This is not the norm for me. Is it safe?

bluedog69

So we bought a brand new factory bolt 308 win. Put a box of 20 factories through it. No problems. Then I loaded up some 110 gr Hornady V max with Accurate 2200 powder and CCI Large Rifle primers. Load data said 46.7 grs starting load and 51.9 grs max. I loaded up 20 at 49.8 grs. Middle of the road load. Lapua brass. Brand new. 2.740 COAL Big Mistake had to pull 16 bullets.
So ended up with ejector marks black around the first primer and sticky ejection. Backed it down to 46.7. Still a faint ejector mark. Then went below starting load to 45.7 maybe a mark maybe not. Maybe a very very slight sticky pull out of the brass. Or I imagined it. So I went to 45 grains. Definitely no problems.

1) This is my first lapua brass
2) First time using accurate 2200 in anything other than a 17 hornet.
3) I did stop and clean the gun good before moving to the 45 grain loads.

Main question is has anyone ran this combo above and is it safe to back down to 45 grains? Never have had to go below a listed starting load? Lapua brass known to be lower case capacity?

Just pondering the why's that seemed way over on pressure signs.

Lapua brass is typically thicker then most outside of maybe ADG so it will have slightly less capacity then say Hornady or Federal
I was thinking it was. But still not sure that would be the whole reason. 51.9 book max. 46.7 book starting load and starting load still showed a faint but clear ejector mark.

Gonna have to do some investigation.

2.740 is what the book said. Was in a hurry so I didn't try to find the lands.
Need to check this before you go any further. Blacken a bullet back with a marker and then chamber. Look for marks to see if it is possibly being out into the lands which in some instances will cause pressure issues.

2.740 is what the book said. Was in a hurry so I didn't try to find the lands.
Never be in a hurry.
You should check where you are loading to CBTO (Cartridge Base To Bullet Ogive) and where you Lands start. Use a Hornady Modified Case Guage. It is important to know where your bullet is in relationship to the Lands in your barrel. You can also use this to TUNE your loads.
Berger has a good description.

I use Lapua brass on all of my rifles and they are constructed a little thicker, but I have never run into a problem with "Book Loads" and the issues you were seeing with them. The only time I have noticed anything is when getting above max loads in the development and let's say I will have to use less powder than in a piece of Federal brass…. I dont have an answer for what you were seeing, but I wouldn't believe it would be the brass with the book loads, as they are usually on the conservative side anyway.

If you are in a hurry, you can just push the loaded round into the chamber with your finger. If it stays in the barrel, you are stuck into the lands. Then you don't shoot it until you seat short enough he don't stick in the lands like that.

Never be in a hurry.
You should check where you are loading to CBTO (Cartridge Base To Bullet Ogive) and where you Lands start. Use a Hornady Modified Case Guage. It is important to know where your bullet is in relationship to the Lands in your barrel. You can also use this to TUNE your loads.
and if I stuck to "what the book says" heck! I wouldn't have found out a whole lot about powder potential! :D

Oddly the worst pressure sign was the shell that was seated at 2.720. Was letting my boy try to set the die up. He went to deep and we had to back it out some to get the 2.740.

These 110s are short little bullets compared to 155s and 180s. I will definitely do some checking though. Which factory 150s are what we shot a box of.

I just found a guy showing the Hornady book on YouTube for the 110 vmax in 308 and they didn't list Accurate 2200. They only listed Accurate 2015 with what I think it said 39 gr up to 47 grain. Hard to read the charges off of TV. LOL.

Anyway yes I usually try to find lands and work up seating and powder weights etc. just wanted to throw a different scope on last night and get it close.

First time for everything I guess. Medium book load was HOT evidently.

Never be in a hurry.
Yep. I usually do. I have the Hornady CBTO kit. I just figured a medium book load and a published COAL length for the exact bullet would be way off the lands. Figured the book max was a very safe max. I am not one to go over max anyway.

I definitely have some homework to do. Not pointing fingers at any one thing or component. Just been doing this for 35 years and never had an experience like this.