Is this brass safe to reload???

That happens occasionally with my AR 15 the brass is hitting the ejection port like said earlier try to adjust gas pressure reload with lite load for fireforming or discard

Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass out of a Dessert Tech MDR (semiauto). The location of the damage has me concerned. I'm not looking for precision loads. Just looking to load some practice rounds, 200 yards max, but I don't want risk catastrophic case failure. Any thoughts? Thanks!
View attachment 192638
Shoot them if they chamber. The firing will iron out the wrinkles

Well, looks like I will be going against the grain on this one.

I have 5 - 6.5 Grendel's on the AR platform that when I put the can on they tend to beat up the side of SOME of the cases. I reload them with my standard powder charge and shoot them. My 7.62x39 AR's will occasionally have a case kicked back by the brass catcher. I do the same with it too.

Brass life...I can not tell you how many times I have reloaded my cases. I have one box of 50 that the head stamp is nearly smooth and hard to read. Out of that box I have lost three cases to split necks and one to head separation.

I reload both chamberings via a chronograph so I'm pretty sure they are in the neighborhood of 50,000psi. So I never see ejector swipes or torn up case head rims.

Sooo I dont see any reason to treat them any differently!

That little dent is going to make zero difference. Load em up, shoot them in the same gun. Like some of the others have said, dial down the vent till it quits doing this but even if it never goes away completely it will have zero effect on brass life, groups or anything else that matters. If it was a real sharp crease I would maybe think about it, but this is basically a dent that will come right out.

To look at dinged up brass, look up what an HK91/PTR91 does to brass. I had one and it would beat the snot out of brass.

You're not kidding. My 91 put a big horizontal crease half way up. Still reloaded fine, even without buying the HK accessory brass buffer.

Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass out of a Dessert Tech MDR (semiauto). The location of the damage has me concerned. I'm not looking for precision loads. Just looking to load some practice rounds, 200 yards max, but I don't want risk catastrophic case failure. Any thoughts? Thanks!
View attachment 192638
Looks like feed ramp marks going into the chamber on loading

How new is your MDRX? This seems to be a common problem with MDRs, at least in 6.5CM. The problem happens when the round chambers, regardless if new or reloaded brass. At least I've had this happen with Hornady, Winchester and Sig Sauer New brass straight from the box and loading it without firing it to see what was happening. I've been told over time this will correct itself from DTA... my thoughts are they still have problems with less than optimal machining and engineering that we're beta testing for them. I have less than 300 rounds down range so for now I'll give it some time to break in. If the dings don't smooth out after resizing them, then I'll probably toss them.

DTA is well aware of this issue and for the moment they are blaming it on 'soft' brass. I don't buy it. It's also not the forward eject system. I've taken it off and let the rounds side eject
And the brass still has the marks. As noted above, I think it's the feed ramps. But can't prove it yet

How new is your MDRX? This seems to be a common problem with MDRs, at least in 6.5CM. The problem happens when the round chambers, regardless if new or reloaded brass. At least I've had this happen with Hornady, Winchester and Sig Sauer New brass straight from the box and loading it without firing it to see what was happening. I've been told over time this will correct itself from DTA... my thoughts are they still have problems with less than optimal machining and engineering that we're beta testing for them. I have less than 300 rounds down range so for now I'll give it some time to break in. If the dings don't smooth out after resizing them, then I'll probably toss them.

DTA is well aware of this issue and for the moment they are blaming it on 'soft' brass. I don't buy it. It's also not the forward eject system. I've taken it off and let the rounds side eject
And the brass still has the marks. As noted above, I think it's the feed ramps. But can't prove it yet

If you think it is the feed ramp, easy way to know for sure is let the round chamber from the mag. Remove the mag, under good light, look down the mag opening and gently eject it by hand and look for dents.

Was the brass in the pics cleaned before it was taken. A lot of times these dents are caused by gas blowing back up the neck. Usually it will leave a sooty neck. Caused of this are too much neck clearence and loads without enough pressure. You can measure a fired case neck and a loaded round to see how much clearence there is in the neck.
Hope you figure it out.
Shep

These are new brass chambered just now, the dents are occurring when the round is chambered. It's definitely the rifle and not the brass. It looks a like the right side feed ramp has a wear mark?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    866.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 70D4DC55-6326-45B4-A7D9-B92F13208CC1.jpeg
    70D4DC55-6326-45B4-A7D9-B92F13208CC1.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts