Thoughts on remington 700 long range

I may have a chance to get a decent deal on one of these rifles in 7mm rem mag. What's everyone's thoughts on one of these? Plan would be to shoot it for now with a rebarrel in the near future. I just dont want to walk into a disaster with remingtons quality as of late. I'd be trading my browning x-bolt for it as I'm no longer really happy with the rifle as unlike to shoot long range and that rifle isnt meant for it nor fun to do it with.
REPLY: My group size says it all. Remington's quality issues are a thing of the past. Don't you fix the problems in your world? This group is done with the STOCK rifle. Remington 700 heavy barrel, stainless, 7mm Rem Mag, Leupold VX3i 8.5-25 x 50 LRP, Nightforce Direct Mount, Hornady ELD-match 162 gr, RE-22, 100 yard target, Hornady brass, CCI mag primers, no brake(not needed), bench, 4 shots. That's a dime not a quarter. Know the truth my friends. It's part of being accurate!
C99A4F7F-D019-4424-BC3A-944AB4D6AF6F.jpeg

Go ahead and buy it! Had one in a 300wm and it shot ok. Not something to lug around in the mountains. I have since screwed the barrel out and installed a RemAge barrel. Shoots better than I can hold it. As far as the naysayers go the 700 action is what most everything else is based on and the so called "bad" triggers today are totally adjustable to whatever you desire. Also doesn't take much to true up any 700 action that may need it. I also can't agree more with what Mudrunner2005 had to say!

I bought this rifle and had to rebarrel it true the action and put a trigger in it so after another 1500 it's a shooter

Had the exact same gun in 7mm. Bedded it put a break on it and tuned the trigger it was a .5 to .6 hammer all day long with the Hornady ELD-x. Never shoot anything it didn't drop where it stood.

I have a 700 LRH in .300 win mag. I am very please with the accuracy as it is a half MOA. I have it topped with a Nightforce NSX on Nightforce 20 MOA rail and rings I shoot a Berger 185 VLD at 2850. This is a very capable combination past 600 on mammals, and 1000 on steel. I did change the trigger to a Timney and added a brake, the brake is also the mount for the suppressor. I think you would do well with the Remington.

Attachments

• 20180312_161527.jpg
    20180312_161527.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 87
I may have a chance to get a decent deal on one of these rifles in 7mm rem mag. What's everyone's thoughts on one of these? Plan would be to shoot it for now with a rebarrel in the near future. I just dont want to walk into a disaster with remingtons quality as of late. I'd be trading my browning x-bolt for it as I'm no longer really happy with the rifle as unlike to shoot long range and that rifle isnt meant for it nor fun to do it with.
Friend of mine bought one. We changed the trigger, skim bedded it, and ran a Tubbs kit through it, minus the coarsest bullets. Shoots great. His is a 300WM.

Remington and Winchester's precipitous fall from grace is the reason we buy Kimber now. My 8400 Montana in 270 WSM, shoots 110 gr TTSX, 129 gr LR X Bullets and 130 Accubonds into tiny 3 shot groups. My wife's Mountain Ascent 7mm-08 is a dream to carry and the accuracy blew my mind. It shoots 145 gr LR X Bullets into 3/8" at 100 yards over H414 @ 2,800 FPS. Kimber's have smooth actions, 3 position Model70 type safety. But I did go with an M48 Liberty in 30 Nosler last year and can't wait to get some development going for it.

There is nothing wrong with REMINGTON 700's, I own 4 of them in SS Sendero with HS Precision stocks. Great carry rifles! I have Heavy Fluted Barrels on all of mine, and they're ACCURATE as HELL with my TWEAKED Handloads! I should add that all of mine are from the late 1990's.
Theosmithjr

Why not rebarrel the xbolt?
With the 700 you get an action(hopefully it's true enough) and a m40 b&c stock. Trigger is garbage, and you want to pull the barrel.
I'd ask yourself what you want to end up with?
Just had my 30/06 LH SS Brn Stalker put in Krg barrel , McMill A-5 stock , sear polished new springs set at 1 1/4 lb trig. pull and shoots factory Federal 175 TLR's 3/16- 1/4 MOA have only run it out to 300 yards due to time limitation will take to 650 soon , max I will shoot this bullet out of 30/06 Am very happy with this rebuild

If a company can let itself get $875 million in debt, how good fo you think their quality control is?

All corporations have debt. People think thats its the little guy struggling to pay a mortgage when it comes to debt. Corporations are not immune. As awful as debt is, its what drives our economy. Loans provide the quick capital for innovation. With that innovation comes risk. Remington took risks and could not pay back their loans after their planned return on investments faultered. Its happens all the time. Companies merge, get sold, have hostile take overs.

Look at our car industry in 2009. Remington isn't unique with bankruptcy. Bankruptcy is not solely based on the product they are offering either. They can make a great product, but then something like Trump getting elected as president can hurt them. Since Trump, firearm sales have fallen flat. Its no longer a sellers market for firearms. The classifieds are a prime example. Guys selling $4k guns for $2.5k? Becuase they are junk? No, its because no one is buying right now. Same with the AR market. In 2012 the normal price for an AR was $850, now you cant sell an upper for $250.

Did bad leadership hurt remington? Of course, but it also has to do with the markets, current trends, political pressure, inflation. Its just not as simple as remington = crappy product = cant manage funds.

Why not rebarrel the xbolt?
With the 700 you get an action(hopefully it's true enough) and a m40 b&c stock. Trigger is garbage, and you want to pull the barrel.
I'd ask yourself what you want to end up with?

Be careful re-barreling Japanese-made actions. I understand they use softer steel in the actions and, if the threads gall, it will ruin your rifle.

Remington's barrels are some of the truest around. My 1982 700 was miked at P. O. Ackley's shop and Ackley recommended keeping the barrel due to it's excellent concentricity. If you are looking at an older Remington, I'd probably change only the trigger. Mine has the original trigger and, of course, I'm extremely careful with it. I make sure to keep it clean. It is set at 2.25# and is wonderful.

I have easily installed a Timney trigger on later model 700's and they work beautifully. Very easy to install and breaks cleanly at 2.5# from the factory. you may decide to go this route. The Remington 700 is a great hunting rifle!!!

I ran across this last week.

I pretty much made up my mind on one of these copy-cat builds.

You folks in the USA are dam lucky since most of these units are in your area.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1825568-M40-Family-Who-owns-one

My friend owns an original A-3,,, one of our shooters at the Factory FTR uses 1 to compete and hunt with it,,, its the one gun thing for him.

He calls it his short case 30/06,,, 185 Juggernauts as he seems to score pretty high in the factory stock class.

What's not to like about the Remmy.

Easy for most gun smiths to work over """if""" that's the case,,, I could of left my other 2 units fully stock if I was just hunting with them,,, but I enjoy the tinkering and getting them to shoot the best they can.

Another plus is the life time actions,,, a person can change all the barrels he wants and the actions """in most cases""" remain trued.

If this wasn't the case,,, how come there are so many of them being used in PRS,,, F Class,,, and TR.

I have 3 off them that are silky smooth in fast loading and rigid as can be.

30+ years of critter harvests across North America. The M-40 builds will add to the good times fore sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.