This Changes Everything: Case Cleaning

White rice and cap of acetone in the Lyman 1200 tumbler. Brass comes out super shiny and the media is cheap! I've got a bag of rice going on 5 tumbles and its still doing the trick. You are all welcome.

- The BFD
Now are we talkin long grained Basmati rice or the shorter more tender Cal-Rose Sushi type rice, or even an Italian Arborio Risotto type rice? What about Farro would it work as well????

I would think the "long" grain would be more applicable seeings how this long range hunting forum, @BFD when you started down this road of magyvery discovery was there at least the flip of a coin to help the decision making process?

I would think the "long" grain would be more applicable seeings how this long range hunting forum, @BFD when you started down this road of magyvery discovery was there at least the flip of a coin to help the decision making process?
Heck no! If you want to make a splash, you gotta do the cannon ball!

BFD, did you add acetone to each load of brass if you did them back to back or if it was moist let er ride for another spin?

BFD, did you add acetone to each load of brass if you did them back to back or if it was moist let er ride for another spin?
So, I know you bought acetone. I think it worked pretty good. I only had a small sample though for two batches. I went looking through the garage for a replacement before I bought another can of acetone. (I have a nicely finished garage, heated, with motorcycles and 4 wheelers that I don't want burnt, LOL)

That Goof Off went the little extra mile over the pure acetone. There is like a 10% mix of something else with the acetone that seems to extend the cleaning properties. However, I saw such a just noticeable difference in the rice & pure acetone mix, that it lead me into the goof off.

Late to this thread but food for thought.
Know what your bowl is made of. I used acetone to clean industrial lenses and components 30 years ago. Some plastics react to acetone over time and degrade.

Rated Excellent
Because the chemical makeup of these plastics is so different from acetone, any reaction is negligible for mechanical properties.

• FEP
  • PFA
  • ETFE
  • ECTFE
  • PCTFE
  • PEEK
  • Polypropylene
Rated Good
These materials won't dissolve when exposed to acetone, but there are better choices. You can expect at least a minor effect they contact acetone.

• Ulltem
  • Radell
  • Polyethylene
Rated Fair
This category indicates that acetone would have a moderate effect on the plastic. On our chemical resistance chart, we just list one: acetal. If it comes into regular contact with acetone, your part will have a limited life.

Not Recommended
If acetone comes into contact with the plastics below, you can expect a severe effect, especially at a high concentration and over a long time. The chemical makeup of these plastics is too similar to acetone to resist it. The acetone will damage the plastic's surface, softening it, smearing it, or even dissolving the plastic.

• PVDF
  • Polycarbonate
  • Polysulfone
  • Cast Acrylic
  • PVC
  • CPVC

Recent Posts