what do i need to start reloading?

Ryeguy

New to the reloading scene and want some advice. Calibers i will be reloading are 338 edge. and 300 wm. Any good books i need to understand process? What kit/equipment will i need to reload? Est prices?
Thanks

I would buy a good reloading manual and read. Most have pictures and how to do it. Another thing would be to find a good mentor that knows what he is doing. Matt

Lyman 49th edition and Richard Lee modern reloading. Read both first then the best thing that you can do is to find someone local who can show you their setup and how to work it.
If you do not know anyone, ask at a gun club or ask at your local gun store that stocks a big varied component and equipment stock. If you are in main land Nova Scotia I can show you what works for me.
You can expect to lay out $500.00 to $1000.00 to get going
2 books 50 t0 100 dollars
a solid press $120 to 400 (you can use a lee classic cast, rcbs, hornady, Lyman, redding big boss or Forester) your wallet will be your guide
a set of dies for each cal, $40 to 150 a set let your wallet be your guide
2 scales (1 beam and 1 digital) $50 t0 150
a powder dispenser The lyman 55 is a real good one about $100
a powder trickler $10 to 25
a primeing tool Lee makes a very good one as does Hornady and rcbs (the Lee hand prime is what I have been using now since 1990)
a set of shell holders (and you may need a separate set for the primeing tool also)
a trimmer, there are just too many out there but, for a start, try the Lee system it is cal specific but easy
chamfer and deburr tool
primer pocket cleaner
a bullet puller, the grip and pull is a good one
That is a start, so if at all possible find a mentor before you take the plunge

Last edited:
Look at the kits--RCBS HONADY - They should have most of the equipment you need to get started. You will probably want to get a few upgrades later on but it'll start you.
One of the best ways to learn the what-to-do's and the what-not-to-do's is to find a friend or mentor to help you get started after you read a few articals.
One thing you need to do is stay focused when reloading. I have made a mistake. By Gods grace no one got killed or seriously injured. But it sure is a wake up call. It is enjoyable and relaxing most of the time. Go slow to begin with and double check.

looks like most sets include there book. Does the book need to match maker of the two? RCBS rock chucker master kit. is that all i need to get started?

Concentration is a big deal. I would stay away from the lee challenger press. The classic cast is good though. You are going to want a big frame for the edge also. Record everything you do and measure everything, twice if need be. I taught myself sort of. I had a few I could talk to about it on occasion. This site and a few other helped a lot. Just make sure you can sift through the crap and you will be fine. Safety comes first in this, you are liable for yourself. If you stay safe, you will thank yourself for it later.

The books are starting spots and refrences. It should walk you thru the prosess. Different makes will have a little diff loads, but remember they need to play CYA when publishing data. Start there and work up in SLOW increments examiming cases for signs of over pressure. Talking with someone when you hit a road block is good.
Your rifle or pistol is unique, and will shoot a load better the another one. Trial and error, keeping records.

I wish I would have added it to my first post but didn't. If you need help or have a question or concern, call a tech at any of the manufacturers. Hornady, sierra, nosler, rcbs, and many more are more than willing to help. I have really really been impressed by Berger's tech team. There products may cost a little more, but if it keeps people like that a job, I wanna help.

ryeguy,
If I may. I suggest you get a .223 bolt action rifle to learn the reloading process on. It will all apply to your Edge and WM. The .223 brass and components are easy to find and its much cheaper to reload. Also go to the NRA website and see if there is an NRA certified metallic reloading instructor in your area who is giving classes. Or ask around at the range and see if a few shooters there can suggest a good shooter that reloads at the club who can mentor you. Just adding to all the good suggestions already mentioned. The BERGER bullet techs do monitor this string and we can help also with the rest of the guys. Enjoy your new endeavor and welcome to reloading!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.