope ended up on the bridge of my nose!!! Once my eyes cleared up I sat back down and remebered how to shoot a non-Kirby gun. HA HA HA

I am ready to see what you think of that bbl, looks **** nice!!

take it easy
steve

Is that a box mag I see on the 7? If so which is it and how does it feed? I have had nothing but troubles getting some of these big cases(remmy ultra mags) to feed.

Jason

strictlyRUM:

The bottom metal and DBM are from HS and it works great. I shoot the gun single shot but I had Kirby install the DBM in case I had a hunting need for a repeater, like in furry critters that have a tendency to want to chew on you. The bullets have to be seated shorter to function through the mag. I am going to work up a load some day for the shorter rounds but so far I haven't. I've loaded up a couple of dummy rounds to try though, and they feed fine. The Lapua cases are a little bigger than the RUMs but they feed fine.

So what is the max OAL that can fit in one of those mags. By the way those are two geat looking cannons.

Jason

Dick,
Thanks for the video clip. Which brake was that? Holland?
I have a QD on my 7mm Dakota XP-100 and the recoil with the 200 grain WC's is hard to believe-How little of it there is!!!
I need to get a video clip of me shooting the XP with the 8.5-25 Leupold just to illustrate how good some of todays brakes work.

Keep us updated on how everthing contiues with your rig.
Thanks for all the pics!

xphunter:

The brake is the Holland QD and it works great. I had a little gal that weighs about 100# soaking wet shoot it several times and she loved it. They work great.

If I can remember to, the next time we're out I'll try to get a video of the same gun without the brake as a comparison.

I'd like to see a video of you shooting your XP-100 with the 200gr. Wildcats. Would be very interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.