Is this everything I need to reload?

Troutslayer

So, the only way I could figure out how to post this here was to "create a wish list" at Midway USA. As far as I can tell, this is everything I need to get started reloading for the .300RUM. If anyone wants to give it a look over and tell me what I might be missing and what I really don't need I would really appreciate it. For anyone else looking to get into it, from what I have read here this represents a good compromise between value and performance... I hope.

You can see the list here: MidwayUSA - Wish List

I'm not against dropping a little more coin if there is something I should have that is not on the list. Just don't want to find out that I'm missing some key components. I will probably source some of the necessities locally if the price is comparable to Midway.

Deburring tool:

Starting out I would look at the LEE hand trimmer instead of the Fosters. I find it much faster and less setup time. You purchase one cutter and then you get the shell holder and measuring pin sepreatly for each caliber. it will save 60 bucks and use the money for a powdered dump and trickler or more powder.

Nice to have:
Powder trickler
Powder dump
Hornady OAL guage

Willys

I agree with Willys46 on everything. The Lee hand trimmer works great, and trims to the exact same length every time.

I would skip the RCBS shell holder and get the Lee universal set. It is Midway #786187.

I've perused your Wish List and offer two comments:

1. You can have Redding dies for about the same money as the Hornady's. The difference is in the finish.

2. Take a look at the MidWay reviews on the Lee scale, particularly the ones lower down. I would recommend an Ohaus scale from RCBS (502 or 505) or Dillon.

Actually, getting both the RCBS press and scale, the wise choice might be their kit. It includes their hand priming tool and powder measure with a funnel, a loading block, and some case prep tools, including a chamfering tool that you did not list. Take a look at MidSouth's prices ($260 for the kit).

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449357

Last edited:
I don't see a powder measure on there or a trickler as mentioned above. Best I can tell you is I've been reloading for nearly 50 years now and I'd sure Recommend Lee's Anniversery reloading kit. It comes with everything you need to reload except the dies for a hundred bucks.

Over the years I've used most of the presses on the market and I certainly can't tell the difference in ammo accuracy wise between my Rockchucker and the Lee press. If I were going to buy any other press it would be the one the military uses to load their match ammo on. The Forster Co-Ax Single Stage Press. Here's a look at it.

MidwayUSA - Forster Co-Ax Single Stage Press

I load for the following calibers.
Rifles

204 Ruger
220 Swift
280 Remington
7mm Remington mag
30-06
300 Win mag
300 Remington Ultra-mag
8mm Remington mag

Handguns

38 Special
357 mag
40 S&W
41 mag
44 mag
45 ACP
45 Colt

The Lee kit with the new Breech lock press costs less than an RCBS press alone and comes with the powder scale, powder measure, auto-prime and case prep tools. I'd also add the new Lee manual and at least one other such as the fine Lyman or RCBS or Speer loading manual.

Use the extra money and get a case tumbler and the necessary Lee trimmers. I like the deluxe Lee die sets that come with both a full length sizer and a collet sizer. Don't know if they have the deluxe set for the 300 ultra-mag.

Here's the way my bench is set up.

ReloadingbenchRemodel-41.jpg

Getting the powder measures and scale up at eyel level helps and frees up bench space.

still needs brass, primers and powder. Maybe these are local pickup, to avoid the hazmat shipping charges on primer & powder...

get the hornady lnl oal gage with modified cases for your guns and get the lnl comparator set too.

also get a collet bullet puller with the collets for your caliber(s) and maybe an inertia bullet puller too (looks like a hammer, doesn't work on all calibers).
With the collet puller, you save the powder and mark up the bullet (usually okay to re-use) and with the inertia puller, you save the bullet (sometimes the tip gets dented) and lose the powder. In both cases, you save the primed brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.