Took Stockade 7WSM to the range

RockZ

Just recieved my 7WSM from Kevin.
Timed and trued long action
Sharpshooter supply trigger
Woodchuck stock, bedded
Aluminum tensioned barrel w/ stockade muzzle brake
All work done by Kevin.

Did some workups at 100yds to get a feel for how it shoots and do some seating depth tests.
The 168 Bergers and 175SMK's grouped well so I loaded three different loads with each bullet ,H1000 67.5gr ,68.5gr,69.5gr and shot a round robin ladder at 565yds.

The 168 Bergers shot the 67.5gr load into a nice 2.5" 3 shot group and the 175 SMK's shot the 69.5gr load into beautiful 1.22" group- both at 565yds.

I haven't even tweaked the loads yet, but to say I am happy with the results would be an understatement!

I think if I shoot the Bergers at about 70.2gr it will hit the same node as the 175gr Sierra load.
I'm also going to try the 162 AMAX

PICT0070.jpg

PICT0073.jpg

Last edited:
I just sent Kevin my old Savage for a complete makeover.. being changed to 7WSM, new barrel, etc... can't wait for it to come home. Like the pic of the target.. Have you had time to shoot again??

I would like to see what else it could do for grouping .. that was a sweet group @500+..

De Opresso Liber

Kevin does good work. I hope to get out in a week or so.
I've loaded more rounds of that load with the 175smk's.
I'm also trying some different loads with the 168vld's and 162 amax.

I've been out to the range a few more times and have always shot 1/2 moa or less at 565.
This rifle is a shooter.
First shot, cold bore no sighters drilled a 3" steel swinging gong at 565yds.
I'll be taking this baby out to wyoming at the end of the month on an antelope hunt.

The rifle worked out well on the antelope hunt. In 30mph winds I shot one at 580yds and one at 410yds. Both dropped in their tracks.

Actually the 580 yd shot had a 20mph component, but the 410yd shot had a full 30mph wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.