what do i need for the 338RUM to reload today

motrapper

Ok guys i have a 338RUM XCR with a badger 20moa base mark 4 rings and a 6.5 x 20 lupe LR 50mm with varmit rec. a Dillion 550 press so i want to go to sportsman warehouse this morning and get started i will go with 225NAB now i need to buy dies once! whats the best ! and what powder should i use and can you tell me what case prep i should do thanks this round will be used on antelope to moose at 50yds to 800 to 900 i know i will have to slow down the loads for under 100yd opportunities
sid

First off - I am by no means an expert, so hopefully some of them will chime in a help out a bit.
that being said, I too, have used a dillion 550, using it i found that i really ended up using it one stage at a time and most importantly I hand measured the powder charge for each and every load for my 300RUM. I, too, like redding dies, i bought full length dies. the way i do it with my dillion 550 is to take preped brass, then lube that cases, size the case and put a new primer in, all in the first station. then i take the brass and add a hand measured powder charge. then once all the cases are full of powder i take them back to the press and put one in at a time and put them trough the next die to place the bullet.
I don't think the powder charge on the 550 is anywhere near accurate enough for a magnum rifle, so plan on using a scale. I can't really help with specific powders or loads for the 338 but do a search, there is tons of info here.

good luck!

the powder of choice for my 338 ultra mags, is H-1000, I too like redding dies, and I use a rcbs press!, some good loads for the .338 are on

338 Remington Ultra Mag
but every gon likes its own mix! so play some and see what your's likes!

All of my dies are Redding, except for my 30.06 seater which is a Forster. All benchrest seater dies. I wouldn't hesitate to go with either.

Powders: Hodgdon US869, Re22, Re25, H1000, Retumbo, Ramshot Magnum, VV N165, VV N560, and I would bet WC872 would be very good as well. I have the least experience with the latter.

Make sure all of your dies are trimmed to the same length after sizing. I would also weigh each charge.

yes all powder charges will be hand weighed and for big rifle i use the dillion like a single stage all though i would like to finally get a electronic powder dispenser and weight rig thanks for the imput I will get the Redding comp dies and regular resizing die the other thing i need is a good case trimmer any suggestions thanks oh one more thing is hand primer better then just letting the the press do it thanks

I use the RCBS hand primer and the trimmer from Sinclair....think it is a Wilson. It is the one where you place the case inside the bushing, makes for the most uniform trimming as the case is not held with a pilot in the mouth.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.